Weird Bootloop (kind of)?

Search This thread

cswithxda

Jan 24, 2012
all over
I have rarely had any bootloop on my previous devices, so I'm not sure if this even counts as bootloop:

An hour ago I found my Pixel 2 (stock 8.1, Magisk 14.5 unmodified, TWRP 3.1.1) restarted itself (with the internal error message it's hard to miss). So I hit OK and enter the pattern to unlock. Upon unlock it reboots and arrives at lock screen again. Another unlock would trigger another reboot, over and over.

Luckily, I had Magisk uninstaller stored on SD card so I went in recovery to flash that, which seems to have restored the backed up boot image, and the phone is properly functional again. Then I flashed Magisk and it's all fine now.

I'm not attributing this issue to Magisk but just wonder if anyone else has seen this issue before. With lock screen being properly loaded, I'm not sure if this even counts as a bootloop.

Another factor to consider is, about two hours before all this happened, I installed AdAway to modify the host file. Don't know if that could be the reason, but now I've modified the host file again, will see if this issue comes back.

Last edited:

lightningdude

Oct 9, 2010
I just started having the same problem about the same time. I did a complete shutdown from the lock screen and when it fully booted, it was fine overnight, but it started acting up again this morning, so I did a complete shutdown again. It hung on the shutdown screen, so I had to do the hard reboot. Doing fine again, for now. I also have Magisk and AdAway, but I'd had both of those active for a few days before this started up.

clcdev

Feb 5, 2016
Pittsburgh
I has something similar but different happen. After updating to 8.1 with magisk, I updated my hosts with adaway. I then had it hang on shutdown (this was the first time this had happened). Hard reset and rebooted and everything seemed to be fine. I then put it on the charger overnight, only to wake up the next morning and find it in the recovery menu saying there was an error booting the system and recommending a factory reset. I ignored that and rebooted, and haven't had any other issues since, but that one was weird.

EggZenBeanz

Jul 21, 2005
It's something to do with magisk 14.5 456 beta. I've had the same boot loops, reverted to stock boot.img and problems went away

cswithxda

Jan 24, 2012
all over
I haven't has this issue since I posted. To be clear, the problem I had could not be solved by a hard reset - it actually reboots itself every time I try to get past the lock screen for the first time after the previous (self) reboot. It's exactly a bootloop except that the phone makes it into the OS instead of failing to boot.

It can be Magisk or Adaway, no worries. I just pray it's not a hardware issue.

froader

Oct 23, 2006
Sounds like my same experience.
Stock 8.1 rooted with Magisk 14.5.
Stock recovery too.
Internal error message on boot.

I've had multiple reboots in a row, one after the other.
Stuck at shut down screen when selecting power off.
Hold down power button for hard reboot gets me back in business until this eventually happens again exactly as above.
No AdAway for me. I'm thinking it's the patched boot.img

Is there now an alternative method for rooting with Magisk other than patching the boot image and then manually flashing it?

Last edited:

lightningdude

Oct 9, 2010
I've not had this issue since I posted about it. I uninstalled one live wallpaper app, which I'm not sure did the trick or not.

cswithxda

Jan 24, 2012
all over
Sounds like my same experience.
Stock 8.1 rooted with Magisk 14.5.
Stock recovery too.
Internal error message on boot.

I've had multiple reboots in a row, one after the other.
Stuck at shut down screen when selecting power off.
Hold down power button for hard reboot gets me back in business until this eventually happens again exactly as above.
No AdAway for me. I'm thinking it's the patched boot.img

Is there now an alternative method for rooting with Magisk other than patching the boot image and then manually flashing it?

Just saw this. I didn't use patched image method, I used TWRP beta 1 to install the Magisk.

Xechorizo

Jan 5, 2008
Same exact "Internal error" warning and occasional boot loop after upgrading the Pixel 2 (not XL) to 8.1 from Magisk 14.5.1456 using TWRP 3.2.1.0. Also an AdAway user. Glad to hear I didn't mess it up and it's just a quirk of the method and the alpha/beta stages. Hopefully this resolves soon as I hate guessing whether my device will go belly up at random. Seems like Flash kernel with Magisk 14.3 may be ideal - any other confirmations that this is a stable method?

Last edited:

SkiaTheShade

Nov 24, 2017
I'm having this same issue as well! Using Magisk 14.5 1456, with the latest TWRP non-beta, and the Unified Hosts Adblock module. Randomly my phone goes into a soft reboot loop like your describing. If I hard reboot using power + volume up it seems to fix it for a time, then it happens again at a, seemingly, random time. It's crazily frustrating. The only other things I have that involve root are a terminal app, Drives roid, and CoSy to sync Facebook contacts. I also had Substratum using the root method, but I uninstalled that today wondering if that was the cause.

cswithxda

Jan 24, 2012
all over
Hmm not sure if we have the same issue. In my experience, I could not solve the issue and at last only uninstalling Magisk (so the boot image reverted back to stock + TWRP) solved the issue.

SkiaTheShade

Nov 24, 2017
Hmm not sure if we have the same issue. In my experience, I could not solve the issue and at last only uninstalling Magisk (so the boot image reverted back to stock + TWRP) solved the issue.

Were you able to recover from the bootloop at all without uninstalling? For me I was able to force restart it, it would be fine for a few hours then it would bootloop again.

Additionally, I uninstalled Magisk and flashed the stock boot image as well and so far it hasn't come back. I still have TWRP.

cswithxda

Jan 24, 2012
all over
Not at all, hard reset still sees the same reboots over and over, so I had to try something. And the only thing I found was the Magisk uninstaller on the SD card lol. I then uninstalled the Magisk and reinstalled it, and the issue has not come back so far.

Diesel_Jeremiah

Feb 7, 2014
I have 2ea Pixel 2 phones. Work one has the camera removed.
One keeps rebooting while the other does not. I had both of them set up the same.

I've read this is due to the kernel panicking if radio doesn't have signal. How true do you all think this is?

I'm almost ready to full wipe and start from scratch. I cannot RMA it since the camera is removed.

So far I've removed in order: Andromeda, Substratum, TulsaDiver Mods, and AdAway. Since removing AdAway I've not had any reboots, though the night is still young.

Any other things other than removing Magisk?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

SkiaTheShade

Nov 24, 2017
I have 2ea Pixel 2 phones. Work one has the camera removed.
One keeps rebooting while the other does not. I had both of them set up the same.

I've read this is due to the kernel panicking if radio doesn't have signal. How true do you all think this is?

I'm almost ready to full wipe and start from scratch. I cannot RMA it since the camera is removed.

So far I've removed in order: Andromeda, Substratum, TulsaDiver Mods, and AdAway. Since removing AdAway I've not had any reboots, though the night is still young.

Any other things other than removing Magisk?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Interesting about removing AdAway. I had a hosts adblocker as well, I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm still using Magisk 14.3 on 8.1, "Flash" kernel, no issues.
    I'll have to try that. Thanks!
    Do you also get the internal error message after a reboot?

Yes that's a known issue of Magisk and does not affect functionality according to the developer of Magisk.
    I'm getting the same soft reboot bootloop too and I'm completely stock, unrooted, locked bootloader. Factory reset helped but something is causing this and I can't figure out what it is. This has me bummed out.
    So far after removing Magisk 14.5 and flashing the stock boot image, then flashing Magisk 14.6 I have not had any boot loop issues so far! It's been 3 days.
    UPDATE: No bootloop so far! I've updated to Magisk 15.0 as well, and so far no issues at all.