[GUIDE] How to change Boot Logo of P8 Lite 2017

Search This thread

GokulNC

Jan 10, 2015
Chennai
github.com
Note:
This is not bootanimation, this is the splash screen (the 'Huawei' boot logo which is displayed when device is switched ON)
This is for Huawei P8 Lite 2017 Only.. (Resolution 1080x1920)
For other devices, please send me your splash.img so that I can create a tool for you too.

Requirements:
1. Rooted Huawei P8 Lite 2017 (any ROM)
2. Optional: Terminal Emulator app or Custom Recovery or atleast working fastboot in computer
3. You're proceeding at your own risk.

Use this tool and instructions:
Huawei OEM_logo Changer
Note: Use a 1080x1920 pic, as .bmp file (in rgb565 format as specified in that post)

Old method:

STEPS to create boot logo:

1. Download & Extract this in computer: Huawei_P8_Lite_2017_Logo_Maker.zip

2. Make sure you have a picture in BMP format with resolution exactly 1080x1920px. (Can be of any format)

3. Now rename your picture as logo.bmp & replace it inside "pics" folder of the extracted folder. (Or directly edit the 'logo.bmp' file)

4. Finally, run the 'CREATE_LOGO.bat' to create oeminfo.img and flashable zip file, which you can find inside the "output" folder after completion.

STEPS to flash boot logo:
Steps to backup your oeminfo.img:
Open Terminal Emulator, type the following command to save your stock oeminfo.img to your Internal Storage:
Code:
su
dd if=/dev/block/platform/hi_mci.0/by-name/oeminfo of=/sdcard/oeminfo_stock.img

Now, choose any one easy method to install:

a. To flash from recovery:
Transfer the flashable_logo.zip to your device and flash from TWRP or CWM or Philz or any other custom recovery.

b. To flash from Terminal Emulator:
Transfer the oeminfo.img to your device's Internal Storage, Open Terminal Emulator & enter the following to flash it:
Code:
su
dd if=/sdcard/oeminfo.img of=/dev/block/platform/hi_mci.0/by-name/oeminfo

c. To flash from Fastboot mode:
Code:
fastboot flash oeminfo oeminfo.img

Finally, Reboot and check if the bootlogo has changed!!

Note:
Incase something goes wrong or device doesn't bootup, just flash the stock oemlogo.img from custom recovery or fastboot.

Credits:
1. @CrimsonBloodfang who provided the stock oemlogo.img of P8 Lite 2017 (PRA-LX2)..
2. @GokulNC (myself ;)) who wrote this script

Hit the Thanks :good: button if it worked for you :)

You're welcome to post the splash images that you created..

Attachments

• PRA-LX2_stock_logo_P8lite.zip
    404 KB · Views: 443
  • Huawei_P8_Lite_2017_Logo_Maker.zip
    12.3 MB · Views: 695
Last edited:

MIcHiJK

Feb 13, 2016
Is that working with all variants of the p8lite 2017? I rebranded mine to the Chinese Honor Version.

Striike

Mar 15, 2015
Doesn't work for me., same logo as before.
rebranded mine too

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

https://imgur.com/a/XAup4
just made this btw, it's already in the right format. :)

CrimsonBloodfang

Feb 23, 2016
TESTING:
@CrimsonBloodfang
1. Can you please check if this tool is working??
2. Please check if flashing the zip from custom recovery works.
3. Please attach your 'oeminfo' partition backup. I guess it might have the logo inside it (if the above procedure doesn't work)
4. Are there different variants of P8 Lite like P8lite 2017 , etc. ?

1. I am able to create a new "oemlogo.mbn" and a "flashable_logo.zip" through your tool but unfortunately the stock boot logo of Huawei still shows up in every reboot, after using the two files.

2. The zip file works in TWRP Recovery and was flashed without errors but the stock boot logo still shows upon reboot then after rebooting, I checked /product/etc/logo/ and the stock oemlogo.mbn was not replaced with the new one.

3. Here is the oeminfo.img backup, by using this command in a terminal emulator

Code:
su
dd if=/dev/block/platform/hi_mci.0/by-name/oeminfo of=/sdcard/oeminfo.img

and this one is the raw file itself. I only used two out of three methods of backing up the oeminfo partition based from this thread because I was unsure as to where in TWRP Recovery should I find the backup for oeminfo partition since it only has the options Boot, Cache, Data, System and Vendor for backup. Maybe in the "Vendor" partition, but the backup size is 394 MB.

4. I'm not sure for the variants of Huawei P8 Lite, maybe only Huawei P8 Lite (2017) and the ones on the "download section" in this link? If you meant the Huawei P8 Lite (2017) variants, the ones I know are Huawei P8 Lite (2017) PRA-LX1, PRA-LX2, PRA-LX3, PRA-LA1 and PRA-TL00. I'm using the Huawei P8 Lite (2017) PRA-LX2.

I've also tried copy pasting the new oemlogo.mbn then changed it to the correct permissions (-rw-r--r--). I even tried renaming it to "oemlogo.mbn.bak" to see if there's any change but it seems that this file is not in control of the boot logo. We also have the boot warning logo too by the way, the one that is caused by unlocking the bootloader.

Here is my own logo.bmp boot logo, 1080x1920 resolution, edited through Gimp 2 and exported as .bmp file format.

Edit: Does anyone know where is the exact location for our boot logo files? I've also found the same oemlogo.mbn file on some folders in /product/hw_oem

Last edited:
Reactions: GokulNC

GokulNC

Jan 10, 2015
Chennai
github.com
@CrimsonBloodfang

The oeminfo.img file had the pictures as I guessed.

I have updated the OP with the new tool. Please check if it's working :)

Also, I think the files in the '/product/hw_oem/whatever' directory are created from the oemlogo partition while booting (not sure though).
So maybe using the old tool, setting the permissions for oemlogo.bin as -r--r--r-- might have worked (since write access is denied).

Edit:
As specified in GSMArena website, is it true that P8 Lite (2017) is also called Huawei P9 Lite (2017), Huawei Honor 8 Lite, Huawei Nova Lite, Huawei GR3 (2017) ???
If yes, this tool MIGHT work for those devices too.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrimsonBloodfang

CrimsonBloodfang

Feb 23, 2016
Thanks! I will be testing it now.

@CrimsonBloodfang

Edit:
As specified in GSMArena website, is it true that P8 Lite (2017) is also called Huawei P9 Lite (2017), Huawei Honor 8 Lite, Huawei Nova Lite, Huawei GR3 (2017) ???
If yes, this tool MIGHT work for those devices too.

Yes, it is called with different names from different countries and they are more or less, just the same devices.
In the Philippines, this phone is called the Huawei GR3 (2017).

Edit:
Maybe the users need to backup their own "oeminfo.img" first before using the tool and can you add it on OP? They might use my device's oeminfo.img if they forgot to backup and it might change their device's region settings then their stock updates would be based from my country.

I haven't rebranded my phone, just went straight to LineageOS 14.1 so I'm not sure about the consequences of flashing other oeminfo.

Last edited:

Striike

Mar 15, 2015
still not working for me. Now it's just booting into eRecovery and the logo was changed to the original one

CrimsonBloodfang

Feb 23, 2016
@GokulNC

It also didn't work for me. I've tested it six or more times with both the Terminal Emulator and the TWRP Recovery flash method.

Edit:
The logo file in "pics" folder of the tool has a logo.png and not anymore a logo.bmp, so I tried both file formats just in case. I've tried replacing it with logo.bmp, I've tried replacing it with logo.png and I've tried placing both logo.bmp and logo.png together on the "pics" folder. Then flashed the six different files of oeminfo.img and flashable_logo.zip with Terminal Emulator and TWRP Recovery, but on every reboot, the boot logo is still at stock.

Last edited:

CrimsonBloodfang

Feb 23, 2016
The only locations left I can guess as to where the boot logo files for Huawei P8 Lite (2017) are maybe in the Boot partition or it's embedded in the Kernel.

GokulNC

Jan 10, 2015
Chennai
github.com
@CrimsonBloodfang

Actually there were many .bmp pics inside the oeminfo.img
I didn't look at that properly.

When I extracted them, I saw 2 bootlogo images.
So I've modified the tool to change them both.
Try the new tool that I've uploaded now and see if it's working :D
It should contain 2 files named logo1.png and logo2.png

The only locations left I can guess as to where the boot logo files for Huawei P8 Lite (2017) are maybe in the Boot partition or it's embedded in the Kernel.
Nope, I don't think so..

Is that working with all variants of the p8lite 2017? I rebranded mine to the Chinese Honor Version.

I'm not sure if the oeminfo partition is same across all the different firmwares.
I guess they all must be the same. If you can attach your stock 'oemlogo.img', I'll take a look at it.

Last edited:

GokulNC

Jan 10, 2015
Chennai
github.com
The logo file in "pics" folder of the tool has a logo.png and not anymore a logo.bmp, so I tried both file formats just in case. I've tried replacing it with logo.bmp, I've tried replacing it with logo.png and I've tried placing both logo.bmp and logo.png together on the "pics" folder.

My tool automatically converts everything to .bmp format, so it doesn't matter ;)

still not working for me. Now it's just booting into eRecovery and the logo was changed to the original one
I'm not sure about the rebranded device. Can you please attach your 'oeminfo' file?
I'll check that out.

CrimsonBloodfang

Feb 23, 2016
@CrimsonBloodfang

Actually there were many .bmp pics inside the oeminfo.img
I didn't look at that properly.

When I extracted them, I saw 2 bootlogo images.
So I've modified the tool to change them both.
Try the new tool that I've uploaded now and see if it's working :D
It should contain 2 files named logo1.png and logo2.png

Ok, I've flashed the flashable_logo.zip using the new tool and it seems to work. Boot logo is not anymore the stock one but instead, it's replaced by a "glitched image" with a color green background and two rectangles with colors pink and blue, not the boot logo I made. Boot warning sign is still there afterwards though.

It may be a wrong procedure on my part because I just placed my logo.bmp together with the logo1.png and logo2.png but I will continue tinkering and testing it or have a lower file sized image to see if I can finally get the desired boot logo.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Also flashed my backup oeminfo.img through Terminal Emulator or TWRP Recovery and everything went back to normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIcHiJK

CrimsonBloodfang

Feb 23, 2016
@GokulNC

Tested it many times, boot logo always end up with the "glitched image" as attached below.

This is not the original image. Just an edited image through Gimp 2, for reference.

Attachments

• GlitchedBootLogo.png
    GlitchedBootLogo.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

GokulNC

Jan 10, 2015
Chennai
github.com
@GokulNC

Tested it many times, boot logo always end up with the "glitched image" as attached below.

This is not the original image. Just an edited image through Gimp 2, for reference.

Does this arise after changing the logo2.png (or logo2.bmp)??

Is that the same output no matter what the logo2 is?
I mean, even for the default one that I've placed in pics folder or what you replaced with, is the output the same weird image??

FYI, ensure there are only 2 images in the pics folder while creating the oemlogo.img, ie, logo1.<whatever_format> and logo2.<whatever_format>

CrimsonBloodfang

Feb 23, 2016
Does this arise after changing the logo2.png (or logo2.bmp)??

Is that the same output no matter what the logo2 is?
I mean, even for the default one that I've placed in pics folder or what you replaced with, is the output the same weird image??

FYI, ensure there are only 2 images in the pics folder while creating the oemlogo.img, ie, logo1.<whatever_format> and logo2.<whatever_format>

Yes, I've already tried different ways like replacing only the logo2.png or replace both images and also ensured there are two images in the pics folder.

I also tried using only the "default images" and did not replace anything in the pics folder, then flashed the newly created files and the resulting boot logo is still the glitched image.

Edit:
The image in this post is what the glitched image of the boot logo, actually looks like.

Last edited:

honorfan

Apr 7, 2018
Note:
This is not bootanimation, this is the splash screen (the 'Lenovo' boot logo which is displayed when device is switched ON)
For other devices, please send me your splash.img so that I can create a tool for you too.

Requirements:
2. Optional:Terminal Emulator app or Custom Recovery or atleast working fastboot in computer

2. Make sure you have a picture in BMP format with resolution exactly1080x1920px. (Can be of any format)

3. Now rename your picture as logo.bmp & replace it inside "pics" folder of the extracted folder. (Or directly edit the 'logo.bmp' file)

4. Finally, run the 'CREATE_LOGO.bat' to create oeminfo.img and flashable zip file, which you can find inside the "output" folder after completion.

Choose any one easy method:

Transfer the flashable_logo.zip to your device and flash from TWRP or CWM or Philz or any other custom recovery.

Transfer the oeminfo.img to your device's Internal Storage, Open Terminal Emulator & enter the following to flash it:

Note:
Incase something goes wrong or device doesn't bootup, just flash the stock oemlogo.img from custom recovery or fastboot.

Credits:
1. @CrimsonBloodfang who provided the stock oemlogo.img of P8 Lite 2017 (PRA-LX2)..
2.@GokulNC (myself ;)) who wrote this script

Hit the Thanks:good: button if it worked for you :)

Thanks bro
Very useful guide

GokulNC

Jan 10, 2015
Chennai
github.com
Yes, I've already tried different ways like replacing only the logo2.png or replace both images and also ensured there are two images in the pics folder.

I also tried using only the "default images" and did not replace anything in the pics folder, then flashed the newly created files and the resulting boot logo is still the glitched image.

Edit:
The image in this post is what the glitched image of the boot logo, actually looks like.
Hi, sorry for my late reply. Got stuck up with something lately.
I have attached a new tool, with little changes.
Please check if it's working.

If it doesn't, I'm not sure what else to do.

Thanks bro
Very useful guide
Hi, did this work for you?

CrimsonBloodfang

Feb 23, 2016
Thanks, I will be testing it later. I've also found out from another user that changing the boot logo using the tool, has stopped working in Nougat and Oreo.

Here is what he said, and this thread is also changing their Huawei device using the oeminfo partition.
Maybe you already know these?

CrimsonBloodfang

Feb 23, 2016
@GokulNC

Tested it twice, it's still showing the glitched image.

My first attempt was replacing the logo2.png with another image as logo2.bmp. Flashed the files through TWRP Recovery, rebooted and the result is still the glitched image.

Second attempt was to not replace anything in the "pics" folder. Created the files, flashed them in TWRP Recovery, rebooted and the result is still the same.

Last edited:

CrimsonBloodfang

Feb 23, 2016
I've been searching around xda forums for information about editing Huawei's oeminfo for its boot logo image and I noticed that their tutorials needs to follow a "specific RGB format" when editing the images to be used as a boot logo. (Bitmap file with color depth not less than 16 bit, supported color schemes: RGB555, RGB565, RGB888, RGB8888)

Although, I'm uncertain that this might be the cause of the problems and I haven't tried it yet.
- Follow any of the RGB formats to fix the problem.
I've only tried "RGB565" and "RGB888 with color depth of 24 bits".

On the other hand, seeing the "glitched image" as a boot logo, might just only be an indication of a corrupted oeminfo, when it's not properly recompiled or reconstructed?
Just to be sure, I'll place the links of the threads and posts, that I think might be useful for reference.
You might have already read these threads before.

- How To Change The Splash Screen or Boot Logo In Huawei Honor 7 at post #2
- Scroll down to Part VII - How To Change The Splash Screen
- Solution by Kostyan_nsk
- [HOW TO] Replace initial splash screen (logo) on Huawei P7
- [GUIDE] Changing boot splash image on the Huawei Y6

I will try changing the RGB formats for the image that I'll be editing, to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note:
    This is not bootanimation, this is the splash screen (the 'Huawei' boot logo which is displayed when device is switched ON)

Requirements:
    2. Optional: Terminal Emulator app or Custom Recovery or atleast working fastboot in computer

Use this tool and instructions:
    Huawei OEM_logo Changer
    Note: Use a 1080x1920 pic, as .bmp file (in rgb565 format as specified in that post)

Old method:

2. Make sure you have a picture in BMP format with resolution exactly 1080x1920px. (Can be of any format)

Steps to backup your oeminfo.img:
    Open Terminal Emulator, type the following command to save your stock oeminfo.img to your Internal Storage:
    Code:
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/hi_mci.0/by-name/oeminfo of=/sdcard/oeminfo_stock.img

Now, choose any one easy method to install:

Code:
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/oeminfo.img of=/dev/block/platform/hi_mci.0/by-name/oeminfo

Code:
    fastboot flash oeminfo oeminfo.img

Note:

Credits:
    2. @GokulNC (myself ;)) who wrote this script

Hit the Thanks :good: button if it worked for you :)

@CrimsonBloodfang
    Cool, so the OEM_logo.exe works for most Huawei devices. Good to know :)
    So I guess that's a better universal Huawei tool to modify oeminfo.
    I'll better remove my tool in the OP and add a link to that thread ;)

To make the instructions clearer on this post, especially for newbies, the users should first place the three files (OEM_logo.exe, oeminfo and logo.bmp) on the same folder with ADB of course already installed beforehand and should also have the "platform-tools package" extracted on their computer to make ADB & fastboot work in any folder on windows.

Hold shift and press right-click on any space in the folder then select the Command Prompt or the PowerShell window for typing the commands.

Users can follow the command provided on the post to copy their oeminfo by using ADB but I just copied my oeminfo through Solid File Explorer app in "/dev/block/platform/hi_mci.0/by-name/oeminfo" directory, placed it on sdcard and then sent it to my computer through USB Debugging.

They must check first if the logo.bmp can be extracted from their oeminfo using the command
    Code:
    OEM_logo.exe oeminfo -e logo.bmp

If logo.bmp was successfully extracted, then it could also work on their oeminfo and a successful reverse could also be done by using the command
    Code:
    OEM_logo.exe oeminfo logo.bmp
    The logo.bmp to be inserted in the oeminfo this time must be the modified or customized logo.bmp, placed at the same folder.
    Delete any other logo.bmp or the extracted logo.bmp that's in the folder except the one you will use.
    Recheck and confirm that it's the customized logo.bmp in the folder and not the extracted one.

I used R8 G8 B8, 24 bits and .bmp formats when saving my customized logo.bmp image using Gimp 2.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

@GokulNC

I've asked for the source code of his tool as you might also be able to modify it to not only change the boot logo but also change the second splash screen, where the "unlocked bootloader" warning splash might be placed, based on the additional information by kearlsaint.

Since the tool was made in the year 2014 (it might have been updated in 2017), chances are the source code might not have been saved or has been deleted.
    I don't expect much if we'll be given a source code.
    I managed to successfully flash a custom Splashscreen on Treble Oreo 8.1 using your tools and over a day of researching and binary scraping.
    I found out that we also need to modify the /product partition to avoid having the /oeminfo splashscreen overwritten.

Note: I found these out on 8.1, it may be different on Nougat.

/oeminfo has 6 images at exactly 8Mb(8388608 bytes) apart
    Here are the offsets and their details:
    Code:
    /oeminfo total size: 67108864 (64 MB)
    OFFSET = 4915200 bytes
    Note: ADD 538 bytes = START OF BMP
    [B]4915200 (+538) - SPLASH SCREEN[/B]
    13303808(+538) - BATTERY RED
    21692416(+538) - BATTERY GREEN (ends at 30081024)
    [B]38469632(+538) - 2ND SPLASH SCREEN[/B]
    46858240(+538) - CHARGE RED
    55246848(+538) - CHARGE GREEN (ends at 63635456)

After replacing the 2 images, they will automatically get replaced after a restart.
    The replacement images are found on the /product partition.
    Note: Images here should be below 4147270 bytes.
    I scraped the binary and found the following offsets:
    Code:
    /product total size: 201326592 (192 MB)
    OFFSET --- UNKNOWN DATA
    1626474 (1978)
    5775722 (1978)
    9924970 (1978)
    14074218 (136103866)
    154325354 (16033722) (Huawei Logo)
    174506346 (112570)
    178766186 (112570)
    183026026 (419770)
    187593066 (116666)
    191857002 (5322320)

Example calculation: 1626474(offset) + 4147270(bmp) + 1978(unknown data) = 5775722(next offset)

Unknown datas could be critical system files.
    The needed file to replace could be in /product/logo/oemlogo.mbn, but replacing every image is better and I don't have linux.

Also, I managed to create the script needed to make the modified /oeminfo and /product images from your tools :D
    The script takes the backup oeminfo.img and product.img, slices them, and insert the new splashscreen images (I made this because I had a CN brand and your binaries relocked my bl + created a bootloop).

Hope these infos can help!

Btw, to flip the bootimage to proper orientation, add -vf vflip
    Code:
    bin\ffmpeg.exe -hide_banner -loglevel quiet -i %1 -pix_fmt rgb565 -vf vflip -s %resolution% -y "temp\image%2%.bmp" > NUL
    @CrimsonBloodfang I think the OEM_logo.exe would be a better method as my/Gokul's method inserts images through binary. I couldn't verify if our imei is located in oeminfo. I rebranded mine before noting what imei I had before (and I have no backup).

The first image is an Honor image in mine.
    The 2nd splash image is not the warning message. It's still a Huawei image. I haven't found the warning image anywhere, it could be just a text.

I just found out that the product images that I found in product.img were also the images found on "/product/etc/logo/oemlogo.mbn" and on some folders in "/product/hw_oem" :rolleyes:

I haven't tested this fully. I included the dd.exe but I don't know if it works as a standalone.
    I used dd to split the .img files into bytes, and continue with @GokulNC's method but fixed the image flipping problem.

Again, please backup your product ang oeminfo!
    I'm on Android 8.1 and this splits binaries through those offsets -- so different Android versions may mean different offsets.
    I've been searching around xda forums for information about editing Huawei's oeminfo for its boot logo image and I noticed that their tutorials needs to follow a "specific RGB format" when editing the images to be used as a boot logo. (Bitmap file with color depth not less than 16 bit, supported color schemes: RGB555, RGB565, RGB888, RGB8888)

Although, I'm uncertain that this might be the cause of the problems and I haven't tried it yet.
    - Follow any of the RGB formats to fix the problem.
    I've only tried "RGB565" and "RGB888 with color depth of 24 bits".

On the other hand, seeing the "glitched image" as a boot logo, might just only be an indication of a corrupted oeminfo, when it's not properly recompiled or reconstructed?
    Just to be sure, I'll place the links of the threads and posts, that I think might be useful for reference.
    You might have already read these threads before.

- How To Change The Splash Screen or Boot Logo In Huawei Honor 7 at post #2
    - Scroll down to Part VII - How To Change The Splash Screen
    - Solution by Kostyan_nsk
    - [HOW TO] Replace initial splash screen (logo) on Huawei P7
    - [GUIDE] Changing boot splash image on the Huawei Y6

I will try changing the RGB formats for the image that I'll be editing, to see if it makes a difference.