FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][Pixel 2][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 15.1 [walleye]

352 posts
Thanks Meter: 825

By jorgen2009, Senior Member on 22nd April 2018, 02:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
LineageOS Logo
LineageOS is a free and open-source operating system for smartphones and tablet computers, based on the Android mobile platform.

This is an unofficial build of LineageOS for the Pixel 2 (walleye). I always liked Lineage (and its predecessor CyanogenMOD) as well as the Google line of phones. Unfortunately having a Google Pixel phone isn't certainty for a lot of custom ROMS anymore, so that's why I decided to compile my own version. It's been quite challeging, but I think I finally have a build that is good enough to share.

About
This ROM is is always built straight from the LineageOS sources found on https://github.com/lineageos. There are only 3 changes in order to get this build:
  1. The binaries for this ROM come from AICP
  2. GApps are compiled with the ROM from OpenGApps (nano version) including the Pixel specific bits for unlimited photo upload for instance
  3. Disabled Android Verity Boot (AVB), so we don't get the security warning when booting
I am not a developer, I only build this ROM and it reflects the the current status. If there are any things missing or not working I suggest to contact the LineageOS team, they are the real geniuses here and deserve all the credits. I will try to keep this ROM updated on a regular basis.

First Installation
Installing the ROM can be a little hard, especially the first install. Upgrades will be relatively easy though. This first setup is only needed when coming from a different ROM then this. I can't support you if you did't follow this first installation. Be warned it will wipe your user data in the process
  1. In order to get the initial setup and also to use the same vendor partition as the ROM you have to install the latest stock Pixel 2 image from Google found here. More info on unlocking your phone and installing the latest Pixel image can be found in the excellent post by @nathanchance found here. After flashing the image make sure you reboot at least once (no need to set it up now though).
    (As an alternative I also privide a little script for installing the Google image, the benefit of this is that it'll flash the image to both slots (see downloads section), so they are both on the latest build. It also automatically boots you to TWRP for installing the ROM directly afterwards. (convenient for flashing monthly updates without wiping data). All instructions for using the script are inside the script itself)
  2. Place the ROM and optionally the TWRP zip and root from (Magisk or from LineageOS (not tested) on the phone and reboot to recovery by using the command line (fastboot boot twrp.img)
  3. Wipe 'data' and 'Dalvik / Art Cache' from TWRP - Wipe - Advanced Wipe. Optionally you should also delete the Android folder on your internal storage through the TWRP File Manager
  4. Flash the ROM and optionally the TWRP zip and reboot the phone
  5. Now the tricky part: you have to decide now how you want to setup your phone. If you want to set it up as a new phone then it's easy. Just select it after setting up your WiFi and continue as usual. If you want to set it up your Google account from the cloud (restore your previously made backup) you will have to do another necessary step due to some inconsistencies with GApps and AOSP. Everything you need to do is explained in detail in this post from @adinkwok. You should start at number 3 from here. Great find!

Upgrades to new version
After the hard initial work to get the ROM installed it's going to be easy for upgrades to new versions.
  1. Download the new ROM and reboot of flash to TWRP
  2. Flash the new ROM and optionally TWRP. If you want to flash another kernel or a root solution you will have to reboot you phone, so it switches slots and let it boot normally. Then go back to recovery and flash in this order: TWRP - kernel - Magisk and reboot
After a monthly update from Google and only when LineageOS also adapted to the latest monthly sources (I will tell you this) you will have to do an extra step:
  1. Download the latest image from the Google Factory Images site and extract it accordirng to the intructions in the flash script
  2. Reboot your phone in bootloader mode
  3. Run the monthly_update script (see downloads)
  4. When done properly your phone should be in recovery mode now. Now you can follow th enormal procedure for flashing an update
All the above steps get a little more complicated when you have an encrypted phone and are on the latest April update. Something broke with TWRP in that it won't allow you to access your data on your phone. I suggest you to store all the files you need to flash to an USB drive and connect it with the supplied OTA cable to your phone. When flashing you can select the drive through the 'Storage' button in TWRP.

Not working
  • Substratum
  • Use Powerbutton for flashlight when Ambient Display is set
  • Face Unlock ?
Downloads
Now finally for the good part, the downloads. In this folder you will always find the latest ROMs and scripts:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...nxK6dtfnoLmpM1

Happy flashing
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to jorgen2009 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jorgen2009 Ad-Free

22nd April 2018, 03:31 PM |#2  
VB
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Miraculous... Will flash soon. Thank you for keeping Pixel 2 relevant.
22nd April 2018, 07:38 PM |#3  
Flag salt lake city
Thanks Meter: 231

More
Is link not posted yet?
22nd April 2018, 07:38 PM |#4  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 113

Donate to Me
More
I want to thank you for posting. But, I get the feeling this will just be closed as well really soon. Hope this sticks around, because XDA is not what it use to be, at all!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JCBiznatch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JCBiznatch Ad-Free
22nd April 2018, 07:40 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBiznatch

I want to thank you for posting. But, I get the feeling this will just be closed as well really soon. Hope this sticks around, because XDA is not what it use to be, at all!

Why would it be closed?
22nd April 2018, 09:29 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 86

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBiznatch

I completely agree...
The Following User Says Thank You to Colday96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Colday96 Ad-Free
22nd April 2018, 09:45 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 177

More
Any chance for an MD5
The Following User Says Thank You to jascolli For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jascolli Ad-Free
22nd April 2018, 10:11 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 825

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jascolli

Any chance for an MD5

Added in the same folder:
MD5: a28cd4f3cabe627fbe99cbe1485cba3f
The Following User Says Thank You to jorgen2009 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jorgen2009 Ad-Free
22nd April 2018, 11:03 PM |#9  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 113

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCUofficial

Why would it be closed?

I don't have a clue. It just seems that anyone who posts a ROM gets the thread closed. It's almost as if they don't want walleye to have any development.

Just check this forum out compared to the pixel XL 2 forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JCBiznatch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JCBiznatch Ad-Free
22nd April 2018, 11:10 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 177

More
Thanks very much for sharing this. I've got it installed and it's running fantastic.
23rd April 2018, 10:56 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1,445

More
Everyone who has had a rom thread has closed the thread for different reasons, time, family, frustration or lack of support etc...

I see don't see why we should be negative and assumee the same is the case with this build. Every rom thread has produced better and more stable builds as time progressed.
@Joregen2009, I have seen your name around before, appreciate you building!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to razrlover For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift razrlover Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lineageos, rom

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)