FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

HDR+ on vs HDR+ Enhanced?

934 posts
Thanks Meter: 134

By Don_Perrignon, Senior Member on 1st November 2017, 12:21 PM
View First Unread Post Reply Email Thread
When searching for this, the explanations make it more confusing. Can anybody help?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using XDA-Developers Legacy app
The Following User Says Thank You to Don_Perrignon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Don_Perrignon Ad-Free
1st November 2017, 03:40 PM |#2  
Flag Raleigh
Thanks Meter: 166

More
+1
GuestK00128
1st November 2017, 08:09 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
HDR+ is basically the old HDR auto mode. It may or may not use HDR depending on conditions.

The HDR+ Enhanced mode is now the HDR on mode. It will always use HDR.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
1st November 2017, 10:16 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Antonio, Texas, USA
Thanks Meter: 134

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkshr

HDR+ is basically the old HDR auto mode. It may or may not use HDR depending on conditions.

The HDR+ Enhanced mode is now the HDR on mode. It will always use HDR.

Thanks, man

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using XDA-Developers Legacy app
2nd November 2017, 01:41 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
This isn't correct. The HDR plus on is the always on mode that is default. It constantly takes underexposed photos and combines them to create better color and dynamic range. The HDR enhanced is the classic HDR that's on most phones that takes a underexposed, regular and over exposed photo and combines them for a bigger effect. This takes longer and is effected by movement very easily.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dakalter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dakalter Ad-Free
2nd November 2017, 05:09 AM |#6  
Flag Junction City
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakalter

This isn't correct. The HDR plus on is the always on mode that is default. It constantly takes underexposed photos and combines them to create better color and dynamic range. The HDR enhanced is the classic HDR that's on most phones that takes a underexposed, regular and over exposed photo and combines them for a bigger effect. This takes longer and is effected by movement very easily.

So which one would you say is better to take photos on? Sorry, I am a noob when it comes to photography
2nd November 2017, 05:25 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
The default is good for most situations and is the one Google works to improve the most. It's very fast at that setting as well.
2nd November 2017, 05:42 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 423

More
I'm not even seeing HDR options in my camera. Isn't it normally at the top?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
2nd November 2017, 06:13 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 359

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiestuff

I'm not even seeing HDR options in my camera. Isn't it normally at the top?

There's a toggle somewhere in the camera settings that will make it appear at the top

The Following User Says Thank You to murso74 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift murso74 Ad-Free
5th December 2017, 11:00 PM |#10  
Flag The Woodlands, TX
Thanks Meter: 614

More
Okay, just revisiting this thread now that 8.1 is out and visual core is enabled. Am I right to think HDR+Enhanced is the one to leave it on? Should be faster than ever now with the dedicated co-processor. Dunno? That is what I have it set to now. Thoughts?
GuestK00128
5th December 2017, 11:29 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakalter

This is not my understanding

Quote:

Sorry everyone, but HDR+ Enhanced is nothing special. Google just renamed the strings to better reflect how HDR+ works in the Google Camera app.

<string name="hdr_auto_desc">HDR+ on</string>
<string name="hdr_on_desc">HDR+ enhanced</string>
<string name="hdr_plus_auto_desc">HDR Plus on</string>
<string name="hdr_plus_on_desc">HDR Plus enhanced</string>

As you can see in the above strings, taken from an APK teardown of the latest Google Camera app, what was previously known as HDR+ Auto is now HDR+ On and what was once known as HDR+ On is now HDR+ Enhanced.

https://www.xda-developers.com/downl...-motion-photo/
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)