Contrast (true blacks)

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
How well do you know your fifty shades of grey? Rate this thread to express how good the Google Pixel 2's display contrast is. A higher rating indicates that black is true black, rather than a very dark gray.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

mdmogren

Dec 30, 2008
Stuart FL
My screen doesn't look truly black even when the phone is completely powered off. Noticable contrast from the black bezels. Annoying. Is this just how they are? My last several AMOLED screens have been much more true black.

ErikFry

Mar 11, 2011
Oakland/Portland
My screen doesn't look truly black even when the phone is completely powered off. Noticable contrast from the black bezels. Annoying. Is this just how they are? My last several AMOLED screens have been much more true black.

When screens are completely off, the slightly grey dielectric layer is more noticeable. With current technology that layer is never going to be "true black."

The pixel 2 uses a Samsung display, this is the blackest you'll see.

mdmogren

Dec 30, 2008
Stuart FL
When screens are completely off, the slightly grey dielectric layer is more noticeable. With current technology that layer is never going to be "true black."

The pixel 2 uses a Samsung display, this is the blackest you'll see.

On or off, this screen jumps out to me as basically appearing backlit like an LCD, especially from an angle. I have had nothing but oled since 2012 and haven't noticed this on previous phones.

ErikFry

Mar 11, 2011
Oakland/Portland
because they were so cheap and decided not to darken it. cheap move.

uhhh, source please? I've owned a several flagship/midranger LG, Moto and Samsung phones in the past several years and I have never seen a phone where the dielectric layer on OLED displays is pure black.

Regardless this topic is mostly subjective, I can't find any information about display manufactures darkening their dielectric layer.

rootuser11

Dec 12, 2011
uhhh, source please? I've owned a several flagship/midranger LG, Moto and Samsung phones in the past several years and I have never seen a phone where the dielectric layer on OLED displays is pure black.

Regardless this topic is mostly subjective, I can't find any information about display manufactures darkening their dielectric layer.

look at galaxy s8 and v30.

adyscorpius

like I said...it is subjective. Unless you can show proof or any article written specifically about what you are talking about. The Pixel 2 display is a Samsung made OLED.
I think being of the same black colour as the body around the screen gives you a feel that its pure black... Also, the absence of light makes a difference too, with no screen borders visible unlike other LCD phones..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ErikFry

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    like I said...it is subjective. Unless you can show proof or any article written specifically about what you are talking about. The Pixel 2 display is a Samsung made OLED.
    I think being of the same black colour as the body around the screen gives you a feel that its pure black... Also, the absence of light makes a difference too, with no screen borders visible unlike other LCD phones..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk