FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

8.1 Update broke proximity sensor ??

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By grigi93, Junior Member on 13th December 2017, 08:56 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
hey guys, maybe someone can help with my pixel 2 XL 64 GB in Germany

Since I upgraded to 8.1 my ambient screen doesn't work properly, black screen on calls and so on. I'm pretty sure it's some change with the proximity sensor. i used some apps to test the sensor and when I clean my screen really hard everything works fine (shows "far" in the test app) but when i just wave without touching the screen, it goes to "near" and doesn't recover until i wipe the screen again ( wtf?). I can't really use the phone like this. I am in contact with Google support but they give the generic suggestions like restart the phone etc.
Everything worked fine under 8.0. i actually went ahead and flashed 8.0 back on and it works properly. it seems like they increased the sensors aggressiveness in 8.1.

For most people the problem gets resolved by taking off the screen protector but I don't have one applied. neither are there any scratches on the display. Maybe my sensor is flawed in some way :/

I also tried the turning on /off adaptive brightness trick, to which there is a thread somewhere.

maybe you guys can share your experiences or fixes,
Thanks and Liebe Grüße from Germany !
The Following User Says Thank You to grigi93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift grigi93 Ad-Free

13th December 2017, 09:08 AM |#2  
Flag NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Thanks Meter: 817

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigi93

hey guys, maybe someone can help with my pixel 2 XL 64 GB in Germany

Since I upgraded to 8.1 my ambient screen doesn't work properly, black screen on calls and so on. I'm pretty sure it's some change with the proximity sensor. i used some apps to test the sensor and when I clean my screen really hard everything works fine (shows "far" in the test app) but when i just wave without touching the screen, it goes to "near" and doesn't recover until i wipe the screen again ( wtf?). I can't really use the phone like this. I am in contact with Google support but they give the generic suggestions like restart the phone etc.
Everything worked fine under 8.0. i actually went ahead and flashed 8.0 back on and it works properly. it seems like they increased the sensors aggressiveness in 8.1.

For most people the problem gets resolved by taking off the screen protector but I don't have one applied. neither are there any scratches on the display. Maybe my sensor is flawed in some way :/

I also tried the turning on /off adaptive brightness trick, to which there is a thread somewhere.

maybe you guys can share your experiences or fixes,
Thanks and Liebe Grüße from Germany !

I myself had some odd behaviors after updating by using the factory image with the -w removed from the flash-all.bat and ended up starting from scratch due to my cat. (Long story) but anyway, I think you will find a few other folks had bad results of some sort or other after updating. Personally, I would back up everything with TiBu and a good nandroid. ( kill any pin or fingerprint stuff first). Get anything off the internal storage you don't want to lose also.

Worst case you have a few hours of putting it back together and best case you flash from scratch and restore your data partition in TWRP.

If you factor in the time screwing around trying to "fix" it, you might be better off starting over. Unless you did actually install 8.1 from scratch them forget all this. Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to CyberpodS2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CyberpodS2 Ad-Free
13th December 2017, 10:14 AM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 3,921

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpodS2

I myself had some odd behaviors after updating by using the factory image with the -w removed from the flash-all.bat and ended up starting from scratch due to my cat. (Long story) but anyway, I think you will find a few other folks had bad results of some sort or other after updating. Personally, I would back up everything with TiBu and a good nandroid. ( kill any pin or fingerprint stuff first). Get anything off the internal storage you don't want to lose also.

Worst case you have a few hours of putting it back together and best case you flash from scratch and restore your data partition in TWRP.

If you factor in the time screwing around trying to "fix" it, you might be better off starting over. Unless you did actually install 8.1 from scratch them forget all this. Lol

I did enjoy your cat story a while back! Dang varmints!
The Following User Says Thank You to Badger50 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Badger50 Ad-Free
13th December 2017, 03:23 PM |#4  
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 1

More
FWIW - I received the OTA update on my phone (unlocked version) and the proximity sensor seems to be screwed up. I having the same issues you've described. I've also got the mooshi ion glass screen protector on my phone.
13th December 2017, 10:03 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpodS2

thank you! i already did a fresh factory flash of the 8.1 firmware from the Google devs website. Didn't solve the problem though It works fine on 8.0 so I don't get it.
It's really strange that only a bunch of people experience this problem. I kinda hoped for a functioning phone , at least for 1000 bucks.
I'm considering to get a replacement if nobody finds a fix to this.
The Following User Says Thank You to grigi93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift grigi93 Ad-Free
13th December 2017, 11:33 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Not sure if it'll help, but I installed "Sensors test" by Ettore Zaffaroni. Mine works just fine on 8.1 stock unrooted. The version is the OTA update to DP2.

In the Proximity test, at the bottom of that is says:
Vendor: AMS TAOS
Version: 2
Max Range: 5 cm
Resolution: 1 cm
Current: 01. ma

Maybe check and see if it is the same vendor and version. And if the other numbers match. I measured it activating between 1 1/2 inches and 2 inches, pretty much only directly in front of the sensor. I have a screen protector but with a hole cut out over the sensor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Voicebox For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Voicebox Ad-Free
14th December 2017, 04:40 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Same issue here, no screen protector installed. Tried a factory reset without luck, tried safe mode without luck. Only started since 8.1 update.
14th December 2017, 05:24 PM |#8  
Flag Eastern Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Since the 8.1 OTA, I'm having an issue where the Always on Display doesn't always stay on and when the screen goes black, I can't use double-tap to wake it back up. I have to use the power button to turn the screen back on. I wonder if it's related to the proximity issue, because it's almost as if the screen thinks you have the phone up to your ear...?
The Following User Says Thank You to ogarlen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ogarlen Ad-Free
14th December 2017, 05:31 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogarlen

Since the 8.1 OTA, I'm having an issue where the Always on Display doesn't always stay on and when the screen goes black, I can't use double-tap to wake it back up. I have to use the power button to turn the screen back on. I wonder if it's related to the proximity issue, because it's almost as if the screen thinks you have the phone up to your ear...?

Same issue here. Downloaded Sensors test, and Proximity shows as "NEAR", I've got a screen protector covering the sensor.
14th December 2017, 05:44 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have the same issue. Pixel 2 xl, after upgrading to 8.1, proximity sensor says near when screen protector is on. I think that most likely something is messed up with the update.
14th December 2017, 05:46 PM |#11  
Flag Eastern Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Wanted to add that I have a screen protector, however had the same one on 8.0 and had no issues. Also that neither DT2W or raise to wake works when the screen goes black, only pressing the power button. The issue seems intermittent. Always On Display seems to be working about half the time, whether I allow the screen to automatically shut off after a minute or if I press the power button to shut the screen off.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)