FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Root] Enable Call-Screening on Pixel

549 posts
Thanks Meter: 112

By coolsid8, Senior Member on 1st November 2018, 12:46 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Inspired by this post : https://www.xda-developers.com/enabl...pp-dark-theme/

Credits : Legents (He found the flags for it to work and I helped him test the flags)

Update 1 : Currently, this doesn't work on stock rom for some reason, maybe wait for November update if you want to stay on stock. This has been tested on several custom roms like havoc, carbon and liquidremix pie roms.

Update 2 : People on stock rom can try this combination and check again. Phone app version 24 and Play services 14.5.70. Someone got it to work on stock rom on reddit.**

Update 3 : No need to mess with any app versions from November update. Just modify the files. It should work.

Steps to enable Call Screening :

1. Make sure you are rooted and have the latest version of the app, Google Phone 25, installed. You can root your device by finding the right links here. To join the beta channel of the Google Phone app, head to the Google Play Store listing and look for the beta option. You can also download the APK from apkmirror and sideload it manually.

Side Note : I have tested it on following version :
Google Phone V25
Play Services 14.5.70(100400-217905028)

2. Download any root-enabled file explorer like FX File Explorer or MiXplorer. I did it using MiXplorer.

3. Open the explorer and navigate to the root directory from the left-side navigation menu.

4. Navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.dialer/shared_prefs and look for the file named dialer_phenotype_flags.xml.

5. Change the following flags to true, (Locale flags are optional and may not appear in your XML file and can be ignored if you have your default language to English(US) in Google App) :
Code:
    <boolean name="__data_rollout__SpeakEasy.CallScreenOnPixelOneAndTwoRollout__launched__" value="false" />
    <boolean name="__data_rollout__SpeakEasy.OverrideUSLocaleCheckRollout__launched__" value="false" />
    <boolean name="G__enable_speakeasy_details" value="false" />
    <boolean name="G__speak_easy_bypass_locale_check" value="false" />
    <boolean name="G__speak_easy_enabled" value="false" />
6. Force stop the Google Dialer

7. Open Dialer and go to settings, you will see a new Call screen menu. Open the menu and wait for supplementary file required for Call Screen to be downloaded.

8. Voila. Enjoy.

Other things to remember:
1. During Step 7, you have to be on an Wifi Connection, it doesn't download the files otherwise and functionality won't work correctly. Also, if you are using a mobile hotspot as a Wifi Connection, set it to unmetered from Wifi Settings before opening the Call Screen menu from dialer.

2. This mod works along with Dark Mode and New favorites flags, so you can enable them too if required :
Code:
    <boolean name="__data_rollout__DarkMode.EnableDarkModeRollout__launched__" value="false" />
    <boolean name="G__enable_dark_mode_setting" value="false" />
    <boolean name="G__enable_new_favorites_tab" value="false" />
3. I have tested this on Havoc-OS for now. Testers from other custom ROMs with latest gapps are welcome to try it if it works on yours. I tried the same on stock, but even after manually updating my play services to the version mentioned above, I couldn't get it to run as Play services had some trouble with Phone permissions even though everything was enabled.

4. I have tested it on P2XL. But ideally it should also work on P2 and maybe even P1.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to coolsid8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift coolsid8 Ad-Free

1st November 2018, 01:25 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Tested on OG Pixel stock, followed all steps correctly, no luck.
1st November 2018, 02:08 PM |#3  
Flag Charles City Iowa
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Same here couldn't get it to work on stock os on pixel 2xl, I'll probably try to play around with it more this weekend
1st November 2018, 02:10 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 319

More
on stock, dark mode was enabled but no go on the screening.
1st November 2018, 02:32 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 59

Donate to Me
More
I couldn't install the latest play store beta on pixel 2xl
1st November 2018, 03:09 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag India

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caillian

Tested on OG Pixel stock, followed all steps correctly, no luck.

Can you please share your dialer and play services version ? Also, did dark mode for you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwps

Same here couldn't get it to work on stock os on pixel 2xl, I'll probably try to play around with it more this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddr

on stock, dark mode was enabled but no go on the screening.

Can you please share your dialer and play services version ? Like i have said, I tried this on stock but couldn't get the latest version of play services to run. But it worked on Havoc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRL3GS

I couldn't install the latest play store beta on pixel 2xl

Are you talking about play store or play services ? Are you running Stock ?
1st November 2018, 03:16 PM |#7  
Flag Charles City Iowa

More
I am running dialer V25 and play services v14.5.70, give me a little bit and I'll try out the dark mode.
1st November 2018, 03:19 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag India

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwps

I am running dialer V25 and play services v14.5.70, give me a little bit and I'll try out the dark mode.

I think you are on the correct version. There was a slight error in the OP. The play services version is v14.5.70.
1st November 2018, 03:21 PM |#9  
Flag Charles City Iowa

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsid8

I think you are on the correct version. There was a slight error in the OP. The play services version is v14.5.70.

Dark mode and the new favorites tab work fine. I thank you for that information, the white background was annoying me.
1st November 2018, 03:39 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 319

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsid8

Can you please share your dialer and play services version ? Also, did dark mode for you ?

Can you please share your dialer and play services version ? Like i have said, I tried this on stock but couldn't get the latest version of play services to run. But it worked on Havoc.

Are you talking about play store or play services ? Are you running Stock ?

phone is 25.0.218361296
services is 14.5.70(100400-217905028)
1st November 2018, 04:00 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag India

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddr

phone is 25.0.218361296
services is 14.5.70(100400-217905028)

Yep. Correct versions. Do you get any error when you reboot regarding action services having trouble with play services ?

Also, did you install these updates manually or through play store ?

Lets wait for people on other roms and their experiences.
Maybe its something to do with stock rom then.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)