Pixel 2 XL screen quality?

207 posts
Thanks Meter: 80

By FMXP, Senior Member on 9th October 2017, 11:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd October 2017, 02:35 AM |#531  
Thanks Meter: 173

More
SD card gives you more options and a better value.
It's a simple concept.
Companies higher storage prices are a rip off. Over the years you can take the storage with you. Increasing the savings significantly.

Hardware has not improved much in reality in the last 3 years.
It's mostly in the benchmarks.
Bigger screen with smaller bezels is great though.

S7 was a step back in most conditions with only a small improvement in low light. S8 has come back to basically par plus a little in most conditions and improved low light slightly more.
It's not that big of a difference from Samsung a few years ago or between the main flagships of the last 2 years.

Front fingerprint reader is more convenient than rear. Simple fact.
You can't unlock on a desk, in a mount, etc.
Under screen or very good face/eye would be best.
There are still phones with front like Mate 10 which has tiny bezels or side like on Sony.

3400ish battery is just average. Most flagships with the same screen size are about the same.
Screen on time hasn't improved much in the last few years. Comparing screen size to screen size.

Two front facing speakers that are about the same as a very good single mono is really missing the point.
They botched this if that's the best they can do with two big speakers.

Headphone jack has better audio quality by far than Bluetooth. It gives you more options. It takes very little space regardless of what the marketing departments try to brainwash you with.
There is no reasonable replacement let alone a better replacement at this time or in the next 10+ years.

23rd October 2017, 02:42 AM |#532  
Flag Sacramento
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by meboy

There are still phones with front like Mate 10 which has tiny bezels or side like on Sony.

I can double tap on the screen and use my unlock pattern or Pin to wake it up on a table. Frankly, I can't think of the last time that I've had to do this. If I'm going to use it, it's going to be in my hand. I can double tap to see any alerts and if I'm going to interact with them, I'm going to pick the phone up.

I will admit, it's slightly weird in a car mount, but my newer car has Android Auto and the interaction is with the screen on the car, not on the phone itself.
23rd October 2017, 02:46 AM |#533  
Thanks Meter: 151

More
at least you get 3 years update now.
the sad thing is unlimited storage ends after 3 years.
SD card is not safe. so
the high price is competing with samsung and iPhone they screen are alot better.....so it's not a good move Google..
23rd October 2017, 02:47 AM |#534  
OH
Thanks Meter: 132

More
Googles response

“The Pixel 2 XL screen has been designed with an advanced POLED technology, including QHD+ resolution, wide color gamut, and high contrast ratio for natural and beautiful colors and renderings. We put all of our products through extensive quality testing before launch and in the manufacturing of every unit. We are actively investigating this report.”
23rd October 2017, 02:49 AM |#535  
chicago
Thanks Meter: 469

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_VASS

Googles response

“The Pixel 2 XL screen has been designed with an advanced POLED technology, including QHD+ resolution, wide color gamut, and high contrast ratio for natural and beautiful colors and renderings. We put all of our products through extensive quality testing before launch and in the manufacturing of every unit. We are actively investigating this report.”

Where was this posted
23rd October 2017, 02:56 AM |#537  
OH
Thanks Meter: 132

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalker0906

Where was this posted

Posted on 9to5 google

https://9to5google.com/2017/10/22/go...-2-xl-burn-in/
23rd October 2017, 02:58 AM |#538  
Flag Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 311

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by meboy

SD card gives you more options and a better value.
It's a simple concept.
Companies higher storage prices are a rip off. Over the years you can take the storage with you. Increasing the savings significantly.

Hardware has not improved much in reality in the last 3 years.
It's mostly in the benchmarks.
Bigger screen with smaller bezels is great though.

S7 was a step back in most conditions with only a small improvement in low light. S8 has come back to basically par plus a little in most conditions and improved low light slightly more.
It's not that big of a difference from Samsung a few years ago or between the main flagships of the last 2 years.

3400ish battery is just average. Most flagships with the same screen size are about the same.
Screen on time hasn't improved much in the last few years. Comparing screen size to screen size.

Two front facing speakers that are about the same as a very good single mono is really missing the point.
They botched this if that's the best they can do with two big speakers.

Headphone jack has better audio quality by far than Bluetooth. It gives you more options. It takes very little space regardless of what the marketing departments try to brainwash you with.
There is no reasonable replacement let alone a better replacement at this time or in the next 10+ years.

I don't understand why you are spending so much time and effort flogging this phone. Do you own one? If so, you need to send it back. If you have one ordered, you should cancel your order - you surely won't like it. If you don't own one or have one ordered, what's the deal? I have one and I like it. I like the speakers, the display and I have no burn in. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, that's what we do here but you are killing us with gloom & doom.
23rd October 2017, 03:00 AM |#539  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalker0906

Where was this posted

The Verge asked Google for comment and posted the response from their spokesperson in this article:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/22/...screen-burn-in

These issues are starting to add up. I don't want to cancel my pre-order but I also don't want a faulty phone. I have a few days to decide before mine is scheduled to ship so hopefully Google says something to ease my mind before then. Yes, I know I can return it if it's unsatisfactory, but that's a hassle I don't want to mess with. My Nexus 6P is working just fine and I can easily wait a few weeks or months to ensure I'm not getting a half-baked device.
23rd October 2017, 03:03 AM |#540  
Flag Ontario, Canada
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoboBrazil

Pixel 2 XL panels have bad burn in issues https://9to5google.com/2017/10/22/go...-2-xl-burn-in/

These panels seem to be samsung quality panels from 4 years ago

I feel like people are just looking for problems with the Pixel 2 XL now. I downloaded the image on that site and tested it on my OG Pixel XL, and I see the "burn in" at the nav bar. I believe this was a Samsung screen, so where was all the uproar with this screen? Also I might add, I never noticed this burn in in the year I've had this phone, until i did this test, which just goes to show how much of a problem it really isn't. So, I believe problems will always be found if you go looking for them. I'm not trying to deny there may be a problem, but it just seems like every reviewer is looking for them more on the Pixel 2 XL.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RPAusCan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RPAusCan Ad-Free
23rd October 2017, 03:13 AM |#541  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 22

More
(sigh) for me, this is death by a thousand cuts for the 2XL...

I could live with washed-out colors. Actually, they kind of remind me of the Nexus 4....
I am not sure about the blue tint, but I get the impression that just checking the demo units at the local Verizon store doesn't tell the whole story. Those units have the brightness cranked up to the max, which you need in the harsh light of the showroom and display area. But, what under more normal viewing conditions? Depending on circumstances, it may or may not be an issue. Ditto for the grainy display issue. Furthermore, cranking up the brightness may hide the issues, but will affect battery life, so that's another consideration.
Now the burn-in. This is serious, and not something I've thought about since the early Samsung OLED days.

Overall, the best course of action for me is to wait and see.. Maybe Google will take drastic action (as in, a mid-cycle refresh of the Pixel 2 XL, using Samsung displays). Maybe not. But I've cancelled my order for now. Not that I'm happy about it!

That said, my Nexus 6p still rocks. I love the camera (except that it could be a bit faster to open up), and the performance is OK under Oreo. I really only notice its age when opening heavy websites (cnn, the verge, etc.). I hope to get a few extra months of service from my old friend
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarcianoS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MarcianoS Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)