FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Get pixel 3 / 3 xl exclusive camera features on pixel 2 / 2xl..

1,091 posts
Thanks Meter: 952

By showlyshah, Senior Member on 13th October 2018, 04:08 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Some great mind ( or is it me ?) once said ... " If its a software.. then there will definitely be a hack " ...

Pixel 3 xl may haven't shipped yet.. but software bits like pixel 3 xl launcher, wall paper, etc are out.. and with that came out its amazing camera apk...

So why not run it on pixel 2/ 2 xl.. yey.. it did run.. and most of you have already installed it.. right? Beautiful ui.. ( iphone.. we literally dont want to copy your ui.. but ... ) And then raw + jpg support..

But.. we did miss that extra things .. right? Those software bits.. which google added to the cam .. exclusively for pixel 3..

Me too...

And lil disappointed.. so i give it a try.. nothing to loose ??

And guess what.. the app showed up with all those "hidden" features..

Dont belive.. take a look at ss from my pixel 2 xl

so all you have to do is...

1. using a root file explorer, edit build.prop form system folder ( not vendor folder)
a) ro . product . model=Pixel 3 XL
b) ro . product . name=crosshatch
c) ro . product . device=crosshatch

use "blueline" and "Pixel 3" .. if you want to keep your device as smaller Pixel 3

2. reboot , now your phone model will be pixel 3 xl / pixel 3

3. install the pixel 3 camera apk mentioned in this link https://www.xda-developers.com/googl...-apk-download/

4. enjoy your new camera

NB:- this is a proof of concept hack, which i managed to get from a 10 min digging on last day's sleepless night.

NB :- to make portrait mode to work, first swich to front camera ( using camera switching icon) and then switch portrait mode from there. quick test gave me result that all ( or most) features are working, except the bug in switching directly to portrait mode fc the camera app( since we dont have two sensors for front camera. ), colour pop and depth adjustments work, h.265 encoding works , if you find something wont work, report. so that we can fix it hopefully.

I didn't check the rest, nor camera quality, nor anything else.. i am not that much into code writing or things.. may be some of you can pull out more..

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181013-044731.jpg
Views:	20414
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	4617738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181013-044803.jpg
Views:	20750
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	4617739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181013-044817.png
Views:	20218
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	4617740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181013-052341.jpg
Views:	19810
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	4617741  
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to showlyshah For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift showlyshah Ad-Free

13th October 2018, 04:21 AM |#2  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 140

More
What extra feature have you got to work? You get all of this by just installing the application.
The Following User Says Thank You to shalom06 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shalom06 Ad-Free
13th October 2018, 04:41 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag kerala

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom06

What extra feature have you got to work? You get all of this by just installing the application.

everything works bro. i gave it a check, and edited the op. check
13th October 2018, 04:44 AM |#4  
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 223

Donate to Me
More
It's amazing for me.
13th October 2018, 04:54 AM |#5  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Good work, I wonder if someone could do a magisk module to get the same affect so that you would have to mess with the build.prop file
13th October 2018, 05:37 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatdrc

Good work, I wonder if someone could do a magisk module to get the same affect so that you would have to mess with the build.prop file

What is the downside to editing your build.prop does safety net fail?
13th October 2018, 05:47 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Does Top Shot work?
13th October 2018, 05:50 AM |#8  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedajoester

What is the downside to editing your build.prop does safety net fail?

I don't think so. The only down side is that all your apps will think you have a Pixel 3 XL but I don't think that would really cause a problem. I wonder what we would need to update in order to get things like the call screener to work.
13th October 2018, 05:50 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 191

More
Nothing new, you get most of this just installing the app, minus the HEIC codec
13th October 2018, 06:06 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag kerala

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by armando_rod

Nothing new, you get most of this just installing the app, minus the HEIC codec

Have u tried it bro? I did.. and there are lots , which are missing. Either u haven't checked whats missing or u haven't checked whats gained.
13th October 2018, 11:04 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 167

More
Cool! 👍

The new features seem to be there, but:

- Photo Box doesn't take a picture when I smile. Does it only work with multiple people?
- How can I enable top shot? Or does it turn on automatically?

Edit: Photo Box only seems to work when I switch to the selfie camera first and then activate it. When I activate it as long as the back camera is selected, it doesn't work. May be coincidence, though
The Following User Says Thank You to BabelHuber For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BabelHuber Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)