FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Android Auto compatible music players

1,282 posts
Thanks Meter: 31

By Matterhorn, Senior Member on 24th November 2017, 06:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So far I've found two music players besides Google Music and Spotify that sync with Android Auto. They are RocketPlayer and JetAudio. I uploaded 5 gig of music to my phone in case I'm out of data range for Spotify. Spotify is my preference since the audio streaming bit rate is much better than itunes backups.

25th November 2017, 02:50 AM |#2  
Shuttle works with AA. Edit: works with Automate not AA. Sorry for the confusion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
25th November 2017, 04:49 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousInquisitor

Shuttle works with AA.

I'm running AA on my Pixel 2, when I loaded Shuttle it didn't show up in the AA music menu. Spotify, Rocket Player, Jet Audio, and TuneIn Radio all showed up but not Shuttle. Is there another version that is compatble with AA?
25th November 2017, 05:13 AM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterhorn

I'm running AA on my Pixel 2, when I loaded Shuttle it didn't show up in the AA music menu. Spotify, Rocket Player, Jet Audio, and TuneIn Radio all showed up but not Shuttle. Is there another version that is compatble with AA?

You are correct, Shuttle isn't working with AA. I was using it with Automate Car Dashboard on my last phone not AA.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

@Matterhorn You can sort the playstore by apps that work with AA. Though I dont think it is a comprehensive list.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/c...droid_auto_all
25th November 2017, 06:26 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
I've been trying to set up AA with the best apps etc. both Rocket Player and JetAuio are highly recommended and work with AA, but they each have their own issues. I'm sure they'll get the bugs ironed out in time. AA is relatively new.
25th November 2017, 10:29 PM |#6  
Quote:

I've been trying to set up AA with the best apps etc. both Rocket Player and JetAuio are highly recommended and work with AA, but they each have their own issues. I'm sure they'll get the bugs ironed out in time. AA is relatively new.

I loaded both of those yesterday. The apps are pretty ugly. I don't think I'd use either of those. VLC for Android (beta) works with AA. It has a good layout and there are no adds either. The problem with VLC is it doesn't seem to work with Assistant. You can't say "play Elvis on VLC".

25th November 2017, 11:09 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousInquisitor

I loaded both of those yesterday. The apps are pretty ugly. I don't think I'd use either of those. VLC for Android (beta) works with AA. It has a good layout and there are no adds either. The problem with VLC is it doesn't seem to work with Assistant. You can't say "play Elvis on VLC".

It seems like they all have their issues at the moment. I'm using Rocket Player now because the album art looks better in the AA app. I actually prefer to use Spotify Premium since I have an unlimited data plan, it streams at 320kps. My iTunes backup sounds terrible in comparison to Spotify Extreme quality. I use android assistant with Spotify all the time so I would miss that feature,
25th November 2017, 11:11 PM |#8  
Quote:

It seems like they all have their issues at the moment. I'm using Rocket Player now because the album art looks better in the AA app. I actually prefer to use Spotify Premium since I have an unlimited data plan, it streams at 320kps. My iTunes backup sounds terrible in comparison to Spotify Extreme quality. I use android assistant with Spotify all the time so I would miss that feature,

You can download your Spotify music to your phone for playback when you don't have service.

26th November 2017, 03:25 AM |#9  
Flag Saint Petersburg, FL
Thanks Meter: 902

More
Amazon music works, but only if you download from Google play. Amazon music from the Amazon app store does not work. It's weird... But since I pay for prime already, I like to use it...

26th November 2017, 03:36 PM |#10  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 89

More
My favorite for local music is Sony Music. It takes a little work to get it installed and working though. First you have to find the app on XDA that has been altered to not check your build.prop for a sony device (there are several). I'm using the app from here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/cro...k-rom-t3263403

Then the problem is Android Auto will not work with a sideloaded app. To fix that you need ADB shell:

adb push Sonymusic.apk /sdcard/Download/Sonymusic.apk
adb shell pm install -i "com.android.vending" -r /sdcard/Download/Sonymusic.apk
adb shell rm /sdcard/Download/Sonymusic.apk

Skip the first command if its already on your phone. You need to use the phones package installer for this, so the apk needs to be on the phone somehow. Change the file paths and file names to suit your install.

This works with other sideloaded apps if you're into that sort of thing (Pandora, Spotify, etc) ahem

It's 2 min of work from a computer, but it's the best experience for me. I tried every Android Auto compatible music player I could find. Sony did it right IMO.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dbrohrer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dbrohrer Ad-Free
27th November 2017, 11:00 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrohrer

My favorite for local music is Sony Music. It takes a little work to get it installed and working though. First you have to find the app on XDA that has been altered to not check your build.prop for a sony device (there are several). I'm using the app from here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/cro...k-rom-t3263403

Then the problem is Android Auto will not work with a sideloaded app. To fix that you need ADB shell:

adb push Sonymusic.apk /sdcard/Download/Sonymusic.apk
adb shell pm install -i "com.android.vending" -r /sdcard/Download/Sonymusic.apk
adb shell rm /sdcard/Download/Sonymusic.apk

Skip the first command if its already on your phone. You need to use the phones package installer for this, so the apk needs to be on the phone somehow. Change the file paths and file names to suit your install.

This works with other sideloaded apps if you're into that sort of thing (Pandora, Spotify, etc) ahem

It's 2 min of work from a computer, but it's the best experience for me. I tried every Android Auto compatible music player I could find. Sony did it right IMO.

Hey, thank you for the tip. I just installed the Sonymusic.apk. It is much faster and nicer looking, it behaves very well in AA and remembers where it left off.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)