FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Pixel 2 XL screen quality?

222 posts
Thanks Meter: 86

By FMXP, Senior Member on 9th October 2017, 11:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
There have been complaints about the LG POLED screens regarding screen uniformity. Hopefully Google gets the better quality panels than what LG uses on their own devices. I know that if I receive my phone and the screen looks like this, it's going back in the mail to be returned to Google the same day. I hope they don't screw this up, the Pixel 2 XL is such an expensive device that selling people screens like that on a $1,000 phone will not acceptable to a lot of buyers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	10794
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	4297875  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FMXP For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FMXP Ad-Free

10th October 2017, 12:10 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 515

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMXP

There have been complaints about the LG POLED screens regarding screen uniformity. Hopefully Google gets the better quality panels than what LG uses on their own devices. I know that if I receive my phone and the screen looks like this, it's going back in the mail to be returned to Google the same day. I hope they don't screw this up, the Pixel 2 XL is such an expensive device that selling people screens like that on a $1,000 phone will not acceptable to a lot of buyers.

I somewhat am afraid of this also. I don't mind that LG is making this panel but I do mind if it looks like this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to obsanity For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift obsanity Ad-Free
10th October 2017, 02:15 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 86

More
It will definitely be tested ASAP. If the panels reveal the same issues, we will know about it with the quickness.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
10th October 2017, 05:02 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 222

More
It's going to have the same issues because it's the same screen. Don't expect otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to BoboBrazil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BoboBrazil Ad-Free
10th October 2017, 08:53 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 63

More
I wonder if it's the same screen. The V30 display is HDR, 109% DCI-P3, 148% sRGB. The Pixel 2 XL has no mention of HDR and 100% DCI-P3.
10th October 2017, 09:04 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 222

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey

I wonder if it's the same screen. The V30 display is HDR, 109% DCI-P3, 148% sRGB. The Pixel 2 XL has no mention of HDR and 100% DCI-P3.

It's gonna be the same. They aren't manufacturing different panels for the v30 and xl2.
10th October 2017, 09:49 PM |#7  
Flag GMT -5
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Just in case, what is the out of the box test procedure to fully inspect screen for quality or defects?
The Following User Says Thank You to Born<ICs For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Born<ICs Ad-Free
10th October 2017, 10:24 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 175

More
How many complaints have there been? I've only seen the screenshot posted in the OP, which was posted by ARS technica if I'm not mistaken. I also remember David over at Androidpolice mentioning it when the brightness is set to minimum on one Pixel 2 XL unit. Unless we start getting reviews this isn't a widespread issue. Only two units have been confirmed so far, so no need to worry.

Not to mention, LG isn't the only one that has this issue, some s7 and s8 phones have this issue too:

http://i.imgur.com/XmS7SVh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fusYikY.jpg

https://forum.xda-developers.com/att...0&d=1457658022
10th October 2017, 10:34 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 285

More
Does anyone k ow how bright the screen is supposed to be in nitts?
10th October 2017, 10:45 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 175

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg411

Does anyone k ow how bright the screen is supposed to be in nitts?

Not known yet, have to wait for the reviews. V30 reviews might eventually shed light on this if they are released before any Pixel 2 XL reviews.
The Following User Says Thank You to scandalousk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scandalousk Ad-Free
12th October 2017, 11:21 PM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Burleson TX
Thanks Meter: 8,329

Donate to Me
More
The screen is 100% DPI-P3. It says it on their website.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)