FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

TWRP 3.2.3-1 for Pixel 2 XL

1,705 posts
Thanks Meter: 13,603

Post Reply Email Thread
Note: Do not use if you have multiple users (including a guest user)

Lots more information here: https://plus.google.com/u/1/+DeesTroy/posts/i33ygUi7tiu

I strongly recommend that kernel developers start building the touch drivers into the kernel instead of depending on modules to ensure a fully functional TWRP since recovery is now part of the boot partition.

Be careful about what you install on your device as far as kernels and ROMs go. I think there is a high potential for losing the ability to decrypt because of the OS and patch level tags that are included in the boot image and the anti-rollback features that Google has implemented.

MTP does not work in TWRP on the Pixel 2 and will not work until we have time to update the TWRP MTP implementation. You may still use adb to push and pull files.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, you will need to reflash root.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

3.2.1-1 has working decrypt with the February security patch!
3.2.1-2 fixes some zip install errors
3.2.3-1 supports decrypting Android 9.0 Pie even with a pin / pattern / password set

Pixel 2:
https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel2.html
https://dl.twrp.me/walleye/

Pixel 2 XL:
https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel2xl.html
https://dl.twrp.me/taimen/
The Following 245 Users Say Thank You to Dees_Troy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st October 2017, 11:13 PM |#2  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag KC MO
Thanks Meter: 13,603

Donate to Me
More
Reserved!
The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to Dees_Troy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st October 2017, 11:17 PM |#3  
Flag Smith River
Thanks Meter: 5,614

More
Awesome to see the progress here, thank you for working on it and dealing with all the impatient requests. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread 😉
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clothednblack For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift clothednblack Ad-Free
31st October 2017, 11:21 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 71

More
Hurray for progress!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vanydotk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vanydotk Ad-Free
31st October 2017, 11:39 PM |#5  
Earth
Thanks Meter: 1,811

More
fastboot boot /path/to/twrp.img reboots into TWRP, but it never goes past the teamwin splash screen. I am able to reboot the phone normally after that, so no biggie.
I don't have time now to mess with figuring out how to get you logs, but I'll do that later this evening. Just wanted to give you a quick "what happened when I tried it."

And THANK YOU for working on this for us so quickly!

Edit: The logs are posted here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/pix...8/post74363478
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sharkie405 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sharkie405 Ad-Free
31st October 2017, 11:47 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 455

More
This makes me smile. Thanks Troy and TeamWin!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idkwhothatis123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift idkwhothatis123 Ad-Free
31st October 2017, 11:54 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1,370

More
Thanks Dees_Troy and Team for getting this started!
31st October 2017, 11:56 PM |#8  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 1,171

More
Things are looking up, thanks guys!
The Following User Says Thank You to shindiggity For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shindiggity Ad-Free
1st November 2017, 12:12 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 200

More
You da man
1st November 2017, 12:23 AM |#11  
Earth
Thanks Meter: 1,811

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie405

fastboot boot /path/to/twrp.img reboots into TWRP, but it never goes past the teamwin splash screen. I am able to reboot the phone normally after that, so no biggie.
I don't have time now to mess with figuring out how to get you logs, but I'll do that later this evening. Just wanted to give you a quick "what happened when I tried it."

And THANK YOU for working on this for us so quickly!

Here are those logs.
Attached Files
File Type: log recovery.log - [Click for QR Code] (1.7 KB, 208 views)
File Type: log dmesg.log - [Click for QR Code] (166.1 KB, 86 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sharkie405 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sharkie405 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)