FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Pixel 2 [CONFIRMED]

82 posts
Thanks Meter: 67

Post Reply Email Thread
I'm not entirely sure if this is old news or not, but if you have the Verizon Pixel 2 like I do, and have been depressed that we can't unlock the bootloader thanks to the Evil Verizon people, and want to stick it to the Evil Verizon people and still Unlock the Bootloader for whatever purpose (Root, TWRP or Custom recovery, Custom ROM, Kernel, etc...) we are in luck!
Even though the Evil Verizon people have Disabled the OEM Unlocking in Developer Options.
There is a fastboot command that bypasses the disabled oem unlocking.
This only works for the Pixel 2 not the Pixel 2 XL variant.

Thanks to @b00ster23 for the following;
Quote:

Correct on the steps, including the entire discussion found here. https://forum.xda-developers.com/pix...el-2s-t3726294

Big Thanks goes to @D3RP_ for finding the command.

***PATCHED BY OUT-OF-CYCLE JANUARY UPDATE***
If you have received the OTA patch for your pixel2, and now are on OPM2.171019.016, you will no longer be able to run the command. And downgrade is not available at this time.

As of 1/24/2018 users who have purchased new phones have been able to remove the SIM, refuse internet (WiFi) connection at the initial startup. After completing the initial setup, you can sideload 8.1 to take advantage of the command in the OP. If you connect to the internet with WiFi or with your SIM, chances are high you will receive the update and this method WILL NOT work. To date, there are no other ways to unlock the bootloader on VZW PIX2 other than this method.

Instructions to sideload stock OTA's are found here along with the downloads. https://developers.google.com/android/ota

Once again, DO NOT USE 8.1.0 (OPM2.171019.016, Jan 2018, Verizon) but instead use 8.1.0 (OPM1.171019.013, Jan 2018) The command is not available on 8.0

Unlocking the Bootloader WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE!! so backup important files.

To Unlock your Verizon Pixel 2, follow the steps below..
  1. Install ADB/Fastboot Drivers
  2. Enable Developer Options
  3. Enable USB Debugging in Developer Options
  4. Plug Pixel 2 into PC
  5. Open a Command Prompt window;
  6. In Command Prompt, type
    Code:
    adb start-server
    and hit ENTER
    If you see * daemon started successfully *
    continue to next step
  7. In Command Prompt, type
    Code:
    adb devices
    and hit ENTER
    If you see "List of devices attached" as well as "Your Devices Serial Number device or unauthorized"
    continue to next step
  8. On Pixel 2 - Allow PC for USB Debugging
  9. In Command Prompt, type
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Once your Pixel 2 has rebooted into the bootloader
  10. In Command Prompt, type
    Code:
    fastboot flashing lock_critical
    and hit ENTER
  11. Then follow the instructions on your Pixel 2 to finish Unlocking Bootloader.

If you have successfully unlocked your bootloader on reboot you should see;
Verizon Pixel 2 Unlocked Bootloader Booting
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Shiestie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Shiestie Ad-Free

4th January 2018, 06:51 PM |#2  
Yup. Just did this with my Verizon Pixel 2 and it went through swimmingly.
4th January 2018, 08:42 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
OP any chance you can include step by step instructions on how to load TWRP and magisk? I did mines already but I was a bit confused with loading (pushing) twrp.img via adb and also installing magisk.
4th January 2018, 08:56 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 157

Donate to Me
More
Correct on the steps, including the entire discussion found here. https://forum.xda-developers.com/pix...el-2s-t3726294

Big Thanks goes to @D3RP_ for finding the command.

***PATCHED BY OUT-OF-CYCLE JANUARY UPDATE***
If you have received the OTA patch for your pixel2, and now are on OPM2.171019.016 or LATER, you will no longer be able to run the command. And downgrade is not available at this time.

As of 1/24/2018 users who have purchased new phones have been able to remove the SIM, refuse internet (WiFi) connection at the initial startup. After completing the initial setup, you can sideload 8.1 to take advantage of the command in the OP. If you connect to the internet with WiFi or with your SIM, chances are high you will receive the update and this method WILL NOT work. To date, there are no other ways to unlock the bootloader on VZW PIX2 other than this method.

Instructions to sideload stock OTA's are found here along with the downloads. https://developers.google.com/android/ota

Once again, DO NOT USE 8.1.0 (OPM2.171019.016, Jan 2018, Verizon) but instead use 8.1.0 (OPM1.171019.013, Jan 2018) or 8.1.0 (OPM1.171019.011, Dec 2017)The command is not available on 8.0

***UPDATED 6/11/18***
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=167 As of 3/19/18 People are still finding VZW Pixel2 phones in stores with the December patch. Not sure if VZW/Google are shipping newer patched phones at this time, but a good sign to users still looking for a phone they can unlock.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...59&postcount=1 Another user confirms that his phone was shipped "It was still on 8.1.0 (OPM1.171019.011, Dec 2017)"

***UPDATED 6-9-18*** https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=239 Another user received the 128GB White variant of the Pixel2 with the December build and was able to unlock successfully

***UPDATED 6-14-18*** https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=265 Users are are now getting phones directly from Verizon and the store with .016 or later factory installed.

To review, the command referred in the OP is available in 8.1 and not 8.0. Which means that you can upgrade to a compatible version of Android OS to take advantage of the command. However, your phone CANNOT be on ANY build past OPM2.171019.016, as the command was patched. Please see the attached table. Some users have been able to find phones in stores, and from surplus. However some newer phones are now being shipped with the latest security updates (OPM2.171019.016 and older.)

The best way to ensure you can unlock the BL on your VZW PIX2 is going to the store and physically verifying the patch revision on device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schedule.png
Views:	102
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	4526844  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b00ster23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift b00ster23 Ad-Free
4th January 2018, 09:48 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 6

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nes4r2

OP any chance you can include step by step instructions on how to load TWRP and magisk? I did mines already but I was a bit confused with loading (pushing) twrp.img via adb and also installing magisk.

I second this. After having read through the instructions for them both, it's still incredibly hard to understand what needs to be done.
4th January 2018, 09:49 PM |#6  
Flag Eugene, OR
Thanks Meter: 187

Donate to Me
More
I thought you didn't want to use the unlock critical command on pixel 2 and only the xl?
4th January 2018, 11:42 PM |#7  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbs3x

I thought you didn't want to use the unlock critical command on pixel 2 and only the xl?

Not sure where you heard NOT to use the unlock_critical_ command. However, if there is a reason not to, please post your findings. Keep in mind this is for the VZW Variant ONLY that is being referenced. (See OP)
5th January 2018, 03:09 AM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Harrisburg
Thanks Meter: 67

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nes4r2

I'll write up a little how to on flashing TWRP and Magisk first thing tmrw morning and add it to the original post.
5th January 2018, 11:51 AM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiestie

I'll write up a little how to on flashing TWRP and Magisk first thing tmrw morning and add it to the original post.

I would add disclaimers....links to other posts where information is already available.... Reference this post is for unlocking VZW pixel2 only.... Give credit to the XDA user that found the command...

Personally it's difficult to try and hash thru data in a forum post when the scope of information is too broad or double-posted. I like to have steps and supporting discussion for each step... My 2 cents about guide posting
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b00ster23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift b00ster23 Ad-Free
5th January 2018, 01:38 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Ordered my VZW Pixel 2 on 12/31, received it yesterday. It automatically updated to the January OTA. This morning, I ran the above steps and the bootloader is now unlocked. Easy Peasy. Thanks @Shiestie for the guide and @D3RP_ for the discovery!
5th January 2018, 02:53 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloTSi97

Ordered my VZW Pixel 2 on 12/31, received it yesterday. It automatically updated to the January OTA. This morning, I ran the above steps and the bootloader is now unlocked. Easy Peasy. Thanks @Shiestie for the guide and @D3RP_ for the discovery!

Oh. My. God. AAHHHHH! Could you go over to My thread And post a screenshot (cover your serial) and a picture of your bootloader screen?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloader, oem unlocking, pixel 2, unlock, verizon

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)