FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to root your Phab 2 (PB2-650Y)

825 posts
Thanks Meter: 544

By Synman, Recognized Developer on 23rd December 2016, 02:59 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is NOT a guide for n00bs. You will need a functional copy of ADB and FASTBOOT (as well as any required Lenovo ADB drivers if you are windows tragic) running on your PC with Debugging enabled prior to proceeding.

This is NOT my original work. All the real credit goes to some guys in Russia as best as I can tell. I merely google translated their work and cooked up my own method for rooting (which is a bit easier than what they recommend). You can find their source materials here: Russian Lenovo Website - Phab 2 Unlocking the bootloader thread.

Grab the latest version of SuperSU from Chainfire (https://download.chainfire.eu/696/supersu/)
Download the version of TWRP I found on the Lenovo Russia website here (it is attached to this post)

Copy SuperSU to your Phab 2's SD Card (it can go on either the internal or an external drive) (ADB push SuperSUxxx.img /sdcard/)

You need to unlock your bootloader if you have not already done so:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
Allow your Phab 2 to fully reboot and verify debugging is still enabled and the OEM unlocking option is enabled in Developer options.

Now that we've got a good clean operational unlocked bootloader let's apply our new recovery:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery TWRP-PB2-650_3.0.2.img
Hold down the power button on your Phab 2 until it powers off.

Press the center of the volume rocker (both vol+ and vol- need to be depressed) and at the same time hold down the power button until your Phab 2 posts. You'll know you did the procedure right because an ASCII arrow symbol will be scrolling through the device's 3 boot options (Recovery / Fastboot / Normal).

Release the power button and roll your finger holding the volume rocker to the volume up side of the rocker. Release the volume button.

Press Vol+ until Recovery is selected (it is the first option)

Press Vol- and wait 20 or so seconds for TWRP to load.

You now have to decide if you want to make TWRP your permanent recovery. If so, mount SYSTEM as RW and using TWRP's Advanced File Explorer navigate to /system and either delete or rename recovery-from-boot.p (I renamed mine to recovery-from-boot.p.save).

Go back to TWRP's main menu and select INSTALL. Navigate to the SuperSU image you copied to storage at the very beginning of this guide and flash it.

When you're done, reboot.

Don't panic when your Phab 2 bootloops once. It'll boot fine on its second pass. In another 20-30 seconds you will be greeted by a fully rooted Phab 2.

Enjoy! Screenshots are attached to the second post.
Attached Files
File Type: img TWRP-PB2-650_3.0.2.img - [Click for QR Code] (16.00 MB, 5280 views)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Synman For This Useful Post: [ View ]

23rd December 2016, 02:59 AM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Outside Philadelphia

Donate to Me
More
First boot into recovery (757):

Mount System RW (102):

File Manager 1 (010):

File Manager 2 (019):

Install SuperSU (243):

Celebrate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161222_205757.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	3977016   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161222_210102.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	458.8 KB
ID:	3977017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161222_210010.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	3977018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161222_210019.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	3977019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161222_210243.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	3977021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161215_151047.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	3977022  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Synman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd December 2016, 03:10 AM |#3  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
third post reserved for whatever
The Following User Says Thank You to Synman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd December 2016, 03:10 AM |#4  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
fourth post reserved for whatever
23rd December 2016, 03:10 AM |#5  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
fifth post reserved for whatever
24th December 2016, 08:42 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
is this working for phab2 pb2-650m?
24th December 2016, 04:52 PM |#7  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
I assume so. The original work was based on a 650M but I can only validate my additions on the 650Y since I don't have a 650M
24th December 2016, 06:18 PM |#8  
Flag Baguio City
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synman

This is NOT a guide for n00bs. You will need a functional copy of ADB and FASTBOOT (as well as any required Lenovo ADB drivers if you are windows tragic) running on your PC with Debugging enabled prior to proceeding.

This is NOT my original work. All the real credit goes to some guys in Russia as best as I can tell. I merely google translated their work and cooked up my own method for rooting (which is a bit easier than what they recommend). You can find their source materials here: Russian Lenovo Website - Phab 2 Unlocking the bootloader thread.

Grab the latest version of SuperSU from Chainfire (https://download.chainfire.eu/696/supersu/)
Download the version of TWRP I found on the Lenovo Russia website here (it is attached to this post)

Copy SuperSU to your Phab 2's SD Card (it can go on either the internal or an external drive) (ADB push SuperSUxxx.img /sdcard/)

Allow your Phab 2 to fully reboot and verify debugging is still enabled and the OEM unlocking option is enabled in Developer options.

Now that we've got a good clean operational unlocked bootloader let's apply our new recovery:

Press the center of the volume rocker (both vol+ and vol- need to be depressed) and at the same time hold down the power button until your Phab 2 posts. You'll know you did the procedure right because an ASCII arrow symbol will be scrolling through the device's 3 boot options (Recovery / Fastboot / Normal).

Release the power button and roll your finger holding the volume rocker to the volume up side of the rocker. Release the volume button.

You now have to decide if you want to make TWRP your permanent recovery. If so, mount SYSTEM as RW and using TWRP's Advanced File Explorer navigate to /system and either delete or rename recovery-from-boot.p (I renamed mine to recovery-from-boot.p.save).

Go back to TWRP's main menu and select INSTALL. Navigate to the SuperSU image you copied to storage at the very beginning of this guide and flash it.

Don't panic when your Phab 2 bootloops once. It'll boot fine on its second pass. In another 20-30 seconds you will be greeted by a fully rooted Phab 2.

You should make a video of the procedure. So you are saying after flashing the recovery, have to press power and volume up+down together until phab2 posts. What is posts? Do you mean reboots? And what do you mean by roll the finger?
25th December 2016, 07:29 AM |#9  
Flag Baguio City

More
Quote:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery TWRP-PB2-650_3.0.2.img

Hey thank you for the method. My device is PB2-650m Philippine version. Twrp recovery installed without issue , but after flashing supersu, would not boot. Stuck on second boot. I flashed UPDATE-unSU.zip to unroot and factory reset device. Flashed SuperSu-v2.79 and rooted without issue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20161225-151155.png
Views:	646
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	3979172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-12-25-15-54-54.png
Views:	626
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	3979186  
25th December 2016, 01:19 PM |#10  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Too bad you didn't make a video...
25th December 2016, 08:36 PM |#11  
Flag Baguio City

More
Quote:

Too bad you didn't make a video...

I did not have time. My phone got stuck on 2nd boot and was trying to figure out way to fix it. I fixed it by deleting supersu and factory resetting. I found different SuperSU version and worked. Thanks to you for providing me and the other phab2 owners with custom recovery.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20170129-033559.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	4020600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170129-033609.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	4020601  
The Following User Says Thank You to shinhosuck1973 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shinhosuck1973 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)