FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Google Pixel 2 + Smartwatch

413 posts
Thanks Meter: 58

By Digital DJ, Senior Member on 8th March 2018, 01:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm wondering how many of you have a smartwatch with your Pixel 2 (XL) and what kind it is? I'm shopping for a smartwatch now. I LOVE the look and feel of the Nixon Mission and it's waterproof for up to 300 feet I believe( I'm not a diver but I hate taking my watch off to swim), but the price sucks, I also love the look and feel of the Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. I really want one that is waterproof as can be. I don't really care for taking calls on my watch. But I do love the notifications I can get on the watch. I really want good battery life. Just want to know what you all think of your watches if you have them....

Would love some feedback!

8th March 2018, 10:57 PM |#2  
Flag Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 226

More
I've got a Gear S2 Classic - if I use the always on display, then I get about a day and a half of battery life. That extends to 4 days if I turn off the AOD.

Here are the pros:
  • Getting notifications on my wrist is perfect when I'm in a meeting. It allows me to discretely check to make sure it's not important without pulling out a bright 5" phone screen.
  • I wake up at a different time than my wife every morning. I can use the watch's vibration as a silent alarm while it's on my wrist.
  • I can change the watch face and bands to match my outfit. Dress it up with a metal band when I wear a suit or keep it casual with a black leather band when I'm wearing jeans.

Here are the cons:
  • Price - I got mine from an eBay user who never wore it and just wanted to sell it for cheap, so I only paid $150. I could never imagine paying full retail prices for these things.
  • If you try to use anything other than the smart reply features to incoming text messages, you'll hate typing on it.
9th March 2018, 08:33 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital DJ

I'm wondering how many of you have a smartwatch with your Pixel 2 (XL) and what kind it is? I'm shopping for a smartwatch now. I LOVE the look and feel of the Nixon Mission and it's waterproof for up to 300 feet I believe( I'm not a diver but I hate taking my watch off to swim), but the price sucks, I also love the look and feel of the Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. I really want one that is waterproof as can be. I don't really care for taking calls on my watch. But I do love the notifications I can get on the watch. I really want good battery life. Just want to know what you all think of your watches if you have them....

Speaking of battery life in a smart watch, never go for a watch with android wear! The OS sucks. Tizen OS is just better in every way. So Samsung Gear S3 is the best when it comes to battery life & user experience, Not to mention that rotating dial for navigation which is very very convenient. As for as the looks Huawei watch 2 is awesome.

P.S: i dont use a smart watch.
9th March 2018, 03:07 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 145

More
Quote:

I had a LG G watch but the battery life on android wear is just too shitty. I want a Samsung gear s3 frontier
9th March 2018, 08:32 PM |#5  

More
I use a Polar M600, which suits me very well, but I don't think it's for you. It has all the attractiveness (or lack thereof) of a running watch, which it is, but it also does everything I want a general-purpose smart watch to do.

As has already been pointed out, no Android Wear watch offers truly great battery life. Getting through the day is the best you can hope for with AW.

My own personal oddity is that I prefer watches with a light background, so I avoid OLED displays, which need to be kept as dark as possible to minimize battery drain. That's one of the things I like about the Polar: its transmissive display. I'd prefer transflective, though

You might consider an activity tracker, instead of a smartwatch. The Huawei Fit, for one, looks more watch-like than most, supports notifications, and is said to be waterproof and have long battery life. I have no direct knowledge of it, so I can't endorse it, but it looks like it might meet your specs.
10th March 2018, 09:47 AM |#6  
Flag Liberec

More
True, android wear sucks. (Sony smartwatch 3, Motorola moto 360 in past)
For sport Garmin and Suunto. I had Garmin Vivoactive HR, great like sporttester, weaker like smartwatch.
And now I bought Fitbit Ionic on January. Good smartwatch and sporttester in one.
13th March 2018, 02:54 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I've been using an LG watch Urbane with my non XL Pixel 2. It works ok, but sometimes looses connection. I can get about a day and a half out of it but normally charge it every night.

For the past couple of weeks I've tried not using it again and leaving my Bluetooth off, and it seems to have granted me around an extra 5-6% battery compared to using the watch.

It is fun to get notifications on your wrist and reply with the Swype keyboard, but I think it's not useful enough to warrant losing the phone battery.
13th March 2018, 07:50 PM |#8  
Flag Frederikshavn
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I haven't found any suitable replacement for my Sony SmartWatch 3. Newer smartwatch's might have a HR-censor that I don't use anyway. Even when running three times a week the watch has at least two days of battery life. If not running it will be three to four days. With my new Google Pixel 2 XL I have smartphone that match the the battery life of my smartwatch.
13th March 2018, 10:20 PM |#9  
Flag Braga
Thanks Meter: 235

More
I use the original Huawei Watch (still the best looking smartwatch out there) and love it. The only bug I have is since I bought the Pixel 2 I can't pick up phone calls directly on the smartwatch because if that setting is on the person calling me dosent ear me for like 10 seconds when I pick up a call on the phone. Google is aware of this and says it will release a fix.
14th March 2018, 08:01 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 185

More
Quote:

I've had the Samsung Gear S3 and while it was nice, if it's not a Samsung phone it does not work correctly. I switch to the Huawei Watch 2 and it's perfect. Don't listen to someone who doesn't wear one. I got about 2 days a battery on Samsung in about a day and a half on the Huawei Watch 2. Both with normal use. Battery saver can get you a lot more time with it if needed. I never use it though. Android wear is getting refresh as Wear OS soon so let's see what that does.
15th March 2018, 06:58 PM |#11  
Flag Bloomington, IL
Thanks Meter: 39

More
I have a FitBit Ionic. I'm a former Garmin VivoActive and Apple Watch user.

I don't get much into the applications because I almost always have my phone with me anyway. So far, it's been great. Battery is 5+ days easy unless you're using GPS a lot, and even then it only drains at about 8% per hour. The display is pretty nice and there's a decent amount of watch faces available with more trickling out once in a while.

It has arguably the best app for the smart sport watch segment and the HR, movement, and sleep analytics make it a pretty good fit for me overall.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)