FORUMS

Battery life considerably worse after update to 9.0

11 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By NickJHP, Junior Member on 9th August 2018, 07:56 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
OTA update to 9.0 available a couple of days ago so I let it install. Since then, I've seen considerably quicker draining of the battery, with my usage of the phone being much the same as before. For example, when I went to sleep last night the battery was at 64%, and there were no apps running according to a swipe up from Home, but when I woke this morning, battery was down to 2%. I normally charge once a day, and previously the battery was hardly ever below 50% after 24 hours - I'm a pretty light user.

As an aside, with 9.0 there no longer appears to be possible under battery usage information in Settings to see the percentage of battery that has been used by the various apps and processes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NickJHP For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NickJHP Ad-Free
9th August 2018, 08:47 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2,043

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJHP

OTA update to 9.0 available a couple of days ago so I let it install. Since then, I've seen considerably quicker draining of the battery, with my usage of the phone being much the same as before. For example, when I went to sleep last night the battery was at 64%, and there were no apps running according to a swipe up from Home, but when I woke this morning, battery was down to 2%. I normally charge once a day, and previously the battery was hardly ever below 50% after 24 hours - I'm a pretty light user.

As an aside, with 9.0 there no longer appears to be possible under battery usage information in Settings to see the percentage of battery that has been used by the various apps and processes.

Click the three dots in the top right and choose battery usage.

As for battery life, mine has improved greatly on Android P
9th August 2018, 10:07 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 92

More
Quote:

Ok here. 62% drop over night doing nothing suggests you have a rogue app in there. I'm assuming you have ok cellular coverage and nothing has changed there by coincidence. I would reboot and force close every app you have that's not essential overnight and try again. Swipe up from home and clearing those apps doesn't force close the apps. Greenify is an app that (in manual mode) will make it easy to select as many apps as you want and force close the lot of them. If that improves the situation you can then begin to work out which app(s) might be doing bad stuff whilst you sleep...
9th August 2018, 12:48 PM |#4  
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Battery on my P2 has significantly improved with Pie even if I didn't have any major problem with 8.1 either. Overnight drain 3-4%. After regular use after a full day I easily exceed 5h SOT. Everything stock with just Greenify in non root mode. I couldn't be happier, best Android release so far for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaxNXS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MaxNXS Ad-Free
9th August 2018, 02:53 PM |#5  
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:

I've had my p2 installed with PIE for about 2 days now. I suggest giving it a week (which is what I'm doing) and then getting a full overview of how my battery is performing. Usually, after any major OS updates, being that apps are trying to utilize your resources and a new version of Android would try to allocate and learn your usage (in this case battery), you'd get a much better definitive idea of your overall performance.

I also think that since its now available, turn on Adaptive Battery mode. After a day of upgrading the OS, Adaptive battery at my 26 hr mark of upgrade said that one of my apps was taking in a lot of resources to be used in the background (ES File Explorer). I made AB to stop ES from taking battery resources.

So in conclusion, if it a week and then you'll be able to get a better overall understanding of whether your battery REALLY has gotten worse or better.

Hope this helps!
9th August 2018, 03:53 PM |#6  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 542

Donate to Me
More
Interestingly, my battery was dropping really quickly too after the update to DP3, I switched off Adaptive Battery and it fixed the issue completely.
I tried it again with Android Pie and the issue resumed, so I turned it back off. Maybe try this too?

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Interestingly, my battery was dropping really quickly too after the update to DP3, I switched off Adaptive Battery and it fixed the issue completely.
I tried it again with Android Pie and the issue resumed, so I turned it back off. Maybe try this too?
The Following User Says Thank You to gbmasterdoctor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gbmasterdoctor Ad-Free
10th August 2018, 02:13 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Exact same problem here after updating. Even tried a factory reset in case it was an updating issue. Same problem. My battery is currently at 43% 4 hours after a full charge. And I've barely used it. This is really poor.

No new apps installed.

My Oreo battery life was great. I'll try shutting off adaptive battery as suggested - but seems a real shame if one of the flagship battery saving features is doing the total opposite on Google's current flagship phone!

Doesn't seem to be a massively common issue so not sure if a likelihood of a patch either
10th August 2018, 10:42 PM |#8  

More
Just a quick update - Google play services has now become the biggest drain on my battery, just as it was before I factory reset after the first install...

Anyone else had the same?
12th August 2018, 03:07 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmasterdoctor

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

I had the same issue and did the same thing... until dp3 and my battery usage was terrible again even with adaptive battery turned off. I ended up turning it on again and after about a week my battery usage was back where it was before. So there doesn't seem to be a magic bullet here. FWIW app usage offered no insight as to what was causing the drain in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to nullness For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nullness Ad-Free
12th August 2018, 05:47 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNXS

Battery on my P2 has significantly improved with Pie

THIS.

I got like 8+ hours of SOT.... no mobile network though, all day wifi use only.
13th August 2018, 06:12 PM |#11  

More
I have this issue. Dropped about 40% over night. I found that turning wifi off stopped the drain completely. I did not have this problem with Oreo at all so it's not the networks im connecting to. Weird thing is this did not happen when I first installed Pie. This started happening about 3 days into installing. Also, I put it in safe mode and saw the same drain with wifi on vs off.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)