Anyone returning 3XL to get a OnePlus 6T?

Search This thread

bp328i

May 22, 2010
Tampa Bay

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181102-010422.jpg
    Screenshot_20181102-010422.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 377
  • Screenshot_20181102-010404__01__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20181102-010404__01__01.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 355
  • Screenshot_20181102-010404__01__02.jpg
    Screenshot_20181102-010404__01__02.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:

imna357

Mar 31, 2010
washington, DC
Asus Zenfone 9
That is so weird that you don't have that option there. As you can see in the screenshots I posted above I have the option plus I logged in with my fingerprint.

You got T-Mobile version too, right? I might try factory reset, nothing to do here:D

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

You got T-Mobile version too, right? I might try factory reset, nothing to do here:D

it worked now, uninstall everything and removed fingerprint reboot then register fingerprint and install the apps, it's here:good::D:victory:

Reactions: bp328i

bp328i

May 22, 2010
Tampa Bay
Yes sir, T-Mobile version I picked up today at about 3:30 pm.

You might want to factory reset as I know it does work.

Good luck with it, I have to get some sleep, I'm in Florida and I got to get up at 6 a.m. for work.

Attachments

• IMG_20181102_012005.jpg
    IMG_20181102_012005.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: imna357

walkerx

May 22, 2009
South Yorkshire
What are updates like with OnePlus? I've ordered the 3 XL but Google keep messing me about with my order and had been looking at 6T as half the price of my order from a Google but after getting Huawei mate 10 Pro and P20 Pro which not lack updates in UK, I want a phone I know will receive updates on regular basis not 3, 6 or 12 months later

mgymnop

Jan 17, 2010
San Diego
Was at a T-Mobile store yesterday to look at a One plus 6T. The look and feel is very premium and it is very fast if only the camera would be better....I keep my Pixel 3 XL for sure.

spotmark

Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
I would have kept my Essential phone had the camera been decent. I was psyched to see that the 6T works on Verizon, but then I saw the camera reviews. It's too important a feature to settle for less. I know people will say , "I have a Canon, Nikon, etc for taking pictures", well so do I, but I don't always have it with me. IMO, the Pixels take pictures as good as most point and shoots.

Last edited:

NepoRood

Recognized Contributor / Retired Forum Moderator
I had a plan to get the 6T and compare the two myself, then read some of what other Verizon users experienced. I decided to pass on even testing the 2 side-by-side, no real need to waste the money. The 6T will not suit my needs, I can already tell. Plus, the Pixel 3 has TWRP now, albeit a bit "buggy", but that'll all get worked out in the days to come.

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
I've demoed the OnePlus 6T at T-Mobile and the Pixel 3 XL at Verizon. I would definitely get the OnePlus 6T because OxygenOS has better gestures than the mess Google made with Pie, the extra RAM, smaller notch, and fingerprint on display. The issue is the screen. It completely ruins the experience.

While 1080p LCD displays look great - sharp, crisp, no visible pixels or subpixels, 1080p AMOLEDs are a different story due to the Pentile subpixel arrangement. There are visible black gaps between the subpixels which are perceived as a checkerboard pattern of white pixels on a white screen, and is most noticeable when watching light colored videos. It also shows in the form of jagged text. On black themes the problem is more prevalent, there's visible green bleeding out of the top of text and red on the bottom. Look even closer and the color bleed is jagged, the gaps between bleeding subpixels are visible. For me it's very hard to ignore these because I even notice them day to day on a Galaxy S8+ with a 1440p AMOLED.

The Pixel 3 XL has a 1440p AMOLED so it's much better. Definitely still visible but bearable unlike the OnePlus 6T's 1080p.

If you have a comparison it's easy to see, display an identical UI on a 1080p LCD phone and a 1440p AMOLED phone. Despite being more than twice the pixels, the AMOLED looks less smooth. I'm unable to see any subpixels, color bleed, pixels, gaps, or anything of the like on the 1080p LCD.

The screen is the way to interact with the device, so a bad screen makes a bad phone. At this point the dual front facing speakers, usable vibration motor, better kernel optimization (leading to a smoother phone, I tested the jitter on a friend's personal 3 XL), and camera processing on the Pixel are just a cherry on top. In my opinion this significantly outweighs the FOD of the OnePlus as well.

Development wise, the OnePlus 6T will have more custom kernels and ROMs because the price barrier is lower, leading to more developers buying the device. For comparison, last year's Pixel 2 has less Pie ROMs than the OnePlus 6 released later. However, the few released for Pixels do usually tend to be better and more stable due to the same price barrier.
Kernel development wise, Google definitely wins. OnePlus has hacky vendor patches all over the place. They don't merge CAF very often if at all. They squash all their changes so it's a mess to deal with and merge newer CAF updates. It also doesn't have nearly the optimization Google put the effort in to do. This is what makes Pixel devices so fast. They have EAS (scheduler) updates that improve efficiency and speed. Pixels boot extremely fast as well, making kernel development much less tedious. Last year's Pixel 2 finished booting shortly after the OnePlus 6 started its boot animation. And if you're nitpicking, the codenames are better than OnePlus - blueline for the Pixel 3, crosshatch for the Pixel 3 XL, and bluecross for the unified kernel. Certainly beats OnePlus' enchilada for OnePlus 6, fajita for OnePlus 6T, and no unified name.

That being said, I'd recommend getting the 6T if you don't notice these display issues and don't care about pure Android developer previews ASAP.

Don't take me wrong, this is just my honest opinion on the status of these two devices. They are both solid phones. No doubt, the OnePlus 6T wins in value. If the OnePlus 7 has an upgraded 1440p display it's very likely I would choose that over a Pixel.

Last edited:

imna357

Mar 31, 2010
washington, DC
Asus Zenfone 9
The display really is noticeable, got both as you can see on my screen shots, 3XL is way better, but with multitasking, 6T is way faster, don't know which I going to keep, plus the vibration on the 3XL is way better esp with keyboards

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
Coming from a OnePlus 6 to the 3 XL, there is no way I'm switching to the 6T, for a few reasons:

- The front facing stereo speakers on the 3 XL blow the single bottom facing speaker on my OnePlus 6 out of the water in both clarity and loudness.
- The display sharpness and brightness on my 3 XL is notably better than on my OnePlus 6 and the 6T has the same screen quality as the 6, according to reviews.
- Wireless charging. In 2018, any phone over $500 should have it, in my opinion. Once you get used to wireless charging, wired charging truly feels archaic.
- The camera. The OnePlus 6 camera is good. But the 3 XL camera is on an entirely different level. The portrait mode pictures I took on Halloween of my nephews literally made family member's jaws drop.
- The vibration motor on the 3 XL is significantly better than the one in my OnePlus 6. It's the closest I've felt to my iPhone X from any other Android phone, which is really saying something.

Reactions: wazka2

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
I actually really like my Pixel 3XL, the display is gorgeous, the camera is great, and I get fast updates once a month direct from Google. Plus nice features such as wireless charging and piece of mind with IP68. These aren't must haves, but good to have.

But people are saying the Pixel 3 is nowhere near worth the price, I should only get the OnePlus 6t and almost saying I'm stupid for buying the Pixel over the OnePlus.

Listen I agree the 6T is a great smartphone, and for sure the deal of the year at it's price. But I just prefer my Pixel a little better.

Reactions: blcklab

misiokicio

Jul 4, 2010
Bathgate
I got the Mate 20 Pro and I'm loving it. Previous phone was the Pixel 2 XL and I didn't like the 3 XL as the notch is massive and battery life has gone backwards. The Mate 20 Pro has crazy battery life. I have had 3 hours of SOT and sitting at 75%. If it was the 2 XL I would be down to 50%. Looks like I will be getting 10 hours SOT on the Huawei
This is actually funny, ur sayin ur satisfied comin from pixie, i've mate 20 pro for nearly week and sent it back... Their software is still unpolished, hi search is a pain in the arse, aod no 3rd party support..list goes on, and now screens are made by lg... Which most or all are f....

Reactions: Zorachus

imna357

Mar 31, 2010
washington, DC
Asus Zenfone 9
This is actually funny, ur sayin ur satisfied comin from pixie, i've mate 20 pro for nearly week and sent it back... Their software is still unpolished, hi search is a pain in the arse, aod no 3rd party support..list goes on, and now screens are made by lg... Which most or all are f....

That's a thing about HUAWEI, and the other thing no more UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I actually perceive it as being the better phone, not just in terms of value, better outright. So why didn't I buy that? I used to get a new phone every spring and fall, sometimes more than one during the spring or fall releases. Phones have gotten so good now that I actually kept my 5T for a full year, just couldn't' see anything to buy that felt like a real upgrade. First time since cell phones were a thing and being an old man I go all the back to the beginning when I say that. Anyhow the only reason I got rid of the 5T was because I had become bored with it. I in no way was buying added capability because this phone works no better than the phone it replaced and I knew that going in. The same would would be true of the 6T, it wouldn't have done anything to improve my life day to day. All this means the reason I decided on the Pixel was simply it was out sooner and I was bored with the 5T. If the 6T had been released before this one I would have bought it. Either way I wouldn't have lost sleep, I'd have a great phone that is a pleasure to use and completely capable of handling everything I do with ease.

All that said the bottom line is moving over to the 6T would mean I'd have to hassle with returning this one and getting that one and I don't see it making any difference in my level of satisfaction even if I do think this isn't quite the best phone money can buy for my use case. Come spring though lol, well, you guys know how it goes...
    I've demoed the OnePlus 6T at T-Mobile and the Pixel 3 XL at Verizon. I would definitely get the OnePlus 6T because OxygenOS has better gestures than the mess Google made with Pie, the extra RAM, smaller notch, and fingerprint on display. The issue is the screen. It completely ruins the experience.

While 1080p LCD displays look great - sharp, crisp, no visible pixels or subpixels, 1080p AMOLEDs are a different story due to the Pentile subpixel arrangement. There are visible black gaps between the subpixels which are perceived as a checkerboard pattern of white pixels on a white screen, and is most noticeable when watching light colored videos. It also shows in the form of jagged text. On black themes the problem is more prevalent, there's visible green bleeding out of the top of text and red on the bottom. Look even closer and the color bleed is jagged, the gaps between bleeding subpixels are visible. For me it's very hard to ignore these because I even notice them day to day on a Galaxy S8+ with a 1440p AMOLED.

The Pixel 3 XL has a 1440p AMOLED so it's much better. Definitely still visible but bearable unlike the OnePlus 6T's 1080p.

If you have a comparison it's easy to see, display an identical UI on a 1080p LCD phone and a 1440p AMOLED phone. Despite being more than twice the pixels, the AMOLED looks less smooth. I'm unable to see any subpixels, color bleed, pixels, gaps, or anything of the like on the 1080p LCD.

The screen is the way to interact with the device, so a bad screen makes a bad phone. At this point the dual front facing speakers, usable vibration motor, better kernel optimization (leading to a smoother phone, I tested the jitter on a friend's personal 3 XL), and camera processing on the Pixel are just a cherry on top. In my opinion this significantly outweighs the FOD of the OnePlus as well.

Development wise, the OnePlus 6T will have more custom kernels and ROMs because the price barrier is lower, leading to more developers buying the device. For comparison, last year's Pixel 2 has less Pie ROMs than the OnePlus 6 released later. However, the few released for Pixels do usually tend to be better and more stable due to the same price barrier.
    Kernel development wise, Google definitely wins. OnePlus has hacky vendor patches all over the place. They don't merge CAF very often if at all. They squash all their changes so it's a mess to deal with and merge newer CAF updates. It also doesn't have nearly the optimization Google put the effort in to do. This is what makes Pixel devices so fast. They have EAS (scheduler) updates that improve efficiency and speed. Pixels boot extremely fast as well, making kernel development much less tedious. Last year's Pixel 2 finished booting shortly after the OnePlus 6 started its boot animation. And if you're nitpicking, the codenames are better than OnePlus - blueline for the Pixel 3, crosshatch for the Pixel 3 XL, and bluecross for the unified kernel. Certainly beats OnePlus' enchilada for OnePlus 6, fajita for OnePlus 6T, and no unified name.

That being said, I'd recommend getting the 6T if you don't notice these display issues and don't care about pure Android developer previews ASAP.

Don't take me wrong, this is just my honest opinion on the status of these two devices. They are both solid phones. No doubt, the OnePlus 6T wins in value. If the OnePlus 7 has an upgraded 1440p display it's very likely I would choose that over a Pixel.
    Nope but I'm buying the 6t. I want both of em. Lol
    Nope but I'm buying the 6t. I want both of em. Lol
    I'm in the same boat as you. Not returning my Pixel but I am ordering the 6t tomorrow morning at 9:00am directly from OnePlus.

In addition I'm also using my jump on demand to get rid of my LG v30 and getting a 6t through T-Mobile as well.
    I got the Mate 20 Pro and I'm loving it. Previous phone was the Pixel 2 XL and I didn't like the 3 XL as the notch is massive and battery life has gone backwards. The Mate 20 Pro has crazy battery life. I have had 3 hours of SOT and sitting at 75%. If it was the 2 XL I would be down to 50%. Looks like I will be getting 10 hours SOT on the Huawei