FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Charger/USB-C - 3.5mm Adapter

141 posts
Thanks Meter: 57

By dfryer1193, Senior Member on 25th October 2017, 07:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Are there currently any adapters that allow charging while also using a 3.5mm jack?
The Google store has this, but nobody can give me any information on what "Coming Soon" means.

Any ideas?
The Following User Says Thank You to dfryer1193 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dfryer1193 Ad-Free

27th October 2017, 02:32 PM |#2  
pleasant hill
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Moshi has them available for purchase now, but only on their web site and not through google.
Hopefully that means google will have them soon, I really want one to leave in my car but i dont know if i can justify the 45$ price tag.

https://www.moshi.com/usb-c-digital-...-with-charging

Edit: out of stock now
Edit 2(Nov. 8): back in stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to westnile90 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift westnile90 Ad-Free
31st October 2017, 02:39 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 219

More
Says they are out of stock
1st November 2017, 03:04 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Another forum suggested this
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfryer1193

Are there currently any adapters that allow charging while also using a 3.5mm jack?
The Google store has this, but nobody can give me any information on what "Coming Soon" means.

Any ideas?

I was researching for such a solution. In the XDA U11 forum, I saw this and ordered it, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. You plug the provided 3.5mm adapter into it. It would be a bad portable solution, but might be good enough for a desk. I will report back on whether it works for the Pixel 2.
1st November 2017, 06:42 AM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnacks

I was researching for such a solution. In the XDA U11 forum, I saw this and ordered it, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. You plug the provided 3.5mm adapter into it. It would be a bad portable solution, but might be good enough for a desk. I will report back on whether it works for the Pixel 2.

Yes please report back. As I understand those adapters need to have a DAC builtin, but if you are using oem dongle then perhaps it can communicate to phone through this adapter
1st November 2017, 03:34 PM |#6  
St. Paul
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Using the included adapter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolyan

Yes please report back. As I understand those adapters need to have a DAC builtin, but if you are using oem dongle then perhaps it can communicate to phone through this adapter

I dont know if you looked at the product, but what he is doing is using the included USB-C to 3.5mm adapter that came with the phone, so that DAC would be there.
The Following User Says Thank You to roachkazy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift roachkazy Ad-Free
2nd November 2017, 12:37 PM |#7  

More
Spoke with manufacturer, they said it will work 100%
But I already gave away my P2, I decided to keep P1 for now until 8.1 release at least. I was excited about camera but I prefer P1 images they look better to my eyes
2nd November 2017, 05:02 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:

I was researching for such a solution. In the XDA U11 forum, I saw this and ordered it, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ie=UTF8&psc=1. You plug the provided 3.5mm adapter into it. It would be a bad portable solution, but might be good enough for a desk. I will report back on whether it works for the Pixel 2.

Looks promising, I would be using this in my car. It looks like it would be heavy but it also has an SD reader I don't know how listening to music via OTG is
3rd November 2017, 02:15 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Success with the USB-C hub, charging, and USB-C audio adapter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolyan

It works completely! I tested a bunch of scenarios and am very happy. Only drawbacks so far are the thing is about half the size of the phone and the pigtail is about four inches.

Here is what works:
Rapid charging with a USB-C charger
Playing back music through the supplied USB-C audio adapter with and without charging attached
USB cable to an iPad (at least it connected and was recognized but I could not access pictures; I had the same issue with the data transfer adapter so I don't think this hub is at fault)
USB cable to a Canon camera
USB memory card reader

It would not read my micro SD card in the hub's slot initially but I got it to work.

Notes:
I did not test using the headset adapter with a wired microphone. I don't know if that is supported and don't have one.
You don't have to change the USB settings to get it to work. It just worked automatically.
The charging port is the one closest to the pigtail. The other port doesn't work for that purpose. The white lettering on silver case is hard to read so it is easy to miss which port is required for charging.
I didn't test it with HDMI because I cannot get the phone to work with the HDMI cable I purchased even when directly connected.

Here is the link again: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0R1F1M/

*edit: got the card reader to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hub.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	4321527  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssnacks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ssnacks Ad-Free
3rd November 2017, 02:58 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Hopefully we'll have a portables position under $45!

In the meantime I bought a Bluetooth receiver so in the car I can charge and use BT for audio to the car.

You could also buy a Bluetooth receiver and plug your earhones in it.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
7th November 2017, 11:13 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Quote:

It works completely! I tested a bunch of scenarios and am very happy. Only drawbacks so far are the thing is about half the size of the phone and the pigtail is about four inches.

Here is what works:
Rapid charging with a USB-C charger
Playing back music through the supplied USB-C audio adapter with and without charging attached
USB cable to an iPad (at least it connected and was recognized but I could not access pictures; I had the same issue with the data transfer adapter so I don't think this hub is at fault)
USB cable to a Canon camera
USB memory card reader

It would not read my micro SD card in the hub's slot initially but I got it to work.

Notes:
I did not test using the headset adapter with a wired microphone. I don't know if that is supported and don't have one.
You don't have to change the USB settings to get it to work. It just worked automatically.
The charging port is the one closest to the pigtail. The other port doesn't work for that purpose. The white lettering on silver case is hard to read so it is easy to miss which port is required for charging.
I didn't test it with HDMI because I cannot get the phone to work with the HDMI cable I purchased even when directly connected.

Here is the link again: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0R1F1M/

*edit: got the card reader to work.

So the 4 inch pigtail goes into the phone, the PD charging port is connected to your Pixel wall charger, and the 3.5 USB c adapter connects to the data only USB C port?

Did you try to connect a keyboard, mouse, or USB Ethernet adapter to the USB A side? I am curious if those device work on the Pixel 2.

Thanks for your info.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)