FORUMS

P10 lite bootloader unlock (June 2020, Windows install)

25 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By Syrion, Junior Member on 10th June 2020, 11:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Damn, it's been a while since I was here. Back then it was mostly about Windows PDAs.

Disclaimer:
  1. Your warranty after this process is void and your phone will tell you it can not be trusted because it's unlocked.
  2. This is what worked for me. I did it on Windows 10. I just went through the process and it was a bit of mixing and matching various guides.
  3. I'm not your tech support, the only one responsible for following this is you.
  4. If any part of this guide doesn't work for you: too bad. Maybe Google or other users can help you with your problem.

Needed:
  1. An internet-enabled PC
  2. Huawei P10 Lite phone
  3. USB to Micro-USB cable
  4. HiSuite https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/hisuite/
  5. DC-Unlocker (comes with abd & fastboot) https://www.dc-unlocker.com/
  6. Optional: Huawei Driver Tools https://mega.nz/file/qrpBUIKA#zaI8Th...12lNc-uJZsIx4w

Note: I recommend not to buy credits until you've come to the part in my guide which says buy credits.

Install HiSuite
  1. Unzip and install HiSuite on your PC
  2. Start it at the end of the installation (it should show a button with "Start")
  3. Connect the phone to your computer with the USB cable and follow the instructions in HiSuite to install HiSuite on your phone
  4. At the bottom of the (Windows) HiSuite there's an option to do a System Upgrade, mine had the option to install an older version (Android 7 with EMUI 5.1) Install this. (This will take some time)
    Note: I've read that some people couldn't downgrade because of modern security fixes. It's possible I didn't run the latest updates, but as far as I'm aware everything was up to date.

The following part might be annoying because HiSuite tries to connect to the phone. I uninstalled it at this point, but I had the Driver Tools installed (and did the Install within said tools).

Phone
  1. Once the phone restarted, go through the set-up as quickly as possible (skip WiFi-setup, decline all optional things and skip account creation)
  2. Go to Settings > System > About Phone > Keep tapping the "Build Number" until you're told you're a developer
  3. Find the developer options (Usually in Settings > System and enable USB/ADB debugging
  4. Open the telephone app and type: *#*#2846579#*#* (it should open a menu automatically after the last *)
  5. Click Background Settings > USB Port Settings and select Manufacture Mode
  6. Once Manufacture Mode is selected, leave the phone untouched

DC-Unlocker, part 1
  1. Unzip the contents of the DC-unlocker zip
  2. Start dc-unlocker2client.exe
  3. In the top left, under "Select manufacturer" change "Huawei modems" to "Huawei phones"
  4. Click the button with the magnifying glass, if you did the previous step hovering should say "Detect phone" on hover

Example out put (this might differ for you, but triple-check a port is detected):
Code:
DC - Unlocker 2 Client 1.00.1431

Detecting phone :

selection :
manufacturer - Huawei phones
model - Auto detect (recommended)

Found Applications port COM3

Model               : Huawei HiSilicon Kirin Android phone
Serial NR.          : [redacted]
Firmware            : System 5.1.0.78(0VVV)
DC-Unlocker, part 2
  1. Check again if a model and port is shown in both the output and above the big buttons.
  2. In the top right, click About > Buy Credits

DC-Unlocker site
  1. Select your payment processor
  2. By default it creates a new account, unless you've used this service before, you probably want to keep it this way.
  3. Fill in a username and an email address
  4. You need 4 credits (€4 for me) at the time of writing this, but do check the link "How much do I need?"
  5. Hit confirm and go through the payment process, wait until everything is processed (if you use a script blocker, you might want to temporarily disable it).
  6. At the end you should get confirmation page with your username, a password and 4 credits. (Username and password will be mailed too.)

DC-Unlocker, part 3
  1. Go back to DC-Unlocker
  2. In the top right, click "Server" and enter the details you've gotten
  3. Click "Check login" and see if the output window shows your username and the credits you have left (which should be 4 at the time of writing)
  4. In the top right, click "Unlocking" and then click "Read bootloader code"
  5. The output should show you the bootloader code once it's done. Copy this to a textfile and save it (and keep it in the memory).
  6. You can close DC unlocker once you've saved the code.

Don't be lazy and try to copy/paste the commands following in the next section, since you want to keep the code in your memory, as seen in step 6. Besides, I'll show you some shortcuts anyway! Keep in mind that our example code is 1111222233334444 (yours most likely isn't, mine sure wasn't) and that [tab] will mean the tab-key on your keyboard.

PowerShell/Command Prompt
  1. In the folder where you unzipped dc-unlocker2client.exe to, press [shift] on your keyboard and hold it while right-clicking in an empty area underneath the files, then click "Open PowerShell (or command prompt) here".
  2. Whatever command-line you started will open, type ad[tab] and adb.exe should be appear (shows up as .\adb.exe in PowerShell)
  3. Follow this by typing reboot bootloader. So it should show as
    Code:
    ./adb.exe reboot bootloader
    (no ./ in command prompt)
  4. Hit [enter] and the phone should reboot to a screen with a white background
  5. Once the bootloader screen shows (white background with the android mascot) type fast[tab] in PowerShell/Command prompt and follow it up by oem unlock[space]
  6. If you still have the bootloader code in memory, right-click in PowerShell/Command prompt to paste it. Your entire line should be
    Code:
    ./fastboot.exe oem unlock 1111222233334444
  7. Hit [enter], the unlocking will start and factory reset your phone. My output was:
    Code:
    (bootloader) The device will reboot and do factory reset...
    OKAY [ 10.330s]

If everything went right you'll see the Huawei/Android bootscreen and then a warning that the phone is "unlocked and can not be trusted" to use or something like that. It'll boot into the OS after that.

I'd like to remind you of the disclaimers at the top, but hopefully this will help some of you going through the process.

Edits
  1. Forgot about USB debugging
  2. Added the warning you get after a successful unlock
  3. Changed the build number tapping sentence
  4. Rewrote a sentence for clarity
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Syrion For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Syrion Ad-Free
11th June 2020, 06:30 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Very nice guide, if ppl ask about unlocking we just link this from now on...
The Following User Says Thank You to csoller For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift csoller Ad-Free
15th June 2020, 12:41 AM |#3  
Flag València
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This is a very helpful guide, thank you so much! My question is, if I wanted to flash twrp when the bootloader is unlocked, is there a way to upgrade it to Oreo once again without locking the bootloader again? I can't seem to find a twrp tutorial where they use Nougat/Emui 5 to flash twrp, and all the tutorials to upgrade to Oreo/Emui 8 look like they're locking the bootloader once again and I don't really want to waste 4 euros to go back to the start.
15th June 2020, 01:04 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
A bootloader unlock should be permanent? I've been moving between Android 7 (EMUI 5), Android 8 (Emui 8) and Android 10 myself in all kinds of directions.

Besides, I think the code is tied to your device, so you should be able to use it again. (But I'm not sure about this!)
15th June 2020, 05:21 AM |#5  
Flag València

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrion

A bootloader unlock should be permanent? I've been moving between Android 7 (EMUI 5), Android 8 (Emui 8) and Android 10 myself in all kinds of directions.

Besides, I think the code is tied to your device, so you should be able to use it again. (But I'm not sure about this!)

Thank you for your quick reply! So after the bootloader unlock, did you flash twrp on Android 7? or did you upgrade your phone to Android 8 and flash twrp then? How did you manage to upgrade it to Android 8?

I really appreciate your help with the previous tutorial, I've done everything until the buy credits part (I'm waiting a bit for that part) and I'm planning on getting to the end of the tutorial at least before August. My idea is to upgrade to Android 8 + flash twrp and Magisk, hopefully I'll be able to do all of that!
15th June 2020, 01:41 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
I did the above procedure on an up to date, official stock Huawei android. Both EMUI & Android are 8. I'm in the Netherlands, so it'should be the same model as in Spain. (WAS-LX1A)

The HiSuite step is to downgrade from EMUI 8 (Android 8) to EMUI 5 (Android 7), since that seems to have less securities to make it easier to unlock the bootloader.
15th June 2020, 06:40 PM |#7  
Flag València

More
Oh, I understand now! One more question (sorry if I'm being annoying, it's my first time playing with a Huawei, I must say that Samsungs are far easier to root/unlock lol): If I follow your method, but after getting the bootloader unlock code and right before unlocking the bootloader, I use HiSuite to upgrade back to Android 8/Emui 8, would the procedure be fine? like, it's totally fine to unlock the bootloader either with android 7 or 8, the only time I need android 7 is to get my code because DC unlocker supports them better, right?

Again, thank you so much!!!
16th June 2020, 03:05 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
I'm not sure to be honest. But I reverted to 7/EMUI 5 because I read around here on the board that's better for trying to unlock.
28th June 2020, 08:29 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thank you,

Only fastboot.exe oem unlock xxxxx failed with the following error: FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.022s

This was resolved by going back to settings, developer options and check 'enable oem unlocking'. I didn't read that in your guide.
4th July 2020, 07:24 AM |#10  
Flag Sint-Pauwels
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrion

I did the above procedure on an up to date, official stock Huawei android. Both EMUI & Android are 8. I'm in the Netherlands, so it'should be the same model as in Spain. (WAS-LX1A)

The HiSuite step is to downgrade from EMUI 8 (Android 8) to EMUI 5 (Android 7), since that seems to have less securities to make it easier to unlock the bootloader.

Hi, I have the same model. But I can't figure out how to update to EMUI8 again (or which custom recovery works). It doesn't find the update in HiSuite and it doesn't find it via System update. Do you happen to know how? Thank you.
6th July 2020, 02:59 PM |#11  

More
What should I do next?
I did manage to unlock the bootloader thanks to this very clear post. I did downgrade to Android 7 / Emui 5.1.1 and have a working rooted system but he is trying to upgrade again to android 8 / Emui 8. I know by experience that it will lock again with the higher version (the unlock code can be used several time fortunately).
I did try to flash some roms on it, going for instance to Lineage OS 14 but it was all a disaster and I think that I need some guidance now..
I am not a newbee for rooting and flashing but do not understand yet the Huawei system; is that so that I have to choose a new ROM with caution, especially with the Emui version? Looking at the old posts, I find some old ROM's even with Emui 5 version but do not understand the path that I should follow to progressively upgrade.
Thanks in advance for your orientations!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)