Pixel 2 XL screen quality?

Search This thread
Oct 17, 2017
Palo Alto
I don't know if this is good news or not, but my pre-order was supposed to ship today but Google says that shipments are delayed. I'm hoping this is because Google is holding off shipping any more of the initial batches.......
Not likely, they're just late with the shipping. Mine was supposed to be shipped yesterday and I eventually did get a tracking number today. So hopefully it'll be here tomorrow.

tjtj4444

Apr 11, 2011
Mike Barett has made a video and opened a discussion on Reddit about the state of the Pixel 2 XL display.

Please read, watch and share the information below. People need to have a better understanding of what exactly is going on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/78oyf3/pixel_2_xl_polarization_demo/

Description

The reason the XL has slight blue hues at various viewing angles is due to the embedded polarizer. It is a trade off for being able to view your phone outdoors with sunglasses.

The reason I shot this video is to demonstrate how this works in real-time and to make people aware of this. Many are considering this trade off to be some form of display manufacturing issue which I don't believe is true.

Surely it can be improved upon, but for the time being this is the result.

There is no fix for the blue hue tinting issues unless Google decides to remove the polarizer.

https://youtu.be/mDspwB6JIkg

Thanks a lot Mike Barrett
The blue tint seems to differ a lot between different 2XL's. If that is true then there is an instable production process causing much more blue tint on some screens.
I'd really like to know if there are any videos/photos of two 2XL's with very different amount of blue tint?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

th3discodancer

Oct 20, 2011
Honestly,

I don't understand all the energy being put into the what if, and how's this, and should I do this (or the petty bickering either, but that's another topic).....

My 2 XL should be delivered Thursday or Friday.

When I get it, this is what I'm going to do:

set it up,
play with it,
listen to the speakers,
take some pics (view them at diff angles (not sure if I'll use mils or degrees, but they will be angles)
play a few graphic intensive games,
Try to root if something becomes available.

Here comes the best part:

THEN, I will make a decision to keep it, wait for a software update, wait for a new batch to get built and the problems to go away then RMA it, or I'll return it and ride my 6P running Pure Nexus for a while longer.

Giving and reading other's reviews are good insight, but If you are worried by all the "bad reviews" you are reading about the display, the sound, the blue tint; either wait until YOUR device shows up and follow my handy dandy do-it-yourself decision guide, or hit the local cell store and play with one for 5-10 minutes.

DO NOT let someone else's observations make your decisions for you, add your own observation first.

You'd never marry someone because of a review, why buy a $1,000 device that way? Check that stuff out on your own! (that wicked logic is FREE)

And above all, interact with each other respectfully and with the intent of being helpful. The rude, bickering, and insults really are unnecessary. Be helpful or be silent.

Yes, I'll be posting a review once I've gone through my 2 XL, but please, add to your own experience before making your decisions.

Peace :D
Thing is, buyers like me who are not from the USA can not get it RMA'd. We have to buy it from a vendor and the vendors do not comply once we've had the device for 10 days.

As a matter of fact, even in those 10 days, the ONLY case in which we're issued replacements is when the product is shipped with a hardware defect out of the box.
A lot of times, they disregard the screen quality issues saying that it's "supposed to be like that" or that all devices are like that. If they come over to check the phone, the personnel will simply tell you that it looks fine to him/he can't see the problem and that's it. You have to live with it.

We have to then deal with Google's customer support which is practically non existent. I did talk to them and they did say that would take necessary steps if the official vendors fail to support the customer, but then again, they were nowhere to be found when my 6P died on me

Refund is out of the question altogether.

stumpy352

Sep 20, 2011
Thing is, buyers like me who are not from the USA can not get it RMA'd. We have to buy it from a vendor and the vendors do not comply once we've had the device for 10 days.

As a matter of fact, even in those 10 days, the ONLY case in which we're issued replacements is when the product is shipped with a hardware defect out of the box.
A lot of times, they disregard the screen quality issues saying that it's "supposed to be like that" or that all devices are like that. If they come over to check the phone, the personnel will simply tell you that it looks fine to him/he can't see the problem and that's it. You have to live with it.

We have to then deal with Google's customer support which is practically non existent. I did talk to them and they did say that would take necessary steps if the official vendors fail to support the customer, but then again, they were nowhere to be found when my 6P died on me

Or, even if we can prove that the device is faulty, we have to allow the vendor to send the device away to be tested or repaired, which means we are without the device for up to 30 days. And still no guarantee that it will return without faults. I am forced to deal with Telstra in Australia, and 99% of the time, your best chance is getting a refurb replacement. Under no circumstances will they replace it with a new device once you've taken possession of it. And with this device being a pre-order, it gets shipped directly to my house. So basically, I have taken possession before I can even establish whether there are faults or not.
Unless we pay outright from the google store, google support is fairly nonexistent here.

Sent from my LG-H870 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member

Or, even if we can prove that the device is faulty, we have to allow the vendor to send the device away to be tested or repaired, which means we are without the device for up to 30 days. And still no guarantee that it will return without faults. I am forced to deal with Telstra in Australia, and 99% of the time, your best chance is getting a refurb replacement. Under no circumstances will they replace it with a new device once you've taken possession of it. And with this device being a pre-order, it gets shipped directly to my house. So basically, I have taken possession before I can even establish whether there are faults or not.
Unless we pay outright from the google store, google support is fairly nonexistent here.

Good points. I errantly left out those not in the U.S market, my bad.

Bottom line: no one should make a $1,000 decision based solely on the subjectivity or review of someone else.

Of course, there ARE exceptions: If dozen of people run out of the ocean screaming shark, you can make a decision based solely on their observations :p

Reactions: Sachin

th3discodancer

Oct 20, 2011

Oh, god, yeah. Exactly the same situation here.

For buyers in US, yeah, I agree. I don't understand why I'm seeing people mostly from the US here when Google's basically got you covered on the off chance that your device turns out faulty. Just get it RMA'd and you're good lol.
You guys have nothing to panic about :p

raidflex

Apr 30, 2008

Then why not just wait to see how things play out so there is less chance of a problem.

perveeus

Dec 20, 2008
So many fanboys defending this obviously **** screen, why isn't there a 79 pg thread in the s8,s8+,note8 forums about screen burn in/ image retention? Because it's a rare fault that amoleds can suffer from. Shouldn't be this common on a 2017 $1,000 phone

But there are several thousand pages about what fat bloated phones Samsungs are.

Stop your trolling.
We're adults here.

Reactions: Sachin

Raistlin1

Oct 1, 2010
The blue shift really doesn't bother me, it would have been better if it shifted to blue at a sharper angle though. What does bother me is that sometimes it appears that the right side of my screen is a shade darker than the left. I only notice it on certain apps/pages, if I run the screen test app and view the white/grey/color screens I cannot notice it. So part of me is thinking I am going crazy, but I definitely notice it. Maybe it has something to do with the blue shift and the angle of the phone.

Toothdock

Dec 28, 2016
lol..that looks flawless compared to mine. I'll probably wind up RMAing to see if I get a "better" one. It can't be worse (or can it?:confused:)

If you RMA does it reset your return window? I would like to try an RMA before I either settle for this one or return it completely....But I don't want to lose the ability for a full return.

ProAm500

Jul 1, 2007
If you RMA does it reset your return window? I would like to try an RMA before I either settle for this one or return it completely....But I don't want to lose the ability for a full return.

No idea. Either way, I'm not going to "return" it. At worst, I'll flip in on swappa or whatever. I'm just waiting to see more reports about people getting phones with "better" screens, build dates, etc to try to time when I do the RMA. It really all seems like a crap shoot whether you get a screen with a lot of blue or not. Maybe its all in our heads at this point lol:eek:

My manufactured date is October 11th this is my second phone, the first was a week earlier manufacturer date. It had severe burn in, and very blue screening. Nothing else wrong with the first phone. This newest phone no screen burn in yet, but extremely blue when turning at any angle. I'm keeping the phone. It's great but i have confidence if i have a problem down the road Google will take care of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: blcklab

raidflex

Apr 30, 2008
My manufactured date is October 11th this is my second phone, the first was a week earlier manufacturer date. It had severe burn in, and very blue screening. Nothing else wrong with the first phone. This newest phone no screen burn in yet, but extremely blue when turning at any angle. I'm keeping the phone. It's great but i have confidence if i have a problem down the road Google will take care of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using XDA-Developers Legacy app

I have a phone from the same MFG date and the blue tint is not that bad....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those who are curious, this is my Galaxy S8 Plus vs. my Pixel 2 XL. Head on and at angle.

As you can see, the P2XL has a warmer display than the S8+ looking directly at it, once we move to an angle both phones do color shift. The S8+ shifts to a more warm pinkish, and the Pixel 2 XL shifts to a cooler blue. Almost like they swap places.

To me, it's a 100 percent non-issue and I never notice it on either phone on a day to day use.

phonecomp.jpg
    Honestly,

I don't understand all the energy being put into the what if, and how's this, and should I do this (or the petty bickering either, but that's another topic).....

My 2 XL should be delivered Thursday or Friday.

When I get it, this is what I'm going to do:

set it up,
    play with it,
    listen to the speakers,
    take some pics (view them at diff angles (not sure if I'll use mils or degrees, but they will be angles)
    play a few graphic intensive games,
    Try to root if something becomes available.

Here comes the best part:

THEN, I will make a decision to keep it, wait for a software update, wait for a new batch to get built and the problems to go away then RMA it, or I'll return it and ride my 6P running Pure Nexus for a while longer.

Giving and reading other's reviews are good insight, but If you are worried by all the "bad reviews" you are reading about the display, the sound, the blue tint; either wait until YOUR device shows up and follow my handy dandy do-it-yourself decision guide, or hit the local cell store and play with one for 5-10 minutes.

DO NOT let someone else's observations make your decisions for you, add your own observation first.

You'd never marry someone because of a review, why buy a $1,000 device that way? Check that stuff out on your own! (that wicked logic is FREE)

And above all, interact with each other respectfully and with the intent of being helpful. The rude, bickering, and insults really are unnecessary. Be helpful or be silent.

Yes, I'll be posting a review once I've gone through my 2 XL, but please, add to your own experience before making your decisions.

Peace :D
    Thread cleaned again!
    Please read forum rules before posting
    Attacks on other members will NOT be tolerated
    EVERYONE has a right to their opinion
    Read it and move on, or post yours without attacking another's!

FYI...blue shift is not a bug...it's a feature :silly:
    Been using mine for a few hours now next to my original Pixel XL. Thoughts on the main three screen "issues" below.

Colors

The 2 XL does have colors that are much more muted out of the box than most devices these days. Is it distractedly bad? Not in the slightest. There's nothing wrong with the colors from a technical standpoint. That said, I do prefer a more saturated display. The good news is the colors look almost identical the original XL when sRGB is switched on in Developer Options, so that's likely a fairly straightforward software fix that we'll hopefully get. Even if Google never issues a software fix, I'm fine with the sRGB colors. If you use it for awhile on its own, you get used to it. If I had set the phone up completely apart from any other device, I would have noticed the colors are more muted, but it wouldn't be as obvious without all of the discussion around it and a direct comparison to the original Pixel XL. Not a deal breaker for me.​

Blue Tint

The blue tint when tilting is very real and can be very distracting. When you're looking straight at the screen, which will be most of the time, all is well. But even just a slight tilt brings out a noticeably blue tint. If you use a stand or a case with a kickstand that puts the phone slightly off from being a direct line of sight, you're going to see it. There are likely some software tweaks that could be implemented, but it's doubtful this will ever completely go away as it seems to be hardware-related. This is something I definitely would have noticed quickly even if there had not been discussion about it online. It's impossible to miss, especially on white backgrounds (like the setup screens). If anything about the display is going to be a deal breaker for me, it will be this.​

Graininess

Yes, on light backgrounds at very low brightness, there is a sort of graininess that can be seen. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. But I'm not sure if it's something I would have noticed quickly (or at all) if I wasn't looking for it. Likely hardware-related, but software could potentially help a bit. Not a deal breaker for me.​

Overall, the screen isn't as bad as many are making it out to be. It's not as good as it should be for this price range, but one of the major three "issues" comes down to preference, not a lack of quality with the panel. Another (graininess) isn't a big deal to me. The third is what has given me a bit of uncertainty. I need to give it a few days of use before I decide. I'm still extremely happy with the original Pixel XL, and I know I'd be just fine holding onto it for another year. That said, I have a feel the other upgrades to the 2 XL (water resistance, front-facing speakers, upgraded internals, and most importantly that camera) will keep me on board.

As for recommendations, you really need to look at it yourself and decide how you feel about it.
    I'm treating the blue shift as a privacy filter, if your trying to peep my phone good luck! [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk