Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

(WIP) Magisk/Root installation

531 posts
Thanks Meter: 340

By skaforey, Senior Member on 23rd October 2017, 09:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So this morning, we finally got our hands on some factory images. That is the good news. The bad news is that so far I am unable to get Magisk to work. Anyone else get it to work yet?

Here is what I have done:
1) Download the latest (5.4) magisk manager apk [Thread | Direct Link]
2) Set the update channel to both stable (14.0) and beta (14.3)
3) Choose install from stock boot img (with and without keep dm-verity and force encryption)
4) Copy the patched boot img from your phone:
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img .
4) Flash the modified boot.img in fastboot
Code:
fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
Results:
1) With 14.0, the system boots up fine, but magisk isn't installed
2) With 14.3, I get bootloops, and have to reflash the stock boot.img in order to get it to boot.

Might be worth noting that the patched boot img is significantly smaller than the original one (about 25mb vs 40mb)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to skaforey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skaforey Ad-Free

23rd October 2017, 09:37 PM |#2  
Kansas
Thanks Meter: 84

More
I tried the same thing with 14.3 only and it says it patches the boot.img that I pulled from the image. I then reboot and I am not rooted. Is there suppose to be an option to patch the second slot?
23rd October 2017, 09:43 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego, CA

More
Once you patch the stock boot.img it should tell you where it placed the patched img. For me it was /sdcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img

You need to pull that img file, reboot to bootloader and fastboot flash that.
The Following User Says Thank You to skaforey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skaforey Ad-Free
23rd October 2017, 09:49 PM |#4  
Kansas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaforey

Once you patch the stock boot.img it should tell you where it placed the patched img. For me it was /sdcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img

You need to pull that img file, reboot to bootloader and fastboot flash that.

Ok, I see you have to manually apply the patched boot img. This is my first Pixel, came from a 6P where I just used twrp to install magisk. Guess we need to wait for a newer Magisk.
23rd October 2017, 09:52 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetrooper

Ok, I see you have to manually apply the patched boot img. This is my first Pixel, came from a 6P where I just used twrp to install magisk. Guess we need to wait for a newer Magisk.

Can you try flashing the patched boot.img? If you get into a bootloop, simply hold power and volume down to get back into bootloader mode and reflash the stock boot img
23rd October 2017, 09:55 PM |#6  
Kansas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaforey

Can you try flashing the patched boot.img? If you get into a bootloop, simply hold power and volume down to get back into bootloader mode and reflash the stock boot img

My PC is at home, will have to try later tonight. I suspect that it will boot loop like yours, since the patched img is only 25 megs and the original was 40.
23rd October 2017, 10:08 PM |#7  
Flag GMT -5
Thanks Meter: 69

More
Try the app One Click Auto Brick. 🤔
23rd October 2017, 10:10 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I tried it and it did the same bootlooping you described.
23rd October 2017, 10:14 PM |#9  
Flag FL
Thanks Meter: 3,360

Donate to Me
More
Were you guys able to flash the factory image and get it to boot past the google screen?
23rd October 2017, 10:21 PM |#10  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 121

Donate to Me
More
I've been through the same process. I manually flashed the patched_boot.img and got stuck in a bootloop. Had to flash the factory boot to get back up and going. @topjohnwu do you have any insight on this?
The Following User Says Thank You to northmendo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift northmendo Ad-Free
24th October 2017, 01:19 AM |#11  
Boise
Thanks Meter: 138

Donate to Me
More
Just wondering, have you run
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock_critical
? Just saw it in this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...29&postcount=6
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
magisk root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)