FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Fix front speaker distortion in Pixel 2 XL (no root)

179 posts
Thanks Meter: 64

By RealCaracas, Senior Member on 14th March 2018, 11:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello my friends!!

I actually found a way to fix front speaker distortion without root.

1) Disable Google's MusixFx App (com.android.musicfx)
2) Install an equalizer app (In my case i used Equalizer FX. Pro Free version)
3) Open the app (if you haven't disabled yet Google's MusicFx app, it will told you to do so)
4) Depending on how is affected your speaker because the bad mounting (Google's fault) you will have to play lowering the frequencies. In my case I only needed to lower 910Hz to -7db
5) No more distortion!!!....

The only down side it's that you will get a less louder speaker, but 100% enjoyable sound!

I had to return 4 devices until I decided to find a way to "fix it" without rooting... I think Google was already trying to fix it because MusicFX app was updated in latest February update. Let's see if they officially release a fix. I think I will ask for RMA again anyway...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RealCaracas For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RealCaracas Ad-Free

16th March 2018, 01:37 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
I will try this! My RMA has the same distortion, especially during a video call. I was debating doing another RMA, but the screen seems good so I am not so pressed to do so. Thanks for the info!
17th March 2018, 04:49 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Madrid

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenickel9

I will try this! My RMA has the same distortion, especially during a video call. I was debating doing another RMA, but the screen seems good so I am not so pressed to do so. Thanks for the info!

Hello!!... It works... But sometimes the equalizer stops working and I have to uninstall and install again... Maybe someone could find a better Equalizer app.

I did also wrote Google about this... They told me to wait and to be patient ... Because they are working "day by day" to solve this issue... That I will receive a notification when the fix is ready... Let's see... If not I will have to do RMA again...
17th March 2018, 06:10 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCaracas

Hello!!... It works... But sometimes the equalizer stops working and I have to uninstall and install again... Maybe someone could find a better Equalizer app.

I did also wrote Google about this... They told me to wait and to be patient ... Because they are working "day by day" to solve this issue... That I will receive a notification when the fix is ready... Let's see... If not I will have to do RMA again...

Keep me posted please! I'm in the same boat, I was debating contacting them, but now I won't as I know I'll get the same canned message. The USB C adapter quality sucks too, I use an AuX cable in my VW and man distortion, no sound, feedback at times unsure if you guys have any issues there too?
17th March 2018, 06:27 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Madrid

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenickel9

Keep me posted please! I'm in the same boat, I was debating contacting them, but now I won't as I know I'll get the same canned message. The USB C adapter quality sucks too, I use an AuX cable in my VW and man distortion, no sound, feedback at times unsure if you guys have any issues there too?

I have used the USB C adapter with headphones without problem (for now at least)...

If I receive any message from Google I'll update this post.
The Following User Says Thank You to RealCaracas For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RealCaracas Ad-Free
23rd April 2018, 11:06 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
This doesn't fix the distortion for calls on speakerphone. Any idea how to achieve that without root?
23rd April 2018, 06:56 PM |#7  
Flag Bengaluru
Thanks Meter: 318

More
The only thing I'm doing to keep the distortion at bay is by pushing the speaker grills slightly every now and then with my nails. That seems to be working. Nonetheless, these speaker combination is still better than bottom speakers. I'm enjoying way more content than I used to with my OnePlus 3T. Myy wife's OnePlus 5T speakers are louder, but still this one experiences better for me. I hope Google made them right !! But what can we do, they took a greedy mofo for CEO.
12th June 2018, 02:36 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCaracas

Hello my friends!!

I actually found a way to fix front speaker distortion without root.

1) Disable Google's MusixFx App (com.android.musicfx)
2) Install an equalizer app (In my case i used Equalizer FX. Pro Free version)
3) Open the app (if you haven't disabled yet Google's MusicFx app, it will told you to do so)
4) Depending on how is affected your speaker because the bad mounting (Google's fault) you will have to play lowering the frequencies. In my case I only needed to lower 910Hz to -7db
5) No more distortion!!!....

The only down side it's that you will get a less louder speaker, but 100% enjoyable sound!

I had to return 4 devices until I decided to find a way to "fix it" without rooting... I think Google was already trying to fix it because MusicFX app was updated in latest February update. Let's see if they officially release a fix. I think I will ask for RMA again anyway...

This is the solution please dude try to share it with others that they dont know how to fix it. thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to jounes For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jounes Ad-Free
30th November 2018, 01:46 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
works for pixel 3 as well
Thanks for the solution. It works for pixel 3 as well!
5th January 2019, 11:11 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
the best post I've seen, I had not noticed until I made the change although I notice it even if I disable the google one thanksss (You can also increase the volume from the same application and the result is maintained)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
distortion issue, speaker distortion

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)