FORUMS

Wired Ethernet Speeds

215 posts
Thanks Meter: 89

By Yadao, Senior Member on 8th November 2017, 08:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Just thought I'd share the results of a little experimenting I did...

So I'm lucky enough to have a symmetrical gigabit internet connection at home. Here is the results of plugging in a USB-C to Ethernet adapter into my Pixel 2 XL. (This did not work on the first gen XL for me).

As you can see the phone does very well in a speed test. The same speeds I get on my $1,500 gaming rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171107-124915.jpg
Views:	1836
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	4327058  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yadao For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Yadao Ad-Free
9th November 2017, 08:19 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
This is amazing!
But then, you don't need a gaming rig to reach the max speed in gigabit benchmarks. The 200$ low-end Celeron laptops achieve literally the same.
9th November 2017, 11:12 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 282

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadao

Just thought I'd share the results of a little experimenting I did...

So I'm lucky enough to have a symmetrical gigabit internet connection at home. Here is the results of plugging in a USB-C to Ethernet adapter into my Pixel 2 XL. (This did not work on the first gen XL for me).

As you can see the phone does very well in a speed test. The same speeds I get on my $1,500 gaming rig.

You don't mind sharing which adapter you used? Would like to try this. Thank you!
9th November 2017, 01:58 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike33

You don't mind sharing which adapter you used? Would like to try this. Thank you!

The exact one seems to be unavailable: Belinda USB-C to Ethernet Adapter for USB Type-C Devices Including the new MacBook, ChromeBook Pixel and More (Silver Aluminum) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018XV6JI4..._N6fbAbX0N9261

I'm sure any other one would work fine as long as it's rated gigabit.
2nd December 2017, 01:46 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 282

More
Quote:

The exact one seems to be unavailable: Belinda USB-C to Ethernet Adapter for USB Type-C Devices Including the new MacBook, ChromeBook Pixel and More (Silver Aluminum) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018XV6JI4..._N6fbAbX0N9261

I got the adapter but when I plugged it in to my phone it didn't work. Is there anything I need to do on my phone to get it to recognize the Ethernet?
2nd December 2017, 04:42 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
USA

More
Try turning off WiFi or use airplane mode
The Following User Says Thank You to Yadao For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Yadao Ad-Free
28th January 2018, 02:19 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 168

More
Quote:

Hi, have you tried lately? I just got the Plugable USBC-E1000, and while on my Razer Blade Stealth on Windows 10 I'm getting 952 Mbps down and 696 Mbps up on a 1Gb internet connection, on my Pixel 2 XL I'm only getting about max 160 Mbps down and up like 130 Mbps. Tried multiple times, different servers and it's always the same. I'm on stock 8.1 January build.
28th January 2018, 05:28 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy o

Hi, have you tried lately? I just got the Plugable USBC-E1000, and while on my Razer Blade Stealth on Windows 10 I'm getting 952 Mbps down and 696 Mbps up on a 1Gb internet connection, on my Pixel 2 XL I'm only getting about max 160 Mbps down and up like 130 Mbps. Tried multiple times, different servers and it's always the same. I'm on stock 8.1 January build.

Maybe it's still using Wi-Fi. Try turning on airplane mode then plugging in your adapter. It may take some time to recognize the Ethernet. You will see an icon in the notification bar when it does that looks like this: <--->
28th January 2018, 09:53 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 168

More
Quote:

Maybe it's still using Wi-Fi. Try turning on airplane mode then plugging in your adapter. It may take some time to recognize the Ethernet. You will see an icon in the notification bar when it does that looks like this: <--->

Ah yeah, I did all that. WiFi actually is limited by the 2x2 AC router, it gives me a bit more than 300 Mbps down. Just wanted to know if you could confirm 900+ Mbps on the January build, cause I might need to return this adapter if there's another one (presumably with another chipset) that works at actual Gb speeds.

But also, I've never gotten anything resembling USB 3 speeds through this port either, so it could be the phone or Android.
30th January 2018, 07:10 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy o

Ah yeah, I did all that. WiFi actually is limited by the 2x2 AC router, it gives me a bit more than 300 Mbps down. Just wanted to know if you could confirm 900+ Mbps on the January build, cause I might need to return this adapter if there's another one (presumably with another chipset) that works at actual Gb speeds.

But also, I've never gotten anything resembling USB 3 speeds through this port either, so it could be the phone or Android.

I've used it recently and was in the mid 900s on both up and down. I'd guess it's the adapter.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)