Remove All Ads from XDA

[KERNEL][8.1.0] Sultan Kernel [June 20, 2018]

5,867 posts
Thanks Meter: 34,371

By Sultanxda, Recognized Developer on 10th June 2018, 11:32 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Code:
/*
 * Your warranty is no longer valid, unless you lie.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, strained relationships,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this kernel
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */
This is a no-frills custom kernel for the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL designed to be used with the stock ROM and custom Oreo ROMs. It's intended to be a simple replacement for the stock kernel that brings several under-the-hood enhancements. This kernel is not meant to be customized by users.

Changelogs for each update can be found in the 2nd post of this thread.

Features:
  • Compiled with the latest official GCC 8 toolchain
  • Removed lots of excessive bloat (improves security and performance)
  • Fast fingerprint unlock and screen power on
  • Custom CPU boost driver to keep the phone smooth while maximizing battery life (details: 1, 2, 3, 4)
  • Improved memory management (this kernel does not suffer from a massive memory leak and other memory leaks)
  • WireGuard, a next generation secure VPN tunnel (details)
  • Passes SafetyNet bootloader unlock check
  • Reduced power consumption (details: 1, 2)
  • Improved overall system fluidity and graphics performance (details: 1, 2, 3)
  • Improved stability (details)
  • Many other miscellaneous improvements not listed here

Source code:
8.1.0-sultan branch: https://github.com/sultanxda/android...l_google_wahoo

Credits:
  • zx2c4 (for WireGuard, providing project resources, working directly on development, and sending me stickers)
  • nathanchance (for helping with testing, AnyKernel2, and providing lots of general info on this device)
  • osm0sis (for AnyKernel2)
  • If your name should be here and it isn't, then replace my camera with a OnePlus device

Installation instructions:
First of all, this kernel comes with a custom dtbo so DO NOT FLASH A DIFFERENT DTBO AFTER INSTALLING THIS KERNEL! To install this kernel, simply download and flash it in a custom recovery. Do the same when there is a new update available.

Download:
Latest version: https://github.com/sultanxda/android...o_20180620.zip

XDA:DevDB Information
Sultan Kernel, Kernel for the Google Pixel 2 XL

Contributors
Sultanxda
Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2018-06-10
Last Updated 2018-06-18
The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to Sultanxda For This Useful Post: [ View ]

10th June 2018, 11:32 AM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag California

Donate to Me
More
Changelog:

June 20, 2018:
*Reduced power consumed by new CPU boost mechanism

Old changelogs:

June 19, 2018:
*Fixed WeChat

June 18, 2018:
*Added support for custom ROMs (thanks to nathanchance)
*Adjusted CPU boost frequencies to significantly reduce power consumption without hurting performance

June 17, 2018:
*Added new CPU boost driver that maximizes battery life while keeping the phone perfectly smooth (details: 1, 2, 3, 4)
*Fixed potential random reboots caused by coding errors detected using static analysis

June 11, 2018:
*Removed CPU underclock
*Fixed off-mode charging
*Fixed the internal hardware problem error message shown on boot

June 10, 2018:
*Initial release
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Sultanxda For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2018, 11:32 AM |#3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag California

Donate to Me
More
Reserved
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sultanxda For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2018, 12:17 PM |#5  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag California

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidDevices

Wouldn't happen to have Monitor Mode, does it?

No idea what that is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Following User Says Thank You to Sultanxda For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2018, 12:19 PM |#6  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 164

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultanxda

Check this out if u have the time : https://null-byte.****************/h...apter-0162943/

*Edit*
To get Kali Nethunter to run properly, a special kernel with monitor mode needs to be built...
10th June 2018, 12:20 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultanxda

He's probably referring to the "monitor mode" for the Wi-Fi kernel module that lets you passively sniff Wi-Fi traffic with tools such as aircrack-ng and Wireshark.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacoBell For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PacoBell Ad-Free
10th June 2018, 12:23 PM |#8  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 164

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoBell

He's probably referring to the "monitor mode" for the Wi-Fi kernel module that lets you passively sniff Wi-Fi traffic with tools such as aircrack-ng and Wireshark.

Exactly...thanks
10th June 2018, 01:19 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Your rom and kernel were great on the oneplus 3t. Finally you are here. Flashed your kernel right away. I'm getting an error message after reboot before entering my sim pin, saying, that there is an internal hardware problem and I should contact the manufacturer. After hitting ok everything works as it should. Is this because of the underclock?
I flashed it directly on top of the flash kernel. Could that be the issue? I'm on pure stock with magisk.

Thanks
10th June 2018, 01:21 PM |#10  
Düsseldorf
Thanks Meter: 995

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moqwai.

Your rom and kernel were great on the oneplus 3t. Finally you are here. Flashed your kernel right away. I'm getting an error message after reboot before entering my sim pin, saying, that there is an internal hardware problem and I should contact the manufacturer. After hitting ok everything works as it should. Is this because of the underclock?
I flashed it directly on top of the flash kernel. Could that be the issue? I'm on pure stock with magisk.

Thanks

Maybe flash stock kernel first before flashing sultanst kernel. but im not sure if it's necessary or not.
The message you got seems to be harmless.check the elemental thread.guys reported the same message..
10th June 2018, 01:24 PM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 4,239

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moqwai.

Thanks

It's the dtbo image patch bug(or whatever it's called). It's totally harmless. I've got it too, so does Ex kernel. Simple fix....fastboot the dtbo.img from the latest factory image
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Badger50 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Badger50 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)