FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Photo quality

975 posts
Thanks Meter: 897

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 8th October 2017, 12:45 PM | Average Rating:
Post Reply Email Thread
Say "cheese", then rate this thread to express how photos taken with the Google Pixel 2 come out. A higher rating indicates that photos offer rich color (without over-saturating), sharp detail (with all subjects in-focus), and appropriate exposure (with even lighting).

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

8th October 2017, 08:27 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 675

Donate to Me
More
Not taken by the "average consumer" but I have to admit that these picks are AMAZING! Cant wait to have my 2XL in hand to test it out! https://9to5google.com/2017/10/07/go...mples-gallery/

Updated link with Full Res Pics

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...UwVlg2LUZESDhn
22nd October 2017, 01:18 AM |#3  
Flag Oakland/Portland
Thanks Meter: 24

More
I haven't taken more than a few photos, but oh my lord this camera is absolutely awesome. Depth of field trick is snazzy and works perfectly 99% of the time. Color accuracy on photos is mind-blowing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AWwB8R1uW2CQJPBh1
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ErikFry For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ErikFry Ad-Free
31st October 2017, 03:44 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 219

More
Took some sample pictures with Pixel 1 and Pixel 2, compared images on PC, they look identical but some are better on Pixel 1. Pixel 2 colors are more saturated and there is no flare....
31st October 2017, 05:11 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I have been comparing the photos from the Pixel 2 to the iPhone 8 Plus if anyone is interested 😄

Daylight and Night time
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to birch25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift birch25 Ad-Free
1st November 2017, 01:17 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 219

More
Took pictures today after dusk, same thing. Most images look identical to Pixel 1, but when I zoom in I can see that lens on Pixel 1 is a little bit sharper with less noise.
Edit: also noticed that automatic white balancing is off sometimes. Pixel 1 gets it right while Pixel 2 doesn't.

But all negatives are relatively small, I wouldn't say one is better then another
The Following User Says Thank You to kolyan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kolyan Ad-Free
2nd November 2017, 09:07 AM |#7  
Flag Copenhagen
Thanks Meter: 60

More
I don't find the camera miles better than previous phones I've owned (S7, S8, 5s pixel port etc). But it's capable, fast, a good allrounder and DOF mode is okay for a single lens construction. Hdr+ is a joy and considered, that Google don't yet utilize the new chip empowering this function it's FAST.

Sendt fra min Pixel 2 med Tapatalk
4th November 2017, 11:25 PM |#8  
Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 431

More
I have been able to take amazing pictures with the N5,N5X,N6P and now with the Pixel 2.
HDR+ does a great job in all these phones I owned.
The main quality difference between the N5 and the latest 3 I mentioned, are the megapixels. (But HDR+ quality was still solid in the old 5).

They main difference between the 5X/6P and the Pixel 2 is the speed to take photos, launch the camera, focus and process the HDR+ but the quality is really close.

I've decided to stick with HDR+ enhanced (which is similar to the old HDR+ in the Nexus) to minimise the risk of getting unfocused areas that sometimes with the HDR+ are not so detailed. So I'm sacrificing speed to capture photos to try to get always a perfect HDR+ shot.

Sent from my Pixel 2
The Following User Says Thank You to thesebastian For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thesebastian Ad-Free
5th November 2017, 02:08 AM |#9  
Account currently disabled
Flag Seatle
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesebastian

I have been able to take amazing pictures with the N5,N5X,N6P and now with the Pixel 2.
HDR+ does a great job in all these phones I owned.
The main quality difference between the N5 and the latest 3 I mentioned, are the megapixels. (But HDR+ quality was still solid in the old 5).

They main difference between the 5X/6P and the Pixel 2 is the speed to take photos, launch the camera, focus and process the HDR+ but the quality is really close.

I've decided to stick with HDR+ enhanced (which is similar to the old HDR+ in the Nexus) to minimise the risk of getting unfocused areas that sometimes with the HDR+ are not so detailed. So I'm sacrificing speed to capture photos to try to get always a perfect HDR+ shot.

Sent from my Pixel 2

do you think it's better then middle range budget mirrorless camera ?
5th November 2017, 06:39 AM |#10  
Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 431

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianalaqrua

do you think it's better then middle range budget mirrorless camera ?

I don't know because I stopped using cameras for my trips, since I got a Nexus 5 with HDR+ and before that I mostly used the typical compact Sony cyber shot with Carl Zeiss lense.

And I only regret to use smartphone as main camera when I switched from the N5 to Z5 Compact and went to Paris and took ugly photos. Specially nightly photos and closeup photos. This is the main reason I sold that phone after 6 months and went for the 5X.

Probably you can get better details with those cameras you mention. But there are some key features in HDR+ (this is all post processing) that do a lot of magic:

- Focus in most of the areas. (You can focus on a person's face and still capture the details behind a window that points to the street / or the clouds in the sky/ or other faces; as if you had focused directly on that window or clouds).
- More dark skies at night. The night photos look amazing. Nightly skies try to be converted to a more solid dark colour.
- Same good quality with sunny photos that have a lot of sunlight or sun rays and you can't see well trough the camera app when taking the photo because of the high brightness. After HDR+ you could have a good result more opaque.

Other things I like from the latest Google phones cameras:
- Panoramas. Sometimes I take a panorama with just 1 captured image, because of the increased FoV to fit a building. And sometimes you need to take more than 1 because the building still doesn't fit.

- Capture photos when walking: In previous HDR+ Nexus cameras when you press the shutter, camera starts capturing and you can have blurry photos if you were moving. In The Pixel 2 when I press the shutter of the camera (also walking and with HDR+ enhanced) phone camera blocks and take some time to capture to maximize the possibility of a crisp shot. (And if you press the shutter and starts shaking the camera it won't capture till you stop shaking)
So I'm taking photos when I don't have time to stop now.

- Minimum focus distance: I love close-ups / macro shots and the latest Google phones had a good minimum focus distance and mixed with HDR+ the result is amazing.
(The Z5 Compact I owned used to have a wide angle but terrible minimum focus distance I hate this).

What I don't really care is the new portrait mode. You get 2 photos when using it. With blurry unfocused areas and the original with no blur. I think this is only useful for CV photos or some close-ups or special cases. There is a lot of people that loves this feature. I personally prefer the photo that contains more data for 99% of my captures.

Sent from my Pixel 2
The Following User Says Thank You to thesebastian For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thesebastian Ad-Free
5th November 2017, 05:57 PM |#11  
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Absolutely love the camera on my Pixel 2. Below are some examples shot really quickly from The Shard in London.

I had the iPhone 8 plus briefly and although similar, I'd probably say the Pixel 2 is a bit better, I also think the portrait mode is insanely good considering it only has one camera!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00000IMG_00000_BURST20171105144635949_COVER.jpg
Views:	2138
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	4324059   Click image for larger version

Name:	00000IMG_00000_BURST20171105144632447_COVER.jpg
Views:	2170
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	4324060  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)