FORUMS

FIXED - Android 10 - Sensors Bug

121 posts
Thanks Meter: 107

By nikhilnangia, Senior Member on 5th September 2019, 08:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
EDIT 5
In addition to the two methods highlighted below, I'm sharing a third method which was brought up in the thread. This one is much easier, however, root is required. This method works for many, however, it is not confirmed by me. Again, no one takes responsibility for this or the previous method.
  • Ask someone with working sensors to share the following folder with you: root/mnt/vendor/persist/sensors. Please ensure the device they have is the same as yours (Pixel 3 (blueline) and Pixel 3 XL (crosshatch) are NOT the same devices). They should, ideally, share it as a *.tar file to keep the permissions of subfiles intact.
    Instructions to generate this tar file are here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/pix...4/post80833171
  • On your rooted phone running Android 10, navigate to: root/mnt/vendor/persist/ and first of all, backup your /sensors/ folder. Then, paste the contents of the tar file in there so you have the sensors folder from the working device that was shared with you.
  • Reboot and report. You should have working sensors now.

EDIT 4
TWRP Developers are working on fixing the root cause of this issue. More details here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=1218

EDIT 3
We now have an update from Google: Here is the email we received (posting it verbatim after redacting any personal or confidential information).

Quote:

We now have a root cause for this issue and a fix will rollout in October.
The short summary is that in Q qualcomm added some checks that prevented sensors from starting when it found corrupted calibration files. In Pi it was more forgiving and continue to function even though the calibration files may have been corrupted. The fix will revert back similar to what Pi was doing. The upside is sensors will continue to work. The downside is, some of the sensors may not function as effectively if the calibration files are corrupted due to external reasons. Regular users who do not touch persist partition would not hit this issue.

Thanks all for your support. Please do let us know if you are seeing any other issues post Android 10 rollout that need attention. We will start ramping up the rollouts next week.

EDIT 2
Thanks to many members of this thread, I am sharing a second method which does not involve flashing a new /persist/ partition that was shared before. This method works for many, however, it is not confirmed by me. Again, no one takes responsibility for this or the previous method.

Steps below (not my work; thanks to others on this thread):
We assume you are on Android 10 for these steps.
  • Backup your current persist partition since you will be changing it. On a rooted adb shell, run dd if=/dev/block/by-name/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img (this will backup your persist to your sdcard)
  • Navigate to root/mnt/vendor/persist and delete the cache folder completely. This stores TWRP's cache and log files and is the root cause of the problem in the first place.
  • Flash Android 9 (PIE) from bootloader. YOU DO NOT NEED TO WIPE your data so you can remove the "-w" flag
  • Let the phone boot (it will bootloop; that is normal) for 2-3 minutes. This step will "fix your broken persist files" according to users
  • Reboot to bootloader and flash Android 10. Again, YOU DO NOT NEED TO WIPE your data, so you may remove the "-w" flag.
  • Reboot and report if this works.

EDIT 1
This issue was fixed. The problem is with the persist partition getting corrupted on some devices. The reasons are not clear, but we have strong reasons to believe this is due to TWRP's implementation of leaving logs and cache files on the /persist partition, which is limited in size. The log files often exceed 20MB in size and cause the sensor config and calibration files to become corrupted on that partition.

Steps to get this fixed:
  • Obtain a working persist.img from someone (it is device specific. You can find the ones for crosshatch and blueline on this thread, but will have to ask someone else for other devices)
  • Replace your persist partition with the persist.img you obtained. This needs to be done using an advanced command (dd) and you need to be on Android 9 in TWRP (rooted) to do this. Read the thread (around page 19) for more details.
  • Flash Android 10 (does not need to be a clean install, but clean install is always recommended).

WARNING: replacing your persist partition with someone else's (even the same device) WILL replace your original, unique factory calibration data with someone else's. This includes audio config files, camera calibration files, sensor calibration files. Backup your original /partition image before doing this and only do this if it is absolutely necessary. You have been warned!

No one on this thread assumes responsibility for anything bad happening to your device. It worked for all of us, but is not guaranteed to work for you. Still no news from Google, who are still investigating.

ORIGINAL THREAD
Starting a new thread here from the old one: https://forum.xda-developers.com/pix...t3963794/page7

What is the problem?
Many users of Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 2 XL and even the OG Pixel are reporting a major bug after upgrading to Android 10. All the sensors seem to be disabled.
This includes Active Edge, Proximity Sensor, Ambient Light Sensor, Auto-brightness, Accelerometer (Auto-rotation, flip to shhh, double tap to wake and lift to wake). All of these are dead on Android 10.

What we know:
Whether we upgrade directly from Android Pie or do a clean install using the factory images does not seem to matter. The issue only affects a certain set of users and only goes away if we revert to Pie. The phone works perfectly then.
Manually erasing all partitions and installing from the image does not work either.
Installing Android 10 individually on partitions A and B does not help either.
Re-locking the bootloader and returning completely to stock does not work either.

The only thing in common for all of us is that we were all rooted and/ or using a custom kernel in the past. However, some others who had been rooted and using custom kernels/ ROMs report they do not face this issue.

Interestingly, for users on the beta program, they started noticing this issue around Beta 6. Post-that, even if they reverted to an older Beta 3,4 or 5 which did not have this problem, they would face this problem after Beta 6. And this is continues with the public version now.

Some users suspect this could be happening due to "something left-over somewhere hidden on the phone." (not verified, but makes sense, in theory)

Coverage
This issue is widely covered now:
https://bgr.com/2019/09/05/android-1...bug-explained/
https://www.androidauthority.com/pix...id-10-1026027/
https://9to5google.com/2019/09/05/pi...rs-android-10/
https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/09/05/p...oid-10-update/
... and many more

Next steps:
If you face this issue, please add your comments and what you have tried here and update the bug on Google's issue tracker that we have filed here:

There is also a help center article on Google's support forum that you can upvote here: https://support.google.com/pixelphon...13511202?hl=en
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nikhilnangia For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nikhilnangia Ad-Free
5th September 2019, 09:51 PM |#2  
Flag Tulsa
Thanks Meter: 4

More
So the 3A and 3A XL aren't affected? I have 10 on mine now after sideloading the OTA last night and aside from the 20 minute reboot cycle, I've seen no problems as of yet.
5th September 2019, 10:08 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Paris, France

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie

So the 3A and 3A XL aren't affected? I have 10 on mine now after sideloading the OTA last night and aside from the 20 minute reboot cycle, I've seen no problems as of yet.

No idea about the other models. I've just posted the ones that I could find on forums, including mind (3XL).

There is something in common here for everyone that we seem to be missing. In the interest of getting to the root of it, I am posting my pre-android 10 update configuration:
Pixel 3XL, hardware model MP1.0
Rooted with magisk 19.3
Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: Kirisakura Kernel v3.4.5
Magisk modules installed: youtube vanced, busybox, energized, systemless hosts, zRAM/ SWAP manager to enable zram
Apart from this, I had naptime installed working in root mode
And tweaked a few kernel settings: color settings, changed scheduler for graphics, zram compression algorithm and I/O scheduler.

Anyone else facing this problem see something in common?
5th September 2019, 10:16 PM |#4  
Flag Riverside
Thanks Meter: 263

More
That is sooooo weird... I've never seen that on my phone
The Following User Says Thank You to i42o For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift i42o Ad-Free
5th September 2019, 10:41 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 69

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilnangia

Interestingly, for users on the beta program, they started noticing this issue around Beta 6. Post-that, even if they reverted to an older Beta 3,4 or 5 which did not have this problem, they would face this problem after Beta 6. And this is continues with the public version now.

I would rather say this is related to the bootloader that after flashing beta 6 doesn't get downgraded when returning to an older beta version or even Pie. Since only a part of the users is affected I would guess that a specific hardware revision doesn't play nice with Android 10. As I am not affected I can't do further testing and you should take what I wrote above as an educated guess .
5th September 2019, 10:48 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Paris, France

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinista82

I would rather say this is related to the bootloader that after flashing beta 6 doesn't get downgraded when returning to an older beta version or even Pie. Since only a part of the users is affected I would guess that a specific hardware revision doesn't play nice with Android 10. As I am not affected I can't do further testing and you should take what I wrote above as an educated guess .

Thanks for the ideas! I can confirm that the hardware version is not the problem since some others with the same hardware version as myself (MP1.0 - which can be checked on About Phone->Hardware) do NOT face this issue.

As far as the bootloader goes, that's certainly plausible. @ultimatepichu and @FcukBloat has any of you tried this? i.e change the bootloader version to an older version and flash 10?
6th September 2019, 12:14 AM |#7  
Flag Hsinchu City
Thanks Meter: 175

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilnangia

As far as the bootloader goes, that's certainly plausible. @ultimatepichu and @FcukBloat has any of you tried this? i.e change the bootloader version to an older version and flash 10?

the first thing in flash-all is to send the bootloader to the phone . But even if the bootloader is not downgraded, then I should get sensor problem in Pie as well right?

But no, I didn't try what you said.
The Following User Says Thank You to ultimatepichu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ultimatepichu Ad-Free
6th September 2019, 12:28 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 63

More
After majorly screwing up my first attempt to jump from Pie to 10, I finally made it, and sure enough, I am a victim of this bug as well.

On an unrelated note, for the Magisk users out there, attached is the patched boot.img across 4 RAR archives for the Pixel 3 XL 10.0.0 (QP1A.190711.020, Sep 2019) image to save you some time making one yourself.

The SHA-256 hash for the image contained across the archives is:
Code:
dbdc828777fd8b734986998d0732c1c4e3e565fc66499c310f3a23c85abe383b
The Following User Says Thank You to David B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift David B. Ad-Free
6th September 2019, 01:14 AM |#9  
Just listening... can't figure this one out too...in the GSI build I found a Qualcomm driver for sensors for Crosshatch, but I don't know how to flash it, downloaded the bin and Qualcomm installer but afraid to go thru it might kill my phone. I do an average a day of flashing, my phone might get crazyπŸ˜πŸ˜†πŸ˜…

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

Me and FCUCKBloat has been discussing this since beta 6 came out. All my sensors used to work on beta 5, with kernels and TWRP installed, but after I tried flashing custom ROM and eventually beta6 came out flashed it thru fastboot, regular update and so on, sensors won't worked anymore. So, I decided to go back to beta 5 but sadly sensors don't worked anymore, when it used to worked before.
The Following User Says Thank You to imna357 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift imna357 Ad-Free
6th September 2019, 04:37 AM |#10  
Flag Selayang
Thanks Meter: 238

Donate to Me
More
This happened to me since Pie. And Google seem doesn't do anything about it.
httpss://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/3086868?hl=en
The Following User Says Thank You to saxmydix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift saxmydix Ad-Free
6th September 2019, 05:40 AM |#11  
installed the GSI BUILD 10 from google and all sensors are working, flash it came from Bootleggers ROM. The only thing I can't find is the gesture Nav, maybe someone can help me activate it, so far all the sensors, dark mode are working.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android 10, android q, bug, sensors

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)