Search This thread

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
Hi, is it this one?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3046263

[ROM] CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL_f2fs-20150520-moto_msm8960
I'm looking for a stable ROM to put on my wife's phone..

Did you read the previous posts? Or did you ask a question that has the answer staring you in the face by mine and enigma9o7's reference to the only f2fs ROM for the msm8960_jbbl devices with a thread in this device's section of xda?

Sent from my ATRIX HD using XDA Free mobile app

Loader009

Jul 6, 2012
I have noticed that /dev/block/dm-0 (also known as "userdata"/"data" partition) have no max-mount-counts and also no interval-between-checks set to the filesystem.

Is this a wanted behaviour?

edit: What I want to say is that the filesystem is never checked by fsck because the options are set to "never".

Last edited:

ajislav

Apr 1, 2011
Did you read the previous posts? Or did you ask a question that has the answer staring you in the face by mine and enigma9o7's reference to the only f2fs ROM for the msm8960_jbbl devices with a thread in this device's section of xda?

Sent from my ATRIX HD using XDA Free mobile app

Thanks for the encouraging answer. To be honest, I was using the free xda-developers app on my phone. I am not aware of a simple way how to jump to a device's section from within a specific forum, so what I did instead was opening Google search and searched for something like "photon q f2fs site:xdaforums.com", which gave me the link I posted.
Now that I am at my computer, I do not see a ROM with CM11 and f2fs in its title in the Android development nor in the Original Android development threads of Photon Q.
Maybe it is due to the fact that I do not own the device yet and hence I am only vaguely familiar with the unified (and de-unified) builds and which devices they are compatible with. I am actually doing a quick research into what should replace my wife's Motorola Milestone. As CM12.1 is still under active development, I was looking for a CM11 ROM (i.e. this thread). There I saw a suggestion for a f2fs ROM, hence I asked.
To sum this up, I gather that the link I posted is not the correct ROM. Unfortunately even with your suggestion, the answer is still not staring at my face. Hence I would appreciate the correct link or maybe some more clues, so I can find it myself.

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Thanks for the encouraging answer. To be honest, I was using the free xda-developers app on my phone. I am not aware of a simple way how to jump to a device's section from within a specific forum, so what I did instead was opening Google search and searched for something like "photon q f2fs site:xdaforums.com", which gave me the link I posted.
Now that I am at my computer, I do not see a ROM with CM11 and f2fs in its title in the Android development nor in the Original Android development threads of Photon Q.
Maybe it is due to the fact that I do not own the device yet and hence I am only vaguely familiar with the unified (and de-unified) builds and which devices they are compatible with. I am actually doing a quick research into what should replace my wife's Motorola Milestone. As CM12.1 is still under active development, I was looking for a CM11 ROM (i.e. this thread). There I saw a suggestion for a f2fs ROM, hence I asked.
To sum this up, I gather that the link I posted is not the correct ROM. Unfortunately even with your suggestion, the answer is still not staring at my face. Hence I would appreciate the correct link or maybe some more clues, so I can find it myself.

I'll save you some time.

The ROM thread you found is indeed the one - the OP originally built it as CM11, but then changed it to Carbon. If you read the latest posts of that thread, he does mention that he may do another CM11 build.

However, if you want official CM11 this is the thread you want - f2fs wasn't officially introduced to the Photon Q until CM12, hence why if you really want f2fs you have to go with an unofficial build (which has the f2fs functionality backported).

enigma9o7

Jun 26, 2014
San Jose
F(x)tec Pro1-X
There's now another official build for our phones, and they're calling it a final snapshot. Although I do see some other devices continue to have cm11 nightlies. But anyways happy to see this exists!

cm-11-20150626-SNAPSHOT-XNG3CAO1L8-moto_msm8960_jbbl.zip http://get.cm/get/qi5

I personally can't easily upgrade cuz I'm using an unofficial f2fs version, but I'm glad it's available.

Logos Ascetic

Nov 12, 2010
Moto X4
New to CyanogenMod and just did a clean install of the the final official 11.0 snapshot

cm-11-20150626-SNAPSHOT-XNG3CAO1L8-moto_msm8960_jbbl.zip

But I have no mobile data now, is there some setting or fix that that I'm missing in the install process? All other custom roms Ive flashed on other devices in the past, connected back to the mobile network after reboot. Can anyone help me figure out how to get my mobile data working again?

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
New to CyanogenMod and just did a clean install of the the final official 11.0 snapshot

cm-11-20150626-SNAPSHOT-XNG3CAO1L8-moto_msm8960_jbbl.zip

But I have no mobile data now, is there some setting or fix that that I'm missing in the install process? All other custom roms Ive flashed on other devices in the past, connected back to the mobile network after reboot. Can anyone help me figure out how to get my mobile data working again?

Who is your provider? Any reason you didn't go for something more current, say CM13?

Logos Ascetic

Nov 12, 2010
Moto X4
Who is your provider? Any reason you didn't go for something more current, say CM13?
Provider: Freedompop ( Sprint reseller )
First, I try not to run the most current Android release, because they usually are optimized for newer devices with faster processors, and more RAM. The Photon Q XT897. asanti_c was scheduled to receive a official KitKat update from Motorola, but Motorola stopped development. So Motorola publically admitted the device can officially run KitKat without any problems, even if it never got that release.

Second, Ive read lots of people complaining about poor performance with Cyanogenmod 12 and beyond. I don't care about tinkering forever with the latest Bleeding edge Cyanogenmod release in order to say I'm running the android flavor of the week. Even though I'm late to try cyanogenmod on my device, most of the people Ive found running Cyanogenmod 11.0 and below have reported that they feel anything newer slows down their daily usage.

I always look for ROMs which are speedy, have few dependencies/included apps, and minimal install size. I'm happy to check out any release you think meets those things. But, I don't care about having the bleeding edge features. As for my mobile data issue, I found alot of people lost mobile data when using Cyanogenmod 11.0 + Freedompop. In the end this thread FIXED - Freedompop (Sprint), 4G/LTE and custom ROM helped me get mobile data back.Although I'm happy to listen to anyone elses solutions, or better fixes.

ROM: cm-11-20150626-SNAPSHOT-XNG3CAO1L8-moto_msm8960_jbbl.zip
Here are the APN fix versions Ive tested so far:
Merudo(more.settings)Freedompop_APNs_fix.zip
Shdware.Freedompop_APNs_fix.2.8.16.zip (Recommended)

My Speedtest.net Benchmark:
97 ms ping
6.20 Mbps Download

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-22-22-41-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-08-22-22-41-29.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 63
  • Merudo(more.settings)Freedompop_APNs_fix.zip
    175.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Shdware.Freedompop_APNs_fix.2.8.16.zip
    175.8 KB · Views: 6

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=moto_msm8960_jbbl

After the sweet time while Photon Q (xt897) has been a happy part of the unified moto_msm8960 builds, with the KitKat update released (so far) for Verizon Droid Razr HD (xt926) and Droid Razr M (xt907) by Motorola, things have changed.
    The changes made by Moto in the KK update are very deep and break a lots of things for non KitKat updated devices.

Since the 1st July 2014 nightly build (besides the M8 release, the last JB based, xt897 compatible build), only KK updated devices have been supported by new CM moto_msm8960 builds.

A KitKat update for xt897 has been confirmed to be cancelled by Motorola.

As the new 3.4 kernel turned out to be not so easy to be made flawlessly working with the JB based baseband firmware as initially expected, I've decided (with the punch and help by @stargo ) to uphold an alternative moto_msm8990_jbbl builds, so that CM could support also the moto_msm8960 devices not updated to KK firmware so far (or ever), again. The jbbl builds are still based on the old 3.0 kernel.

So, after a one month pause, xt897 is again officially supported by CM (together with xt925, xt905, xt902 and mbm886), via new moto_msm8960_jbbl builds.

moto_msm8960_jbbl device specific source repos:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_motorola_moto_msm8960_jbbl
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_motorola_qcom-common
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_motorola_msm8960-common/tree/cm-11.0
    Any news on 3.4 kernel? In know not to ask for ETA. But I am curious wether 3.4 development is ongoing or has stopped.

And as to why? Lapdock ;)

I still may have a few ideas of what to check and try, but I'm not actively working on 3.4 kernel on Q at the moment due to a serious lack of free time. But I'd really like to get back to it, hopefully soon (whatever that means ;) ).

I think we've pretty much reached the end of the line in regards to this phone, which is sad. Reality is that nadlabak probably has a job and a family - and it was going to be a Herculean effort for him to get it going by himself anyway.

The blame for this lies with Motorola who, for some reason, decided that this was the only 8960 device to NOT get an official KitKat update. If Moto would have continued support, then we could have stayed unified with the rest of the 8960 tree, we would have had the 3.4 kernel, and probably could have even advanced to Lollipop. Even though the device is long-in-the-tooth, it's still *very* capable - making the situation even more sad.

CM12 build for xt897 (based on 3.0 kernel) is currently being actively prepared (together with mb886, xt925_jbbl and maybe other jbbl devices).
    As mentioned, Atrix HD (mb886) hasn't received the promised official KK update yet, as well as Australian Razr HD (xt925) and Australian Razr M (xt905) - Telstra postponed the planned December KK release because of some issues found and is currently waiting for a new submission from Motorola for new testing at Telstra.
    So there's still a lot of jbbl devices out there that demand CM12, not only Photon Q.

CM12 jbbl builds are almost ready. The main remaining issue (caused by difficulties with the old 3.0 kernel) is to get the hw video encoder and decoder properly working. Once it's fixed, official CM12 nightlies for jbbl devices will start rolling.

Regarding the reasons for cancellation of KK update for Photon Q, my own feeling tells me that it was actually caused by Sprint decline to participate on the release. For Sprint, Photon Q was a failure, and I guess they didn't want to invest any more resources to its future support.

Doug Kaufman, manager of handset strategy for Sprint:
    "So we had all that data, and we said 'Look, there's still the demand for QWERTY.' And then we went out and built the LG Mach and the Photon Q."

"It was a big party and nobody came."
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/15/5104704/i-come-not-to-praise-qwerty-but-to-bury-it
    Thanks, that made me smile. Especially the weatherman bit, can't quite see that connection. At least if you said something like blaming the guy who changed your brakes for an engine failure or something would make more sense, but quite not as funny :)

Honestly tho, is it that hard (for the person who knows what they're doing already) to put out a newer version? I mean they used to do it every day, it must be fairly automated.

I like the idea of rolling back g+ tho, I'll try that now. And yeah, apparently my battery problem is google play services, it's used 37% in the last few hours since this morning when I took the phone off the charger, along with android OS taking 25%. Screen is down at 3% cuz I hadn't even looked at my phone today until this very moment, and that's usually the thing that's highest any other time I'd looked at it with previous versions.

But I still think it's easier to blame CM since that's what I changed that started this, and I did try to read the changelog to see if this particular issue was mentioned and fixed in later version, but didn't find anything, would be easier (for me, obviously) to just try something newer before I spend time trying to figure something out that may already be solved.

The wakelocks related to the updated (via play store) google apps and services should be fixed for CM11 by:
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/91881
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/91882

Unfortunately, I don't have the power to trigger a new official moto_msm8960_jbbl CM11 build on Jenkins.
    I hope to find the time to provide an updated unofficial CM11 build, but I'm rather saturated by the real life at the moment, so it will take at least a few days before I get to it.
    My notification light always lights up in white, regardless of the color I set in the settings. -.-
    Is that a known bug?

The Photon Q (and also other moto_msm8960 devices) RGB LEDs behave in a binary way - they can be only on or off.
    You can't change their brightness and mix various amounts of different colours to get the full colour palette.
    So you can have only 7 different colours of notification LED (2^3 = 8 which includes all three LEDs off - black).
    ff0000 is the same as 010000 - red LED on.

You have to make sure that at least one of the RGB values is zero, otherwise it means all three (R & G & B) LEDs are on = white light.

Code:
    ff0000 - red
    00ff00 - green
    0000ff - blue
    ffff00 - yellow
    ff00ff - magenta
    00ffff - cyan
    ffffff - white
    In case you search for an image after a long time, you might want to use this archive...
    please consider to donate to archive.org
    https://archive.org/download/cmarch...626-SNAPSHOT-XNG3CAO1L8-moto_msm8960_jbbl.zip

edit: here is even more
    https://web.archive.org/web/20161228040926/https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=xt897