Google Pixel 2/XL 2 Indian Discussion Thread.

Search This thread

nishant786

Oct 19, 2010
Mumbai
With 2 weeks to go, the excitement is palpable. For stock Android fans this is the only option.
Indian fans, time to get discussing on the upcoming "designed by Google" beauty.

Introduction

Ask more of your phone! Welcome to the world of cohesiveness - software and hardware designed to work together.

Specifications

The Pixel 2 features a 5-inch Cinematic 127-mm full-HD (1080x1920) display, while the Pixel 2 XL features a 6-inch QHD+ (2880 x 1440) P-OLED at 538ppi with 18:9 ratio. Both the displays also come equipped with 3D Corning Gorilla Glass 5. Neither of the handsets have the 3.5mm headphone jack, so there is that you should keep in mind before you place the order. It wasn't immediately clear how soon customers in India will be able to place an order for either of the smartphones.

The Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC and 4GB of RAM. The handsets come in 64GB and 128GB storage variants. The Pixel 2 has a 2700mAh battery, while the Pixel 2 XL has a 3520mAh battery. On the photography front, the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL offer the industry-best camera sensors. Both the phones house a 12.2-megapixel rear camera with f/1.8 aperture and optical and electronic image stabilisation. The front facing 8-megapixel camera has an aperture of f/2.4.

Distinguishing features

Software

Google Pixel 2 ships with Android 8.0.0 Oreo, with a minimum of three years of OS and security updates promised. With Google Pixel, the company had introduced a new Pixel launcher and a host of other Pixel Exclusive features. This time around, Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL ship with a new Android launcher.

Google Assistant now with Google Lens

Google’s answer to Siri and Alexa is one of the Pixel’s biggest features. Google Assistant is even more advanced and capable; With a year of improvements it’s even more contextually aware to what’s happening on your devices and can tap into popular third-party apps like WhatsApp and OpenTable. The lens feature is completely mindblowing and worth the long wait - exclusive for Pixel owners for now!

Pixel Camera

Exceeds Expectations!
Camera is one of the fronts where Google has made significant improvements. Google’s Pixel 2 smartphone now includes optical image stabilisation and support for ‘bokeh’ feature among others. The 12.2MP rear camera comes with 1.4μm aperture size, autofocus with laser and dual pixel phase detection as well as f/1.8 aperture. Bokeh feature is mostly limited to dual camera phones, but Google says Pixel 2 takes advantage of advanced software to achieve bokeh-styled photos.

Google Pixel gets a 12.3 MP camera with f/2.0 aperture, and 1.55μm pixels. Other features include autofocus, phase detection autofocus, laser detection autofocus, and dual LED flash. The front camera in both Pixel and Pixel 2 is 8MP with 1.4μm pixels, and f/2.4 aperture.

Unlimited backups of photos and 4K videos at original quality

Pixel buyers get worry-free backup with Google Photos. All photos and videos (even 4K recordings) can be backed up — for free — with Google's cloud service. Full resolution backups are promised till 2020.

24/7 voice and chat support

If you’ve got a problem with either Pixel phone, you can head to the settings menu and immediately launch a voice call or chat session with Google’s customer support team. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. From there, you can also choose to allow screen sharing so that the Google employee can control your device and show you firsthand how to fix whatever's not working right.

What about India?

India is among the first wave of countries that the new Pixels will be available in. While the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL will be available from over 1,000 offline stores in the country, they will be exclusively available online via Flipkart. The smartphones will be up for pre-orders in India on October 26 - the former goes on sale on November 1 and the latter on November 15.

Prices

Pixel 2 (64GB) : Rs. 61,000
Pixel 2 XL (64GB) : Rs. 73,000
Pixel 2 (128GB) : Rs. 70,000
Pixel 2 XL (128GB) : Rs. 82,000

Last edited:

rkial

Nov 25, 2012
A little pricey.. but I cant wait for it.

Wonder if we'll be getting any freebies.. No mini here, as its not supported in India. Maybe they'll include a pair of USB-C headphones in the box which they arent doing in the US.

nishant786

Oct 19, 2010
Mumbai
A little pricey.. but I cant wait for it.

Wonder if we'll be getting any freebies.. No mini here, as its not supported in India. Maybe they'll include a pair of USB-C headphones in the box which they arent doing in the US.

Yeah well all phone companies have lost it as far as pricing is concerned. Im hoping atleast 10,000 cashback though. Especially because Pixel resale in India is abysmal.

blueren

Jan 4, 2011
Flipkart is a rip off when it comes to resale. It doesn't seem to care whether you have a pixel 64 or 125 gig version. I've noticed that its exchange quotes different prices for the same phone, while trying to buy different phones (Eg. Galaxy s8 vs s7) Cashify in fact offers way better selling price. Pixel 2 XL being 73k, I for one really need to get my current xl off first - but definitely not at some throwaway 10k.

Last edited:

rohit25

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi
Google Pixel 2 XL
Dual partition layout makes developing for it a huge pain. To a point that some have added it to things to avoid when getting a device. Also you lose things do to Google using a lot of closed Sourced system files on the device.

Would agree... Nexus was the love child and pixel is more like you remember t&c on condom packets stating 97% effectiveness... Well u r that 3% ....

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Yeah well all phone companies have lost it as far as pricing is concerned. Im hoping atleast 10,000 cashback though. Especially because Pixel resale in India is abysmal.

Which one are you going for 64 or 128 pixel 2 xl???

nishant786

Oct 19, 2010
Mumbai
Dual partition layout makes developing for it a huge pain. To a point that some have added it to things to avoid when getting a device. Also you lose things do to Google using a lot of closed Sourced system files on the device.

I don't see how long devs can avoid DP though. I have a feeling it would be standard on most phones in a couple of years - the benefits are too many for oems.
Ironically it was hailed by the dev community initially - claims of easy dual booting etc.

manishdev

Oct 30, 2011
Damn way too costly for regular users to buy either Pixel or IPhone. Not sure where are we heading too, from a 25k Nexus 4 to 80k phones..

nishant786

Oct 19, 2010
Mumbai
Damn way too costly for regular users to buy either Pixel or IPhone. Not sure where are we heading too, from a 25k Nexus 4 to 80k phones..
Manish although I agree that phone prices are getting preposterous. However i feel that it's unfair comparing the Pixel to the Nexus 4. The Pixel is on a higher level than the Nexus6/6p. The Nexus 4/5 although cheap, were cheap because of hardware compromises. Screens, cameras, builds were all in line with the price. With the Nexus 6 we started seeing actually flagship level hardware. Pixels are even higher because now they are trying to use the best hardware, best software and MOST IMPORTANT are spending a buttload on marketing. This last thing gives us nothing but is essential if Google has to continue making excellent iPhone level hardware.
In any case, I have seen some spectacular deals on last year's Pixel devices. And the new Pixels aren't a huge leap over last year's Pixels. Maybe try those? I promise they are worth it. :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using XDA-Developers Legacy app

rohit25

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi
Google Pixel 2 XL
The reviews are out... It being a all day battery... Awesome speakers and even awesome camera... The display is good.. but compare it to others and it would fail... Look at it individually and we good...
Must buy is all I heard and read...

rkial

Nov 25, 2012
Any idea when the display units will be in store?
I really want to see one in person

rkial

Nov 25, 2012
Not before end November.... Like last year and the year before that.... These phones don't ship before November end

The smaller one is shipping at the end of Oct. The 2 XL will go on sale on 15th Nov.
Pre orders start on 26th Oct.
And the Pixels last year went on sale in Oct too. I bought mine in Oct.

the 2XL is going on Sale in the UK on 15th Nov too, but they have had the demo units in stores for a few days now. We should be getting one pretty soon.

Reactions: rohit25

sarkar_007

Oct 16, 2011
Thane
I have been reading too many horror stories about the colour saturation and tint on the Pixel 2 XL screen. Unless we see the phone in person, it would be difficult to make a judgement. Not sure how much this issue will affect sales here in India.

Happy Diwali to everyone!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Forceing 8.1 OTA Update.

No 8.1 yet... Why... This discrimination... Is it because I said Padmawati

Follow this
    1. Go To Settings > Apps and Notifications > See All Apps
    2. Click the three dots in the top right corner and click Show System
    3. Scroll through the list of apps and click Google Services Framework
    4. Click Storage and Clear Data and Cache
    5. Click the back button and force Google Services Framework to stop
    6. Restart phone.
    7. Go to Settings>System>System Update>Check for Update

(Note: it may show no update at first, but a download prompt should come up after a second)
    Wait for the update to download (this may take awhile, so go ahead and do something else).
    Install the update and your phone will automatically restart.

Enjoy! and Hit the Tnanks meter if you liked.
    Just wanted to post my experience with B2X (a third party that handles the warranty for pixels in India).
    One fine day, my pixel 2xl restarted on itself while charging and to my horrors, it stopped charging after that. USB c to c stopped working but I was able to charge it via USB A to C. This was 2nd September. Amazingly, my mac's C to C charger worked. I first thought it was my brick and cable, but that was also working fine with other phones. I tried to wait and see if the OEM charger starts working, it did but intermittently. But then the next day it stopped again. I filed an RMA with the B2X.

Sep 3 - The rep guy used screenshare to see if my charger was working or not (I know it's extremely stupid, but I went with it). Surprisingly, he confirmed the problem and asked me for my location so that he could schedule a technician to visit my place and collect my phone.

Sep 4 - The technician came, he was very polite, explained me the process, took some photos of the device, gave me a loaner phone and went away with the phone.

Sep 10 - Received an email stating that they have replaced the PCB board, my device is repaired and is shipped back to Delhi. (Pixel's service factory is in Mumbai)

Sep 14 - The technician came home, delivered the device in a nice sealed box (direct from the factory), told me to open the box and check before signing. I did that and some more. Test the main functions and charging of course. Found the device in perfect condition.

A great experience from B2X.
    hey guys i have made an petition and wants everyone of you to sign this and if you have any suggestions please add them. This is our time and we should do something as this pixel 2 xl crisis is crossing its limit after recent price cut. Here is the link
    https://t.co/nNcXzoz49i?amp=1

Take Rs. 1000 from a 100 people (I'll pay if others do) and put an ad in TOI if you want to make a difference. All online petitions do is add useless data to the internet.
    Oh yeah sure!
    Blue tint is there..but not so bothering..waiting for the Nov ota
    For pics will share some from my Note 8;)
    Here are some picsView attachment 4331443View attachment 4331444 IMG-20171113-WA0005.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    isse achha to iPhone x le liya hota... showoff k kam to ata

Bhai given my age marriage proposal me kaam aata... Could have used it in def. Col.