FORUMS

SailfishOS 2.0 on Motorola Photon Q

65 posts
Thanks Meter: 38

By vevgeniev, Member on 29th December 2015, 10:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,
I ported Jolla's Sailfish OS for Motorola Photon Q. Though it's developed for and tested on Photon Q only, it should work on other Motorola devices as well (it's based on CyanogenMod's moto_msm8960_jbbl sources):
List of supported devices:
  • Atrix HD (mb886)
  • Photon Q 4G LTE (xt897)
  • Droid RAZR M (xt907)
  • RAZR HD (xt925)
  • CDMA RAZR HD (xt926)
The port is a work in progress, but I will greatly appreciated it if someone is willing to try it out.
For current status of hardware support please refer to https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris and look for the Motorola Photon Q row.
For more information and the image please visit:
http://www.vladislavonline.com/sailfishos-for-photon-q/
Update (13.09.2016): Update 2.0.2.48 (Aurajoki) released.
Update (11.05.2016): Update 2.0.1.11 (Taalojärvi) released. It's an initial release and doesn't support OTA and has the same issues as the previous release.
Update (28.03.2016):
  • CDMA: phone calls work, no data and SMS (according to @bmccrary);
  • GSM: phone calls, data and SMS work (verified by @santamanga);
  • LEDs patch: download the attached LEDs_patch.tar.gz and extract it in the root folder as root (tar xzvf LEDs_patch.tar.gz).
Main screen
Troubleshooting
If you have issues with the port, please try to obtain logs, if possible:
  1. Connect the phone with a USB cable.
  2. Telnet to the phone:
    Code:
    telnet 192.168.2.15 2323
  3. Once connected, change the password for user nemo:
    Code:
    passwd nemo
  4. Save the logs:
    Code:
    dmesg > /tmp/dmesg.txt
    journalctl -b > /tmp/jnlctl.txt
    /usr/libexec/droid-hybris/system/bin/logcat -d > /tmp/logcat.txt
    tar czvf /home/nemo/Documents/logs.tar.gz /tmp/dmesg.txt /tmp/jnlctl.txt /tmp/logcat.txt
  5. Use scp (or winscp) on your computer to copy the log:
    Code:
    scp [email protected]:/home/nemo/Documents/logs.tar.gz .
If you cannot connect using telnet, please boot into recovery and:
Code:
adb pull /proc/last_kmsg
OpenRepos
OpenRepos is a community driven personal repository system for Harmattan and Sailfish operating systems. It has useful applications. The easiest way to use OpenRepos is through the SailfishOS client, called Warehouse. To install it, please:
  1. Download the latest rpm from https://openrepos.net/content/basil/...use-sailfishos
  2. Install the rpm as root:
    Code:
    rpm -i harbour-warehouse-X.X-XX.armv7hl.rpm
Attached Files
File Type: gz LEDs_patch.tar.gz - [Click for QR Code] (444 Bytes, 80 views)
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to vevgeniev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vevgeniev Ad-Free
31st December 2015, 04:54 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
i will definately get around to checking this out on my xt897 after a update or two
The Following User Says Thank You to TacticalPower88 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TacticalPower88 Ad-Free
31st December 2015, 10:09 AM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Pernik

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPower88

i will definately get around to checking this out on my xt897 after a update or two

Great
Currently it has an issue with the orientation (it does not change) and LEDs. The LEDs work fine after restart of the mce service.
I'll do the SIM card mod on my phone next week so that I can test telephony.
31st December 2015, 06:00 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Wow, another OS for our Qs! I got it to install and work on my xt897. I have CDMA service with Sprint, so will try to test phone/data service soon. Switching it over it a very time consuming process so it may be a few days before I get around to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to bmccrary For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bmccrary Ad-Free
1st January 2016, 04:25 PM |#5  
Flag Binjai,North Sumatra
Thanks Meter: 314

More
Glad to see our Photon Q still got some love. Good job on the port. I'll try it soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to huatz84 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift huatz84 Ad-Free
1st January 2016, 07:05 PM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Pernik

More
Please let me know if you have issues or suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to vevgeniev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vevgeniev Ad-Free
1st January 2016, 08:42 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Wow! Great work!
I bought the Photon Q when the first Sailfish OS HADK Guide was released with the intention to do the port. Unfortunately I got stuck, because the display just stayed black even though the system was working fine (usb debugging, wifi, keyboard, gps, etc. worked). Did you hit that problem as well? Could you outline how you solved it?

Also I am getting "Problems during device IMEI registration. Device IMEI was not saved." when trying to add a jolla account in the settings app. Any idea?
The Following User Says Thank You to Flyser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Flyser Ad-Free
4th January 2016, 10:29 AM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Pernik

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyser

Wow! Great work!
I bought the Photon Q when the first Sailfish OS HADK Guide was released with the intention to do the port. Unfortunately I got stuck, because the display just stayed black even though the system was working fine (usb debugging, wifi, keyboard, gps, etc. worked). Did you hit that problem as well? Could you outline how you solved it?

Also I am getting "Problems during device IMEI registration. Device IMEI was not saved." when trying to add a jolla account in the settings app. Any idea?

Thank you
Initially it had to be build with QCOM_BSP set, now this is handled automatically.
In order to get access to the store, you should contact Jolla on IRC #sailfishos-porters channel on Freenode.
You need to:
Quote:

• Do `ssu s`, Device UID should show a unique ID (IMEI for devices with modem, note - your GSM modem should provide a valid IMEI even without SIM! For devices without modem -- WLAN or BT MAC address).
  • Find another port/phone and prove that unique ID there is different than yours, and that all of them persist across reboots.

Now, that there are two of us running SailfishOS on Photon Q, we can get access to the store, because we can prove that IDs are unique
5th January 2016, 02:30 PM |#9  
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 23

More
This Sailfish OS - how would you describe it compared to stock, and other variants?

Sent from my XT897 using XDA Free mobile app
5th January 2016, 05:53 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Pernik

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmandroid

This Sailfish OS - how would you describe it compared to stock, and other variants?

Sent from my XT897 using XDA Free mobile app

It's hard to tell yet, because I haven't really started using it. I need to do the SIM mod first and I also need access to the Jolla store. Currently I have just a few apps installed.
One thing that impressed me though is the gesture based UI of Sailfish OS. It's so intuitive that I got used to it very quickly and now I am trying to use gestures on my primary Android phone
A review of Sailfish OS 2.0:
http://www.sitepoint.com/a-first-loo...ilfish-os-2-0/
6th January 2016, 05:37 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
To test phone/data I installed on my main Photon Q, but get the message "The settings are not available without SIM card" when I go to Cellular Network from the Settings screen. I don't have a SIM card mod, and use CDMA/Sprint. If there's anything I could do that would help please let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to bmccrary For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bmccrary Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)