[Root] How to root Phoenix OS without replacing system.img

Search This thread

meanhacker

Aug 21, 2012
Hey guys, recently a member from Discord channel (ikkun) showed me steps on how to root Phoenix OS by just placing the su binary in the system folder. This method is so much easier and convenient than replacing the system.img, that it should be the main way to root your Phoenix OS installation.

Advantages:
  • No need to wait to download and extract a 500MB system.img. Instead, download a 5MB .zip file
  • No need to do a fresh install. You can root an existing installation without removing all your data.
  • Play store and Google Calendar sync work

Tested and works with:

Instructions:
  1. Download and extract the .zip file. For the purposes of the tutorial, I'm going to assume that you extract it in the Download folder and rename the SuperSU folder to su. Inside su, you should see META-INF, x64, x86, etc folders.
    2knK279l.jpg
  2. Open the terminal by pressing Alt+F1
  3. If you have Phoenix OS 32-bit, type in these commands:
    Code:
    cd /system/xbin
    mv su su.orig
    cp /sdcard/Download/su/x86/[B]su.pie[/B] su
    chmod 4751 su
    su --install
    su --daemon
  4. If you have Phoenix OS 64-bit, type in these commands:
    Code:
    cd /system/xbin
    mv su su.orig
    cp /sdcard/Download/su/x64/[B]su[/B] [B].[/B]
    chmod 4751 su
    su --install
    su --daemon
    This screenshot is for 64-bit:
    fkXPcdHl.jpg

Note 1:
    If after typing in the mv su su.orig command, you get an error saying:
    mv: rename su to su.orig: No such file or directory
    That means your Phoenix OS installation does not come with the su binary. Skip the mv command and proceed to the next step since there is nothing to make a backup of.
    I usually install my Phoenix OS using the .exe installer and always see the su file in that folder during the rooting process so I never see this error. It was never clear to me why people are missing the su binary, but my observations tell me it could be because people are installing it using the ISO file or using 32-bit. I never had the opportunity to test this out, but if you have this error, please post your Phoenix OS version, architecture, and installation method.

Note 2:
    Make sure you type in the commands exactly as provided. I saw other people were having trouble because they typed in the command incorrectly; they were missing a period after a space. It should be with a period and a space after the command (if you're rooting x64):
    Code:
    cp /sdcard/Download/su/x64/su [B].[/B]
    and not:
    Code:
    cp /sdcard/Download/su/x64/su
    The dot simply tells the cp command to place the file in the working directory (which was set earlier by the cd /system/xbin command). Alternatively, you can replace the dot with the current directory, the new command being:
    Code:
    cp /sdcard/Download/su/x64/su /system/xbin
    It's just easier to type a dot then type out the whole directory, especially considering the fact that you can't copy-paste in the terminal (as far as I know, could be wrong)

5. Close the console by pressing Alt+F7. (If you have trouble exiting the console, post below with your Phoenix OS version and architecture. Then, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7)
  6. Phoenix OS might crash and restart. Using the File Manager, go to the Download folder. Navigate to su>common> and install Superuser.apk
  7. Launch SuperSU app from the app drawer. Press Continue, then select Normal to update the binary normally. Exit out of the app after the update is successful.
  8. Launch Security app from the app drawer. Click AutoRun.
    gUlO71Gl.jpg
  9. Toggle SuperSU to enable it so that it can automatically run when other apps request Superuser access. Exit out of the app.
    5QLMjvAl.jpg

History:
  • Added notes for common errors people were having
  • Added another keystroke to exit console (Ctrl+Alt+F7)
  • Added screenshots. Removed unnecessary steps. Fixed grammar mistakes.

These instructions were posted in the Phoenix OS Discord Server by ikkun. Thanks to Chainfire for SuperSU.
Instructions ported from tutorial Installing SuperSU on Remix OS 2.0
Attached zip file in case their website is down.

Attachments

• UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.82-20170528234214.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 49,795
Last edited:

mic1000s

Oct 1, 2014
Nice
The method here is which I use to make a partition of demarage for another os, the method is simple and it erases nothing in the PC videos Show a complete installation has 2m30 you can see the procedure. On the second video we little to see how installing Android 7.1 Phoenixos 2.2 new version the whole in two-tier and triple boot.

Phoenixos 1.1
Partition at 2mn30
https://youtu.be/NUCsSkbooqw

https://youtu.be/LWYU3eIp-Zk

Phoenixos 2.2

https://youtu.be/fYpLOBjnYxM

https://youtu.be/W0kz9LUXdiA

Here is I hope to have taken forward l.

jbardi

Sep 27, 2007
This method still causing the Play Services sync problems with Gmail, etc. Any fix?

meanhacker

Aug 21, 2012
The method here is which I use to make a partition of demarage for another os, the method is simple and it erases nothing in the PC videos Show a complete installation has 2m30 you can see the procedure. On the second video we little to see how installing Android 7.1 Phoenixos 2.2 new version the whole in two-tier and triple boot.

Phoenixos 1.1
Partition at 2mn30
https://youtu.be/NUCsSkbooqw

https://youtu.be/LWYU3eIp-Zk

Phoenixos 2.2

https://youtu.be/fYpLOBjnYxM

https://youtu.be/W0kz9LUXdiA

Here is I hope to have taken forward l.
I'm sorry, it's kind of hard to understand what you're trying to say, but I'm assuming this is a guide on how to set up a triple-boot system.
This method still causing the Play Services sync problems with Gmail, etc. Any fix?
This method only roots the system, it's not supposed to fix the sync problems with Gmail. The problem exists even before you root, so we need to search around for a solution. I would recommend asking in the Discord channel and someone might shed you some light on this issue.

mic1000s

Oct 1, 2014
Nice
It is exactly it, forgiveness if my English is not very clear. It is a method to install a dual boot or a triple boot in this particular case on a tablet Teclast x98 or on a mini PC Pipo X7 that have the same characteristics it does not solve at all the problems of synchronization of Google moreover I have no problem of synchronization on Phoenix os 2.2

meanhacker

Aug 21, 2012
It is exactly it, forgiveness if my English is not very clear. It is a method to install a dual boot or a triple boot in this particular case on a tablet Teclast x98 or on a mini PC Pipo X7 that have the same characteristics it does not solve at all the problems of synchronization of Google moreover I have no problem of synchronization on Phoenix os 2.2
Oh okay, thank you for the guide, I hope others find it useful. The other reply was to another user, not to you. Phoenix OS has a Gmail sync issue. So if you try to install and sign into the Gmail app, you will not be able to synchronize your mail. You actually do have a synchronization issue, it's just that you haven't experienced it yet because you haven't tried using the Gmail app.

Seanie280672

Feb 27, 2012
Halesowen
I'm sorry, it's kind of hard to understand what you're trying to say, but I'm assuming this is a guide on how to set up a triple-boot system.

This method only roots the system, it's not supposed to fix the sync problems with Gmail. The problem exists even before you root, so we need to search around for a solution. I would recommend asking in the Discord channel and someone might shed you some light on this issue.

when I type the 2nd command, mv su su.orig it says no such file, what am i doing wrong ?

Im single OS booting and the files are as you laid out, but in the Download folder from within Phoenix OS

meanhacker

Aug 21, 2012
when I type the 2nd command, mv su su.orig it says no such file, what am i doing wrong ?

Im single OS booting and the files are as you laid out, but in the Download folder from within Phoenix OS
It sounds like you're not in the right folder. What Phoenix OS version do you have and what processor architecture? (32/64-bit) are you sure you're running the first command correctly (cd /system/xbin)? In the terminal, type in pwd and press enter. Post the output here. It should say /system/xbin. If not, use the command cd /system/xbin. If that doesn't work, type in ls -a and post the output here. Can you find su in that list of files? If so, all we're trying to do is make a backup of it before replacing it with the one we downloaded from Chainfire

Reactions: Seanie280672

Seanie280672

Feb 27, 2012
Halesowen
It sounds like you're not in the right folder. What Phoenix OS version do you have and what processor architecture? (32/64-bit) are you sure you're running the first command correctly (cd /system/xbin)? In the terminal, type in pwd and press enter. Post the output here. It should say /system/xbin. If not, use the command cd /system/xbin. If that doesn't work, type in ls -a and post the output here. Can you find su in that list of files? If so, all we're trying to do is make a backup of it before replacing it with the one we downloaded from Chainfire

Im running the latest version x86-64bit ver: 2.21.247

Ive manually had a look in the system xbin folder and can see all of the above mentioned files and commands etc, mv, su.orig etc etc thats why I dont understand why its not working, so ill try your other commands now and let you know.

EDIT: running it on a packard bell easynote TE, Intel celeron N2820 CPU, 4gb DDR3l with a samsung evo 120gb ssd

EDIT 2: when im in system/bin and type pwd it gives the result /system/xbin, posted a couple of pictures below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171004-184147.jpg
    Screenshot_20171004-184147.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 684
  • Screenshot_20171004-183344.jpg
    Screenshot_20171004-183344.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 671
  • IMAG0008.jpg
    IMAG0008.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 628
  • IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:

meanhacker

Aug 21, 2012
Im running the latest version x86-64bit ver: 2.21.247

Ive manually had a look in the system xbin folder and can see all of the above mentioned files and commands etc, mv, su.orig etc etc thats why I dont understand why its not working, so ill try your other commands now and let you know.

EDIT: running it on a packard bell easynote TE, Intel celeron N2820 CPU, 4gb DDR3l with a samsung evo 120gb ssd

EDIT 2: when im in system/bin and type pwd it gives the result /system/xbin, posted a couple of pictures below.
Great, thanks for the pictures. So it looks like you already made a backup of the su, which is now named su.orig. Proceed with the rest of the steps :)

Seanie280672

Feb 27, 2012
Halesowen
Great, thanks for the pictures. So it looks like you already made a backup of the su, which is now named su.orig. Proceed with the rest of the steps :)

Thanks for all of your help, all the commands went in ok this time, however a little problem, ALT+F7 isnt working to close down terminal, so I have to force restart, then once its back up and running, continuing with the instructions to install super SU says not root found.

meanhacker

Aug 21, 2012
Thanks for all of your help, all the commands went in ok this time, however a little problem, ALT+F7 isnt working to close down terminal, so I have to force restart, then once its back up and running, continuing with the instructions to install super SU says not root found.
I don't remember off the top of my head, but try Ctrl+Alt+F7. Also, try other numbers for the F (Function) keys. If superuser doesn't work for you, go into the Security app and enable SuperUser for AutoRun.

Reactions: Seanie280672

Seanie280672

Feb 27, 2012
Halesowen
I don't remember off the top of my head, but try Ctrl+Alt+F7. Also, try other numbers for the F (Function) keys. If superuser doesn't work for you, go into the Security app and enable SuperUser for AutoRun.

Thank youu very much, strangest thing happened, just reinstalled the whole OS and all the commands went in this time perfectly fine, the keys to get out of Terminal are indeed Ctrl+Alt+F7.

Managed to have a bit of a play and sort of get the latest version of showbox running, also installed it through Kodi where it appears to be working perfectly fine, going to stick with this OS for a while now, does everything that I need it for, without the crap sluggishness of Windows, looking out for any future updates.

meanhacker

Aug 21, 2012
Thank youu very much, strangest thing happened, just reinstalled the whole OS and all the commands went in this time perfectly fine, the keys to get out of Terminal are indeed Ctrl+Alt+F7.

Managed to have a bit of a play and sort of get the latest version of showbox running, also installed it through Kodi where it appears to be working perfectly fine, going to stick with this OS for a while now, does everything that I need it for, without the crap sluggishness of Windows, looking out for any future updates.
I'm glad you got it to work! I will update the OP with the new information. What made it work? Was it the fact that you could now escape the terminal or letting Superuser in AutoRun?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, recently a member from Discord channel (ikkun) showed me steps on how to root Phoenix OS by just placing the su binary in the system folder. This method is so much easier and convenient than replacing the system.img, that it should be the main way to root your Phoenix OS installation.

Advantages:
    • No need to wait to download and extract a 500MB system.img. Instead, download a 5MB .zip file
    • No need to do a fresh install. You can root an existing installation without removing all your data.
    • Play store and Google Calendar sync work

Tested and works with:

Instructions:
    1. Download and extract the .zip file. For the purposes of the tutorial, I'm going to assume that you extract it in the Download folder and rename the SuperSU folder to su. Inside su, you should see META-INF, x64, x86, etc folders.
      2knK279l.jpg
    2. Open the terminal by pressing Alt+F1
    3. If you have Phoenix OS 32-bit, type in these commands:
      Code:
      cd /system/xbin
      mv su su.orig
      cp /sdcard/Download/su/x86/[B]su.pie[/B] su
      chmod 4751 su
      su --install
      su --daemon
    4. If you have Phoenix OS 64-bit, type in these commands:
      Code:
      cd /system/xbin
      mv su su.orig
      cp /sdcard/Download/su/x64/[B]su[/B] [B].[/B]
      chmod 4751 su
      su --install
      su --daemon
      This screenshot is for 64-bit:
      fkXPcdHl.jpg

Note 1:
      If after typing in the mv su su.orig command, you get an error saying:
      mv: rename su to su.orig: No such file or directory
      That means your Phoenix OS installation does not come with the su binary. Skip the mv command and proceed to the next step since there is nothing to make a backup of.
      I usually install my Phoenix OS using the .exe installer and always see the su file in that folder during the rooting process so I never see this error. It was never clear to me why people are missing the su binary, but my observations tell me it could be because people are installing it using the ISO file or using 32-bit. I never had the opportunity to test this out, but if you have this error, please post your Phoenix OS version, architecture, and installation method.

Note 2:
      Make sure you type in the commands exactly as provided. I saw other people were having trouble because they typed in the command incorrectly; they were missing a period after a space. It should be with a period and a space after the command (if you're rooting x64):
      Code:
      cp /sdcard/Download/su/x64/su [B].[/B]
      and not:
      Code:
      cp /sdcard/Download/su/x64/su
      The dot simply tells the cp command to place the file in the working directory (which was set earlier by the cd /system/xbin command). Alternatively, you can replace the dot with the current directory, the new command being:
      Code:
      cp /sdcard/Download/su/x64/su /system/xbin
      It's just easier to type a dot then type out the whole directory, especially considering the fact that you can't copy-paste in the terminal (as far as I know, could be wrong)

5. Close the console by pressing Alt+F7. (If you have trouble exiting the console, post below with your Phoenix OS version and architecture. Then, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7)
    6. Phoenix OS might crash and restart. Using the File Manager, go to the Download folder. Navigate to su>common> and install Superuser.apk
    7. Launch SuperSU app from the app drawer. Press Continue, then select Normal to update the binary normally. Exit out of the app after the update is successful.
    8. Launch Security app from the app drawer. Click AutoRun.
      gUlO71Gl.jpg
    9. Toggle SuperSU to enable it so that it can automatically run when other apps request Superuser access. Exit out of the app.
      5QLMjvAl.jpg

History:
    • Added notes for common errors people were having
    • Added another keystroke to exit console (Ctrl+Alt+F7)
    • Added screenshots. Removed unnecessary steps. Fixed grammar mistakes.

These instructions were posted in the Phoenix OS Discord Server by ikkun. Thanks to Chainfire for SuperSU.
    Instructions ported from tutorial Installing SuperSU on Remix OS 2.0
    Attached zip file in case their website is down.

Verified that this method does work on Phoenix 2.5 64 bit. Play store and play services are fully functional and operating normally. My machine is a Dell Inspiron 15-5568 2-in-1 with skylake i3. Great work by @meanhacker and ikkun over on discord.

confirmed it WORK on
    Asus eeePC B202
    Intel Atom N270 - 2GB RAM
    Phoenix OS 2.2.1 32bit
    with modify su.pie folder location in to "/storage/emulated/0/Download/su/x86/"