FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Maybe a stupid question about Verizon Pixel 2's and rooting

106 posts
Thanks Meter: 52

By D3RP_, Senior Member on 27th December 2017, 09:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Would it be possible to modify the .bin in an OTA sideload for a root? Am I missing a key point in how this works? Or is it just, no one's done it yet?

Edit: I guess it just took a passion and a situation. See thread for unlock.

Edit Part 2: Electric Boogaloo: Just a quick recap of what's happened here. From the bootloader screen on my Pixel 2 (Walleye) I ran the
Code:
 Fastboot flashing lock_critical
command, which then gave me a menu asking if I really want to lock it, or unlock it, I clicked unlock, and here we are. So far, only @zinchalk has confirmed this working. I would love for more people to try this out on their Verizon Pixel 2's and come back with the results. This was either the weirdest fluke of all time, or the best mistake Verizon has ever made. Either way, I hope it works for you

Edit 3: Well there's the January Patch This looks like it 'fixes' the bypass.
Correction: Nevermind, nothing is confirmed yet. And the people have decided there is no way this could be patched that quickly.

Edit 4: I'm seeing way too many people posting about bricked phones. Please don't do this UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I cannot live knowing that someone ruined their phone with this method. Please be safe.
@SoloTSi97 has confirmed this does work on the January 5th security patch!

Edit 5: There it is, we have people confirming the Verizon OTA being pushed this late January is patching the fastboot unlock method. Keep this in mind down the road guys.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to D3RP_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift D3RP_ Ad-Free

27th December 2017, 09:47 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3RP_

Would it be possible to modify the .bin in an OTA sideload for a root? Am I missing a key point in how this works? Or is it just, no one's done it yet?

Have you found a way to unlock the bootloader on a Verizon phone?

Or are you thinking modify the .bin would achieve unlocking the bootloader?

As far as I've read, no one has bothered since you can purchase direct from Google and OEM unlock the bootloader. Then root through Magisk is simple.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
27th December 2017, 10:00 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Jeremiah

Have you found a way to unlock the bootloader on a Verizon phone?

Or are you thinking modify the .bin would achieve unlocking the bootloader?

As far as I've read, no one has bothered since you can purchase direct from Google and OEM unlock the bootloader. Then root through Magisk is simple.

lmao not that I know of. But I know it's possible to update any android through adb sideload. I'm really just grasping for straws. But because of my current situation I have a Pixel 2 from Verizon, and i'm gonna have it for a while.
27th December 2017, 10:49 PM |#4  
NC
Thanks Meter: 186

More
I've been out of the android game for a long time; just switched back from iPhone 7, to a Pixel 2 used with Verizon. Am I correct in assuming that the device is unable to be unlocked, etc.?
27th December 2017, 10:54 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsthecat3

I've been out of the android game for a long time; just switched back from iPhone 7, to a Pixel 2 used with Verizon. Am I correct in assuming that the device is unable to be unlocked, etc.?

Unless you know some magic way, it is locked. I don't even know where to start with this thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to D3RP_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift D3RP_ Ad-Free
27th December 2017, 11:04 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Sell the Verizon one to someone who doesn't care for root and buy one from Google?

I used Sunshine Root for my HTC m8 years ago. They might be an option in the future. Yet again, since the Google version is easily unlocked & rooted, I don't think anyone has even tried.

27th December 2017, 11:42 PM |#7  
NC

More
Thanks. Glad I didn't try using the method I saw on YouTube, etc.
27th December 2017, 11:52 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Thanks. Glad I didn't try using the method I saw on YouTube, etc.

Just a small update. From the fastboot menu, I did
Code:
Which gave me the option to ''unlock bootloader'. It can't be this easy, but uhhh. I'll keep this thread updated...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D3RP_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift D3RP_ Ad-Free
27th December 2017, 11:55 PM |#9  
NC

More
Surely it can't be that easy. I'd say start a thread if this hasn't been noted.

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3RP_

Just a small update. From the fastboot menu, I did

Code:
Which gave me the option to ''unlock bootloader'. It can't be this easy, but uhhh. I'll keep this thread updated...

^^
28th December 2017, 12:12 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Surely it can't be that easy. I'd say start a thread if this hasn't been noted.

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

^^

OEM unlocking says Bootloader is unlocked. So uh, it was that easy... Gonna root and install TWRP in a second.
The Following User Says Thank You to D3RP_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift D3RP_ Ad-Free
28th December 2017, 01:02 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Final Update
So that worked. Currently rooted with TWRP on my Verizon Pixel 2. Spread the word, or don't.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to D3RP_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift D3RP_ Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)