Pixel 2 XL setup for dual carriers using fi on eSIM

Search This thread

radionerd

Dec 14, 2013
Ukiah
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 4 XL
One of my favorite of the many cool features in Pixel 2's is the addition of an eSIM. 100% love everything about this device: Pixel 2 XL Running beta 8.1, rooted, and dual SIM's!
Anyone else rocking dual SIM's? or using FiSwitch, or other apps to switch between SIM's?

I'm running a Verizon physical SIM (Work's unlimited plan) and joined my family's fi account using the Pixel 2 XL's eSIM for a whopping $25.
fi was easy to setup on their web site. The Wife and Kid were already sharing 2 gigs data. They occasionally would go over 2 gigs, fi automatically adds data @ $10 per gig, and credits back unused leftovers above base.
The base Plan is $30, add additional members @ $25 each. My plan for three devices is $80 total, with 3Gigs of data to share. We are all on WiFi most of the time. When we travel together, I usually turn on Verizon hotspot to save on fi data.

At work I roam around into some iffy network locations, some almost daily, where I lose Verizon service. I stay on Verizon until I go into one of the Verizon dead spots. Then I can switch to the fi eSIM, which usually finds service between one of the three fi carriers in my area. If I travel abroad I'm all set, just tap the screen a few times and jump onto the fi eSIM. It only takes about 20 seconds for the network to switch between the SIM's.
I use Signal messaging, so all of text messages come through on either SIM.

I use a very cool app FiSwitch by XDA forum member @dwitherell to change carriers within the Fi network, and soon it will have a shortcut to switch SIM's.
The persistent notification tile can show lots of nerdy network info. FiSwitch creator @dwitherell is rocking a Pixel 2 XP too. He is planning to add a shortcut to the carrier SIM switch on the next update to FiSwitch. This will make it very easy to switch from SIM to eSIM within his App :)
Attached are some thumbnails of Pixel2's Dual SIM screens and fiSwitch in action.
FiSwitch Notifications
Screenshot_20171118-150848.jpg

FiSwitch Tiles
Screenshot_20171118-150959.png

Carrier screen
Screenshot_20171114-092737.png

Switch Carriers (SIM)
Screenshot_20171114-092717.png

Screenshot_20171113-095248.png Screenshot_20171118-151039.png Screenshot_20171118-151143.png Screenshot_20171118-151147.jpg

I hope other will post there setups, and if they use FiSwitch or one of the the other switching apps.

If you know someone that's already on Fi, you might consider asking them for a referral. Then you and your friend can each get a $20 credit after the first month. That's better than a poke in the eye ;)

Last edited:

Quie2TP

Sep 12, 2009
Kansas
Wow, so I didn't even think that the e-sim in this phone would act as a dual SIM set up. That's awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: radionerd

silesraf

Apr 14, 2017
I have a nexus 6p running project fi,
Now since I bought the Pixel XL 2 off Google store.

Can I activate dual carriers like OP, but also get calls on my Nexus 6P?

Right now I use Verizon on the 2XL and Fi with Call forwarding so both phones ring at the same time.

I also use the Nexus for International calls. I think I would have to activate another number to keep my 6P running Fi. Then have dual SIM on the 2XL and turn off call forwarding.

Understand my Concern??

whezzel

Mar 26, 2010

Right now I use Verizon on the 2XL and Fi with Call forwarding so both phones ring at the same time.

I also use the Nexus for International calls. I think I would have to activate another number to keep my 6P running Fi. Then have dual SIM on the 2XL and turn off call forwarding.

Understand my Concern?

You would need a data only sim for the N6p. This can be ordered for free through the Project Fi app on your phone, under 'Manage Plan'. It shares the data plan with you main device (Pixel 2 XL) so no complicated bill. On your Pixel 2 XL, open the Google Hangouts app settings. Under 'Account' select the account associated with you Project Fi account. Look for 'Messages' under 'Project Fi calls and SMS', and toggle that On. This will let you send and receive SMS/MMS from any device that is logged into Hangouts with your account, even your PC, and you main device can be turned off.

When the data-only sim arrives, activate it and put it in your N6p. Install the Google Hangouts and Google Hangouts Dialer apps. Now you can send and receive SMS/MMS through Hangouts. To receive calls go to Hangouts settings, under 'Account' select the account associated with you Project Fi account. Look for "Incoming phone calls" and toggle that to on. If this is missing just back out of the Hangouts app, then open back to the same settings screen, it should be there now. Now you can receive calls on you N6p. To place calls, open the Hangouts Dialer. Now you can send/receive calls/SMS/MMS on you N6p while your Pixel 2 XL functions like normal. Now both phones will ring and notify when you get a call or text message.

I am currently running this setup on my N6p with 8.1 Develop Preview 1 and Pixel 2 XL 8.0 Nov update.

EDIT: I just pulled the data only sim card out of my N6p and this worked over wifi. I assume this would work for any available data connection, but I've only been able to test with a Projec Fi data only sim, and wifi.

Last edited:

dwitherell

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2011
@radionerd thanks for the shout out :)

While this is fringe on-topic at best, for any that use my little tinkering project (FiSwitch) feel free to hit me up with suggestions/issues/etc. - there are limited feedback channels for this so I'm always happy to see a new one spring up!

Also - a big thanks to @radionerd for suggesting the creation of those mobile network settings and esim manager shortcuts!

whezzel

Mar 26, 2010
This is great. I have a question. I have my work number as a project fi (Currently using on a different phone). Can I activate it with my pixel 2 xl along side t-mobile, and receive calls from both without having to activate and de-activate?

I cant confirm this, because I dont have a sim card from a different carrier to test, but if you activate Project Fi on your Pixel 2 with eSIM, configure project fi to share your messages and calls with hangouts (see a couple posts up), then you should be able to switch back to Tmobile as you primary sim card.

This SHOULD allow you to send/receive Project Fi calls/text through Google Hangouts/Hangouts Dialer over Tmobile data connection, and send/receive, Tmobile calls/texts through standard messaging app and dialer app.

If you're willing, please give this a try and report back. I'd like to know if this works (the way i think it should) before signing up for another data plan.

Quie2TP

Sep 12, 2009
Kansas
This is great. I have a question. I have my work number as a project fi (Currently using on a different phone). Can I activate it with my pixel 2 xl along side t-mobile, and receive calls from both without having to activate and de-activate?
You know, this is a little off subject. But you could use Google voice for your work number and it's free. Currently I use Google voice for work and then my carrier number is my personal number.

I use an app called voice choice 2.0 that give me the option to choose which number to dial with. I can set up area codes, specific contacts, or a group to dial with each number. Works great.

I'm just looking at this app and project fi for coverage where TMobile doesn't roam on Sprint.

matteosaeed

I cant confirm this, because I dont have a sim card from a different carrier to test, but if you activate Project Fi on your Pixel 2 with eSIM, configure project fi to share your messages and calls with hangouts (see a couple posts up), then you should be able to switch back to Tmobile as you primary sim card.

This SHOULD allow you to send/receive Project Fi calls/text through Google Hangouts/Hangouts Dialer over Tmobile data connection, and send/receive, Tmobile calls/texts through standard messaging app and dialer app.

If you're willing, please give this a try and report back. I'd like to know if this works (the way i think it should) before signing up for another data plan.

Actually this is what I am doing right at the moment. I can do calls and texts over the "hangouts" app without using the hangouts dialer "unlike using the google voice". The only thing about it is, it is not as reliable when someone calls in because sometimes the app goes to sleep etc. I'll probably play with it and see.

THEbigSWEEN

Mar 5, 2012
@matteosaeed My setup is I have Fi esim then a T Moblile sim. I have Fi calls and texts forwarded to the T Mobile number. The only time there is kinda an issue is with MMS I have to switch back to the esim for the message / attachment to download correctly. Other than that I just stay on the physical T Mobile sim and all calls and texts arrive like normal for both numbers. Switching between the sim and esim takes like 10 seconds, so the MMS thing is hardly an issue. Super convenient.

Edit: Also just as an FYI I've noticed if someone texts your Fi number while you're on the T Mobile sim and you respond to that forwarded message it'll show that you're texting from the Fi number. If you're on the T Mobile sim and send a new message then it'll show as sent from the T Mobile number.

Last edited:

whezzel

Mar 26, 2010
Actually this is what I am doing right at the moment. I can do calls and texts over the "hangouts" app without using the hangouts dialer "unlike using the google voice". The only thing about it is, it is not as reliable when someone calls in because sometimes the app goes to sleep etc. I'll probably play with it and see.

You could try enabling unrestricted background data and disable battery optimization for Hangouts. This might use a little more battery but should keep the app awake in the background.

Last edited:

silesraf

Apr 14, 2017
I'm the one with the Pixel 2XL and Nexus 6p, I have a Pixel XL but I gave that to my wife and I like the 2 front speakers. :)

When I disabled Project Fi on my New 2XL I went and got myself a Verizon Nano Sim Chip. Which means I can still use Hangouts on my phone send SMS and when I get calls in I have Call forwarding it works great. I really don't worry about incoming calls.

I like having Unlimited Data, and when I travel I like to have the best Data connection as possible.

So as of now how do I install Fi Switch App?

Do I Enable and reinstall/update Project Fi and then activate my ESIM Fi account.

install Fi Switch to go by about testing which is the Fastest Data Network Speeds play around with that option or do I order a data nano SIM like OP stated?

radionerd

Dec 14, 2013
Ukiah
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 4 XL
Would I be able to use for esim for talk and text and Verizon soon love nano SIM for data?

If you are getting a Verizon data SIM, I recommend the Verizon MiFi 7730L Jetpack. You could run it standalone as a hotspot. I run a MiFi 7730L 24/7 hooked via USB to a cheap Mikrotik router, use the routers Ethernet ports for wired devices and high power hotspot.

On my dual SIM setup I forward the fi number to Verizon, since Verizon is my primary service. I only switch off of Verizon when out of range, or sucky data.
I use Signal Messaging app for all text messaging, it doesn't care what phone number, or service is active it will receive and forward all SMS messages through any carrier, WiFi even with no SIM at all.

To switch SIM's you just go into the network Carrier settings and select which SIM you want to use, one at a time.
FiSwitch app soon will be adding a shortcut to the eSIM Manager, one click to change between SIM's.
eSIM Manager
Screenshot_20171115-143752.png

radionerd

Dec 14, 2013
Ukiah
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 4 XL
I'm the one with the Pixel 2XL and Nexus 6p, I have a Pixel XL but I gave that to my wife and I like the 2 front speakers. :)

When I disabled Project Fi on my New 2XL I went and got myself a Verizon Nano Sim Chip. Which means I can still use Hangouts on my phone send SMS and when I get calls in I have Call forwarding it works great. I really don't worry about incoming calls.

I like having Unlimited Data, and when I travel I like to have the best Data connection as possible.

So as of now how do I install Fi Switch App?

Do I Enable and reinstall/update Project Fi and then activate my ESIM Fi account.

install Fi Switch to go by about testing which is the Fastest Data Network Speeds play around with that option or do I order a data nano SIM like OP stated?

Yes,
You can activate your eSIM from the fi Project App, or fi web interface. It's real easy, just click though... select the Pixel 2 or 2XL and it will prompt for eSIM or physical SIM. I ported my free google voice number to fi in about 30 seconds.
I recommend the FiSwitch app, but it's not required. You can change Sim's from the Network Carrier settings screen. FiSwitch will soon have a shortcut to the eSIM Manager, then it will only be two touches of the screen to switch SIM's. :good:

silesraf

Apr 14, 2017
You would need a data only sim for the N6p. This can be ordered for free through the Project Fi app on your phone, under 'Manage Plan'. It shares the data plan with you main device (Pixel 2 XL) so no complicated bill. On your Pixel 2 XL, open the Google Hangouts app settings. Under 'Account' select the account associated with you Project Fi account. Look for 'Messages' under 'Project Fi calls and SMS', and toggle that On. This will let you send and receive SMS/MMS from any device that is logged into Hangouts with your account, even your PC, and you main device can be turned off.

When the data-only sim arrives, activate it and put it in your N6p. Install the Google Hangouts and Google Hangouts Dialer apps. Now you can send and receive SMS/MMS through Hangouts. To receive calls go to Hangouts settings, under 'Account' select the account associated with you Project Fi account. Look for "Incoming phone calls" and toggle that to on. If this is missing just back out of the Hangouts app, then open back to the same settings screen, it should be there now. Now you can receive calls on you N6p. To place calls, open the Hangouts Dialer. Now you can send/receive calls/SMS/MMS on you N6p while your Pixel 2 XL functions like normal. Now both phones will ring and notify when you get a call or text message.

I am currently running this setup on my N6p with 8.1 Develop Preview 1 and Pixel 2 XL 8.0 Nov update.

EDIT: I just pulled the data only sim card out of my N6p and this worked over wifi. I assume this would work for any available data connection, but I've only been able to test with a Project Fi data only sim, and wifi.

I have 1/2 way activated my pixel 2xl but says if I go through my primary device will be Pixel 2XL, I downloaded the Fi Switch too, I just don't want to kill my Nexus 6P Nano SIM card, then what refresh to factory stock and re-activate the Nexus 6P if I don't like what I see.

Also I don't see where to order a Data Only SIM, in my PFi app, it says ( add person )15$ and invite them to your plan 10/GB share data.... Is that what you're talking about?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @radionerd thanks for the shout out :)

While this is fringe on-topic at best, for any that use my little tinkering project (FiSwitch) feel free to hit me up with suggestions/issues/etc. - there are limited feedback channels for this so I'm always happy to see a new one spring up!

Also - a big thanks to @radionerd for suggesting the creation of those mobile network settings and esim manager shortcuts!
    One of my favorite of the many cool features in Pixel 2's is the addition of an eSIM. 100% love everything about this device: Pixel 2 XL Running beta 8.1, rooted, and dual SIM's!
    Anyone else rocking dual SIM's? or using FiSwitch, or other apps to switch between SIM's?

I'm running a Verizon physical SIM (Work's unlimited plan) and joined my family's fi account using the Pixel 2 XL's eSIM for a whopping $25.
    fi was easy to setup on their web site. The Wife and Kid were already sharing 2 gigs data. They occasionally would go over 2 gigs, fi automatically adds data @ $10 per gig, and credits back unused leftovers above base.
    The base Plan is $30, add additional members @ $25 each. My plan for three devices is $80 total, with 3Gigs of data to share. We are all on WiFi most of the time. When we travel together, I usually turn on Verizon hotspot to save on fi data.

At work I roam around into some iffy network locations, some almost daily, where I lose Verizon service. I stay on Verizon until I go into one of the Verizon dead spots. Then I can switch to the fi eSIM, which usually finds service between one of the three fi carriers in my area. If I travel abroad I'm all set, just tap the screen a few times and jump onto the fi eSIM. It only takes about 20 seconds for the network to switch between the SIM's.
    I use Signal messaging, so all of text messages come through on either SIM.

I use a very cool app FiSwitch by XDA forum member @dwitherell to change carriers within the Fi network, and soon it will have a shortcut to switch SIM's.
    The persistent notification tile can show lots of nerdy network info. FiSwitch creator @dwitherell is rocking a Pixel 2 XP too. He is planning to add a shortcut to the carrier SIM switch on the next update to FiSwitch. This will make it very easy to switch from SIM to eSIM within his App :)
    Attached are some thumbnails of Pixel2's Dual SIM screens and fiSwitch in action.
    FiSwitch Notifications
    Screenshot_20171118-150848.jpg

FiSwitch Tiles
    Screenshot_20171118-150959.png

Carrier screen
    Screenshot_20171114-092737.png

Switch Carriers (SIM)
    Screenshot_20171114-092717.png

Screenshot_20171113-095248.png Screenshot_20171118-151039.png Screenshot_20171118-151143.png Screenshot_20171118-151147.jpg

I hope other will post there setups, and if they use FiSwitch or one of the the other switching apps.

If you know someone that's already on Fi, you might consider asking them for a referral. Then you and your friend can each get a $20 credit after the first month. That's better than a poke in the eye ;)

I have 1/2 way activated my pixel 2xl but says if I go through my primary device will be Pixel 2XL, I downloaded the Fi Switch too, I just don't want to kill my Nexus 6P Nano SIM card, then what refresh to factory stock and re-activate the Nexus 6P if I don't like what I see.

Also I don't see where to order a Data Only SIM, in my PFi app, it says ( add person )15$ and invite them to your plan 10/GB share data.... Is that what you're talking about?

If you don't like what you see then all you have to do is open the Fi app on your N6p. It will re-activate you N6p as the primary device and deactivate the Pixel 2.

If the data only sim option isn't showing in the Fi app, then go to https://fi.google.com/account#plan and click add data-only sim. This should take you through the process of ordering a data only sim. There is no added cost for a data-only sim.

Understand my Concern?

EDIT: I just pulled the data only sim card out of my N6p and this worked over wifi. I assume this would work for any available data connection, but I've only been able to test with a Projec Fi data only sim, and wifi.