Poor battery life after 8.1

Search This thread

weedlucho

Jan 12, 2013
MADRID
I updated to January 8.1 yesterday, the first hour after the update the screen, fingerprint scanner and speaker while in call, all gave me troubles, I had to reboot the phones 2 times, and no more problems. But today I think my battery is not as good as yesterday morning...

What do u think?

Screenshot_20180111-153139.pngScreenshot_20180111-153146.png

Enviado desde mi Pixel 2 XL mediante Tapatalk

radlink14

May 1, 2010
I updated to January 8.1 yesterday, the first hour after the update the screen, fingerprint scanner and speaker while in call, all gave me troubles, I had to reboot the phones 2 times, and no more problems. But today I think my battery is not as good as yesterday morning...

What do u think?

View attachment 4386248View attachment 4386249

Enviado desde mi Pixel 2 XL mediante Tapatalk

I think your battery life is pretty good! Look at my ****ty battery after 8.1

68% with only 1 hour of SOT.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180111-153957.png
    Screenshot_20180111-153957.png
    192 KB · Views: 609

Felosis

Apr 20, 2011
Winthrop Harbor, IL
Have you tried "top" from a terminal yet? I use it all the time and has always been the best bet over any battery app. Do a "su" first then "top" to see all processes. You'll see the apps at the top using most CPU. You have to be rooted for "su".

Igal84

Jun 19, 2016
No issue battery on my phone - 6 + hours waiting time with screen off - 2% - off .....oreo 8.1.0 January security putch ....but I have a speaker bug .... randomly - the phone make a call sound for 2 second.....not metter what I do with my phone.

Last edited:

Waibashi

Dec 13, 2012
Montreal, QC
Anyone having issues with System taking al ot of battery? Also, all my Chromecast devices aren't being seen until like 15 minutes after I start my devices... it's really annoying. I called Google and they just told me I had to RMA my phone...but I feel they aren't even trying to fix my issue first.

Thoughts?

62% and I'm at 1h20 SoT with 3h20 hours since last charge.
System takes 40% of my battery usage.

wakers

Jan 17, 2010
www.rushcycles.co.uk
I've got issues too, frustratingly it's not every day, I'm going about 2 days with great battery life 7hrs plus sot, then day 3 really poor, I can feel the phone is hotter so something is keeping the processor working overtime I think, I'm not doing anything different on any day so beginning to think it could be a hardware rather than software issue (is this possible ?) Just tried killing apps as soon as you leave in the developer options see if that makes any difference, it's pretty frustrating.

wakers

Jan 17, 2010
www.rushcycles.co.uk
Battery saga continues for me, 2days no issues, all day yesterday no issue went most of the day with great standby time, used YouTube / played a few games nothing intensive, 50% battery drain in 1hour phone hot the entire time, is this possibly a hardware fault ? Or can a glitchy app cause that amount of drain. Very hot between the fingerprint scanner and the flash, guessing this is roughly where the processor is... Close to sending this back... :(

Prattham

Sep 6, 2013
New Delhi
Battery saga continues for me, 2days no issues, all day yesterday no issue went most of the day with great standby time, used YouTube / played a few games nothing intensive, 50% battery drain in 1hour phone hot the entire time, is this possibly a hardware fault ? Or can a glitchy app cause that amount of drain. Very hot between the fingerprint scanner and the flash, guessing this is roughly where the processor is... Close to sending this back... :(
It can be an app that can keep your processor stuck on max freq
Try in safe mode if it doesn't help return it

Sent from my Google Pixel 2 XL using XDA Labs

Gilley

Dec 2, 2012

I think its something in 8.1... Got my RMA and had first full day yesterday with it. First hour of SOT i was at 80% left, 2nd hour 66% and then by hour 3 of my SOT i was at 31% and if anything I was on it less between 2nd and 3rd hour and not on apps like Messenger etc that drain it. I am hoping Feb update fixes it.

wakers

Jan 17, 2010
www.rushcycles.co.uk
I think I've found my culprit and it's Facebook, not 100% sure yet because it's not been long enough, but ran it in safe mode last night with no issues watching YouTube which I suspected it was but pretty sure it's not now, so I put the phone back in to normal mode and removed Facebook and messenger apps and it's much better instantly, I'm using chrome to access Facebook now, it's better than when I had good days before... Fingers crossed...

Gilley

Dec 2, 2012
I think I've found my culprit and it's Facebook, not 100% sure yet because it's not been long enough, but ran it in safe mode last night with no issues watching YouTube which I suspected it was but pretty sure it's not now, so I put the phone back in to normal mode and removed Facebook and messenger apps and it's much better instantly, I'm using chrome to access Facebook now, it's better than when I had good days before... Fingers crossed...

Yeah I wish my friends would either download a different app to communicate through then Messenger. Only reason I have it really. Facebook I rarely go on anymore but its still on my phone just in case.

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
Sometimes I am not quite happy myself with how the battery perform,

I found with schedutil governor that implemented in pixel, user dont have enough freedom to adjust how the cpu react,

Thus, am trying to play with an interactive governor, and tweak it based on max and min load optimal calculation i used to used in my other phone,

I can say am quite happy with the result. Performances is great, no stutter and battery is very good as well

If any of you want to try it,

Simply download the EXKM profile from here : https://yadi.sk/d/b-EvWqTQ3S4dH9

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180203-235812.png
    Screenshot_20180203-235812.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 251
  • Screenshot_20180204-001100.jpg
    Screenshot_20180204-001100.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Screenshot_20180204-001113.jpg
    Screenshot_20180204-001113.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 244

MrBrady

Oct 26, 2010

I found with schedutil governor that implemented in pixel, user dont have enough freedom to adjust how the cpu react,

Thus, am trying to play with an interactive governor, and tweak it based on max and min load optimal calculation i used to used in my other phone,

I can say am quite happy with the result. Performances is great, no stutter and battery is very good as well

Does this go in ELEMENTALX/GOV_PROFILES?

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA

In my experience the Facebook app is better on battery than most other apps I've used. Especially Chrome. The Facebook app drains my battery at a rate of about 1% every 6 minutes. With Chrome it's about 1% every 4.5 minutes.

wakers

Jan 17, 2010
www.rushcycles.co.uk
It's defo not been the case for me, my phone was way better yesterday 4hrs screen on time 17hrs since charge and 48% battery left by the time I plugged it back in. It's gone from being the worst phone I've had for battery life to probably the best and all I've done is remove Facebook and messenger, maybe I had a bad install. I'll give it a few days and try again, but it's 100% been the culprit on my phone.

Thrillofit

Jan 19, 2018
Im feeling also mixed about this, I went from Iphone 7 to this and it feels like they are at the same level or maybe even worse. Im no sure but I have seen alot of pictures here and it seems like between 5-6 SOT is the limit before it dies.

Here is a picture of mine:

LNPJi1m.png

PG8E7Wi.png

We can clearly say that Snapchat is taking alot but that's nothing new I guess but what about Screen, IS that normal that it takes 31% for 5h 36min using of screen?

let me know what you guys think about my battery here!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Battery Issue after update resolved

I resolved the battery issue by changing the Google Play Services app Open By Default value from 'open in this app' to 'ask every time' and now my battery is back to it full potential!

I have no idea how or why this setting was changed, but my battery was near worthless after the 8.1 update. Under normal usage, the battery would be depleted after only 4-5 hrs which is nothing compared to the normal battery life I usually get (>24 hrs - 36 hrs).

Change this setting:
    Settings>Apps>All Apps>Google Play Services>Open By Default>Open supported links>Ask every time
    Does this go in ELEMENTALX/GOV_PROFILES?

Yes it is
    I had to remove Facebook and reinstall after the Feb update and it seems to have sorted my phone again, after I did it last time battery was great for about 2weeks had the Feb update and rubbish battery again not as bad as last time and phone wasn't getting as warm but still a 25% battery drop when I would normally have got maybe 10% drain so removed Facebook again and battery seems fine again. Seems to be the updates are causing Facebook to play up ?
    Unfortunately you cannot roll back to a previous release with the Pixel 2 or XL 2. I'm having pretty bad idle drain still work RCS as one of the main usages. I'm not what it actually is, except that it is system level processes. When I click on it through GSAM app, it opens up a bunch of system apps. Here's a screenshot of the list. I think it's a bad update (February release).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bJvzEOzHJXjvh5kf2

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    February update is definitely causing battery drain for a lot of people. Hopefully it gets resolved with the next update.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk