[ROM] CyanogenMod 13.0 for Photon Q (Android 6.x) [UNOFFICIAL]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is for CyanogenMod 13.0, Android version 6.0.1, unofficial builds whose primary purpose is meant as preview.

Credits: All credits go to kabaldan, stargo and CyanogenMod contributors.

Disclaimer
    Code:
    Use at your own risk, responsibility is all yours, provided as-is, no warranties...
    You know the drill.

What has changed/is new can be viewed at cyanogenmod gerrit: http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/q/status:merged
    Latest change for the January 30, 2016. build is at http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/130563/
    Latest change for the February 13, 2016. build is at http://review.cyanogenmod.org/132753
    Latest change for the March 21, 2016. build is at http://review.cyanogenmod.org/127971

• SELinux is disabled (if you care about security you'd might wan't to wait for an official build)
      • SELinux enabled in March 21. build
    • ART preopotimization is enabled: speeds up first boot after wiping dalvik cache: only some of framework, GApps (if present) and user installed apps need to be compiled. It also saves some space in /data as system apps odex/art/oat files are stored in /system partition instead of /data/dalvik-cache. This is the reason for the large size of the update package.
    • disabled GPU page faults logging in kernel as it only (unnecessarily) spams the logs
    • Included the new Snap camera app (the old AOSP Camera2 is still kept as a fallback): Both are called "Camera" but you'll be able to easily differentiate between them by the icon.
    • Keyboard backlight behaviour has been updated to resemble stock-like behaviour. Details can be read in the commit message of the change (Patchset 1, not PS2, or here). Feel free to test and share what you think.
      • Reverted to old keboard backlight behaviour in March 21 build
    All relevant changes (i.e. differences from default/stock CM13) can be viewed at my github repo

Installation (first time install):
    1) Download the build
    2) Boot into recovery (power button + voulme up)
    3) Make a full nandroid backup
    4) Flash update package (install zip ...)
    5) Wipe data/cache (factory reset)
    6) Reboot to system

Update (if you're updating existing cm-13.0 or upgrading from cm-12.1)
    1) Download newer update zip file and install it from recovery.
    2) Wipe dalvik-cache
    3) Reboot to system

It might be useful to enable aplogd logging, especially if you come across some issues.
    You can enable aplogd in terminal or adb shell
    Code:
    su
    setprop persist.log.aplogd.enable 1
    Logs are saved in /data/aplogd/

In case of a full system reboot include /proc/last_kmsg as well.

NOTE !!! :
    Please do make a full nandroid backup! In case anything goes wrong or you simply wan't to go back, you should be able to recover/restore in a jiffy. If, by chance, you have issues restoring system when twrp claims it failed to mount system, a relatively simple workaround is to flash whichever CM update, flash GApps you used previously and then restore only data, wipe dalvik, reboot... hope for the best...

Downloads

March 21, 2016.
    Some of changes:
    Code:
    Enabled SELinux enforcing
    Reverted to old-style keyboard backlight behaviour: it won't be brighter than screen but it also won't completely turn off kbd backlight on very bright conditions (I shoud really put some effort into it...)
    Using Flo's PowerHAL
    Updated interactive governor in kernel
    Enabled Motorola memutils in kernel (should improve memory operations)
    Quite a bit of other updates/changes/fixes
    All details can seen at CM gerrit and my github repo (not very practical but...)
    MD5: 96ce2fc03b43c0123fcdc559fb531761
    File size: 348,852,931 bytes
    Download

February 13, 2016.
    MD5: 19d3cb88cdc9a1cf1857b3e263298b19
    File size: 348,081,995 bytes
    Download

January 30, 2016.
    MD5: 454c62323c5e8f93f96ec6a9de580a2f (or use the attached to post md5sum file)
    File size: 343,989,482 bytes
    Download
    I can't resist asking what I feel is the natural followup question - Will there be an official release [soon/ever]?

I so want to upgrade but with only one Photon Q as my daily driver I'm concerned about leaving the official update path.

Regardless, props to you for proving it can be done. :good:

Before I trigger the official cm-13.0 builds for xt897, the following requirements have to be met:
    - CVE kernel patches needs to be merged /* done today, finally */
    - SELinux policy issues needs to be resolved (so we can run enforcing) /* in progress */
    - an appropriate PowerHAL implementation needs to be used /* looking into it; the flo PowerHAL, used also by d2 looks promising */

Yes, I'm very slow/busy/lazy, sorry for that, but moving forward nevertheless :) .
    cm-13.0-20160213-UNOFFICIAL-xt897

Uploaded new build (check first post) or directly download
    MD5: 19d3cb88cdc9a1cf1857b3e263298b19
    File size: 348,081,995 bytes

Some of (more important) changes:
    - CVE patched kernel as kabaldan mentioned
    - Kernel updates to f2fs filesystem
    - Using simpler dialog during initial dexopt (first boot after wiping dalvik cache). More details here. (haven't measured but seems to improve dexopt times slightly)
    - Enabled call recording (actual support depends if call recording is legal in your country)
    - etc. (quite a bit changed/updated/fixed/improved in the past two weeks...)

Latest sync point on cyanogenmod gerrit is http://review.cyanogenmod.org/132753
    Other/all differences from official cyanogenmod can be seen here.
    Any news about porting cm14 for Photon Q?

No time for Android when you're building a castle. But don't worry, only the roof, the ballroom, the cowshed and a few animals are left to do.

Anyway, cm14.0 was going rather well the last time I messed with it, before I switched back to cm13.0 on my daily driver Q (to polish a few things that will be required by 14 anyway and can be done under 13 already). I'll get back to the work on cm 14.1 hopefully soon.
    cm-13.0-20160321-UNOFFICIAL-xt897.zip

Uploaded new build.
    All credits and thanks go to kabaldan, stargo and other CM contributors.

NOTE:
    Build from March 20 has been invalidated in favor of March 21 as the previous update (March 20) introduced a bug in interactive governor where CPU frequency would be stuck at minimum (384 MHz) if io_is_busy set to 0.
    io_is_busy: sysfs flag that determines if waiting for IO should increase CPU utilization/bump up CPU frequency (performance vs. power). Glimpsed through it, seems to be used only by performace profiles (configurable under Battery settings). Not sure if these are toggled unless instructed/enabled by a setting (under Battery).
    Not fully functional yet, can't set Power save profile.
    Other partially fail with "E/PowerHAL( 762): Error opening /sys/kernel/cpufreq_limit/limited_[min/max]_freq: Permission denied" (Probably just needs to set group to system)

March 21, 2016.

Latest sync point: http://review.cyanogenmod.org/127971

Some of changes:
    Code:
    Enabled SELinux enforcing
    Reverted to old-style keyboard backlight behaviour: it won't be brighter  than screen but it also won't completely turn off kbd backlight on very  bright conditions (I shoud really put some effort into it...)
    Using Flo's PowerHAL
    Updated interactive governor in kernel
    Enabled Motorola memutils in kernel (should improve memory operations)
    Quite a bit of other updates/changes/fixes
    All details can seen at CM gerrit and my github repo (not very practical but...)
    MD5: 96ce2fc03b43c0123fcdc559fb531761 (check first post for md5sum file in the attachements)
    File size: 348,852,931 bytes
    Check first post or download here