[APP] GCam Tool - stops front camera mirroring, moves portrait photos automatically

Search This thread

Apptuners

Jun 15, 2011
Trivandrum
apptuners.com
GCam Tool's primary purpose was to move portrait mode burst photos from their own sub-folders to the main gallery, keeping whichever photos the user wants (background blurred or non-blurred) while discarding the rest. Since then, I have been getting mails from users who wanted the app to move not just portrait mode but even normal photos.

With GCam Tool 2.0, all photos (even panorama and photosphere) are moved automatically in the background. If you want to save portrait mode photos into a different folder, this must be the easiest way.

Another request I got was regarding the way Google Camera took selfies. Most OEM camera apps give you the option to save the front camera image just like you see in camera preview. Strangely Google Camera doesn't allow this and always saves the image flipped. With v2.0, GCam Tool can now detect front camera photos and prevent it from being flipped.

I must give the disclaimer that this is an experimental feature. Google doesn't provide any sort of API for developers to detect whether a photo was taken with front or back camera. I had to come up with my own method of detecting that. I tested on S8+, OnePlus 3 and Redmi Note 4 and it worked fine. If this feature fails on your phone, please let me know the device model as well as the Android version.

Please try the app and let me know your feedback. If you like it, please take a moment to rate and review on Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apptuners.gcamtool

failax

Oct 2, 2010
Selfie picture is flipped to get right perspective, even xperia devices do this.The problem is that you shot something different from what you see in the display preview.You can easily adjust the picture with apps like snapseed or others.

Mohdmks

Jan 3, 2013
Very good app.. Upgraded to Pro but the app is crashing when i try to do batch move

pacman photog

Nov 5, 2014
i see an issue after the app is enabled, the portrait photos do not appear in the camera app when slide to photo gallery from inside the camera app,
can this be fixed?

Apptuners

Jun 15, 2011
Trivandrum
apptuners.com
i see an issue after the app is enabled, the portrait photos do not appear in the camera app when slide to photo gallery from inside the camera app,
can this be fixed?

Unfortunately I couldn't figure it out yet. After moving photos, the app calls Mediascan service which should inform the OS about new images and as such it must appear in the camera slide to photo gallery. But somehow that is not working.

gigatex

Apr 7, 2013
Asus Zenfone 9
Hey! I saw the flip prevention feature and bought pro immediately to try it out, sadly it didn't work and after I restarted my device the checkbox disappeared from the settings page. I'm using a Pixel 2 XL on 8.1 April update.

EDIT: There's no disappearing checkbox bug, that was just me.

Last edited:

Apptuners

Jun 15, 2011
Trivandrum
apptuners.com
Does this affect the backup of photos?

Sent from my Google Pixel 2 XL using XDA Labs

It shouldn't affect if you have set the target folder to sync with Google Photos

Hey! I saw the flip prevention feature and bought pro immediately to try it out, sadly it didn't work and after I restarted my device the checkbox dissapeared from the settings page. I'm using a Pixel 2 XL on 8.1 April update.

That's strange. I will PM you now.

Prattham

Sep 6, 2013
New Delhi
It shouldn't affect if you have set the target folder to sync with Google Photos

That's strange. I will PM you now.
Updated to the latest updated and i have enabled all options and still it isn't that stable or works 100% correctly
Sometimes it doesn't shows the normal photo of the portrait mode one and sometimes the portrait mode photo isn't visible and is grey

Apptuners

Jun 15, 2011
Trivandrum
apptuners.com
Updated to the latest updated and i have enabled all options and still it isn't that stable or works 100% correctly
Sometimes it doesn't shows the normal photo of the portrait mode one and sometimes the portrait mode photo isn't visible and is grey

I am assuming you are talking about gallery that you see when you slide to right inside Google Camera. Even though all files are moved correctly in the background, that gallery has some issue with refreshing thumbnails. The app even calls mediascan after moving files, which should have fixed the issue. But that gallery app still won't refresh.

Third party gallery apps do not seem to have this issue.

Prattham

Sep 6, 2013
New Delhi
I am assuming you are talking about gallery that you see when you slide to right inside Google Camera. Even though all files are moved correctly in the background, that gallery has some issue with refreshing thumbnails. The app even calls mediascan after moving files, which should have fixed the issue. But that gallery app still won't refresh.

Third party gallery apps do not seem to have this issue.
I was talking about Google photos
I haven't checked with 3rd party gallery apps but i really appreciate your work for this app
Cheers ?

kush621

Feb 23, 2010
thank you @Apptuners, this is exactly what I've wanted with this phone since the day I got it. God I hate those sub folders when taking portrait pics.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GCam Tool's primary purpose was to move portrait mode burst photos from their own sub-folders to the main gallery, keeping whichever photos the user wants (background blurred or non-blurred) while discarding the rest. Since then, I have been getting mails from users who wanted the app to move not just portrait mode but even normal photos.

With GCam Tool 2.0, all photos (even panorama and photosphere) are moved automatically in the background. If you want to save portrait mode photos into a different folder, this must be the easiest way.

Another request I got was regarding the way Google Camera took selfies. Most OEM camera apps give you the option to save the front camera image just like you see in camera preview. Strangely Google Camera doesn't allow this and always saves the image flipped. With v2.0, GCam Tool can now detect front camera photos and prevent it from being flipped.

I must give the disclaimer that this is an experimental feature. Google doesn't provide any sort of API for developers to detect whether a photo was taken with front or back camera. I had to come up with my own method of detecting that. I tested on S8+, OnePlus 3 and Redmi Note 4 and it worked fine. If this feature fails on your phone, please let me know the device model as well as the Android version.

Please try the app and let me know your feedback. If you like it, please take a moment to rate and review on Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apptuners.gcamtool
    Update

Nine hours after posting on Reddit, I was contacted by Google Play team. They have agreed to reinstate the app with only change - the app icon. I have been permitted to retain both the app name and package name, which means GCam Tool is back on track.
    I will support you again if there is no other solution for you :D
    had a tasker profile for that but tried your app. like it and upgraded to pro?
    Working great thanks ?