FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Google Store Unlocked Pixel 2 "OEM unlocking" locked?

17 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By samplon, Junior Member on 5th November 2017, 03:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th November 2017, 05:04 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 97

More
Replacement phone arrived, oem unlock toggle works on this one
13th November 2017, 03:25 PM |#22  
Flag Irvine, CA
Thanks Meter: 100

More
After my first posts here I just got an update from Google after sending my debug report 5 days ago. All I got was this so I'm going to try calling soon.

13th November 2017, 08:26 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 268

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadcamaro

After my first posts here I just got an update from Google after sending my debug report 5 days ago. All I got was this so I'm going to try calling soon.

I could be wrong but I really doubt this a "bug". It's more likely it's just a result of human error. Since the phone has to connect to the internet to be able to toggle the OEM unlocking switch, I think it's fairly obvious it needs to check some sort of database to see if the phone is allowed to be unlocked. Most likely it's just a case of the phone not being entered into the database correctly. This happened on the OG Pixel too. Also, there were cases of Verizon phones being able to be unlocked when they (obviously) shouldn't have been allowed to.

Like I said, I could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet that's what happens in these cases. A simple case of human error.
13th November 2017, 08:58 PM |#24  
OP Junior Member

More
Just got my replacement today. "OEM unlocking" is still grayed out and can't be toggled...
13th November 2017, 09:44 PM |#25  
Flag SE Texas

More
My Pixel 2 shipped today, ordered unlocked. I use At&t how will I know if it is in fact unlocked ? Tapping on the build number should enable developer options yes ?
13th November 2017, 09:52 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Thanks for posting this. This prompted me to check, and I have the same issue. I'm currently talking with support via chat, and they're refusing to send me a replacement. They want me to wait for the issue to be fixed, otherwise they can process a return (with no replacement). I have serious doubts that this is going to be fixed at all, let alone before my return window expires in a week. I'm about to board a flight, but maybe I'll try calling support later instead of going through chat.

By any chance did anyone else with this issue order their phone through Project Fi? Just wondering if that could be related.
13th November 2017, 10:31 PM |#27  
OP Junior Member

More
Looking at both phones with 'OEM unlocking" greyed out through CID Getter shows this. I'm pretty sure that should be a 1 instead of a 0.
https://imgur.com/a/ViOhJ
13th November 2017, 11:16 PM |#28  
Quote:
Originally Posted by samplon

Just got my replacement today. "OEM unlocking" is still grayed out and can't be toggled...

Same here lol. Im going to wait for the pending OTA to install to see if that fixes it. If not I guess Im gonna have to call them again. This is frustrating.
14th November 2017, 12:30 AM |#29  
Flag chiraq
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Mine is in the mail and should be here tomorrow. Pixel 2 black (not xl) I ordered unlocked, no verizon, no project fi. I will not install sim, I will not connect to wireless. I plan to bypass setup and head straight to dev options. I will post back my results.
14th November 2017, 02:06 AM |#30  
Im returning the new phone and getting a replacement. If the next one I get is still borked im just going to return it and get my money back.
14th November 2017, 05:05 PM |#31  
Flag chiraq
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Of course I have the issue. called customer support using the built in feature. I was asked where I bought it and the IMEI number. I was told that the engineers are aware of the issue and that within a week I will receive an over the air update that will resolve the issue. I wrote down the case number and was told that I have until Dec 1st to return the device for a full refund. If this isn't resolved by then I will be returning. I guess I should've bought a sammy or a one plus. I will not own a device with a locked bootloader idc who makes it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)