FORUMS

Battery Drain

174 posts
Thanks Meter: 20
 
By karikian, Senior Member on 19th October 2018, 06:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
First of all. I truly hate the battery drain threads, as I never had issues with it before.
I've had all pixels xl, and most of the nexus phones.

With the pixel line, I had never been so happy with battery, specially pixel 2 xl. Battery would last 1.5 to 2 days for me (I am very conservative in usage)

However, with the 3 xl, at the end of the day yesterday, I had 39%> This was a day I did not use the phone except for 10 sms, quick stock checks, 2 emails, no phone calls, 15 minutes of music with bt headphones in the metro.

Last night, I put it in safe mode, charged it. TODAY, I took away from the charger at 6am, checked emails, back in the pocket. At 8 am, I had 90%.
Removed from safe mode at 8 am. Checked some messages, spoke for 10 minutes over the phone, checked emails and stocks. It is now 9:20am and my battery is at 80%

Not good. I am really disappointed.

Could I have a defective unit? Am I spoiled with my excellent pixel 2 xl? I did see one youtuber complaining about his battery.

I am afraid mine is defective. If not, I want to go back to the pixel 2 xl.
If you have yours, and had a pixel 2 xl, please let me know how you feel about it please!

Thanks

UPDATE 12/17/18: Nothing really changed much. Pixel 3 XL is horrible with the battery when compared to Pixel 2 XL. What a disappointment in this phone, all over the place. Battery, Buggy, Notch, Audio Recording, Video Recording, Face Unlock, Gestures, etc. What a waste of hard earned money. Of all Pixels and Nexus, this is together with the Nexus 6, the most I have been disappointed.

I truly love these phones, what they represent and all, but after years with the 'google phones', it might be time to try something else.... seriously.... with this phone, the fact that I still did not receive a $50 credit from google, and all these $300 discounts, with free pixel wireless charger and pixel earphones, after 2 months from launch, it makes me extremely disappointed of being an early adopter. Next year I am definitely waiting until January, after reading all reviews and trying it out first before I buy, or just getting a different brand phone.

I am very disappointed this time around.
The Following User Says Thank You to karikian For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift karikian Ad-Free
19th October 2018, 06:41 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Hmm I haven't noticed that yet on mine. So far the standby drain has been pretty solid. I haven't had a lot of time to test it obviously, but so far it isn't standing out as an issue for me yet.
19th October 2018, 06:46 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by largeselection

Hmm I haven't noticed that yet on mine. So far the standby drain has been pretty solid. I haven't had a lot of time to test it obviously, but so far it isn't standing out as an issue for me yet.

Hopefully I will have more responses like yours. If I do I will just exchange the phone with a new one. My unit is really draining fast. From my original post to now, with standby and NO USE of the phone, I am down 2% to 78% (I am using a desktop with the forum).

Thank you.
19th October 2018, 07:20 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 27
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karikian

Hopefully I will have more responses like yours. If I do I will just exchange the phone with a new one. My unit is really draining fast. From my original post to now, with standby and NO USE of the phone, I am down 2% to 78% (I am using a desktop with the forum).

Thank you.

Before you exchange it, you might try conditioning the battery. Use it until it dies, fully charge it, use it again until it dies, and then one more cycle. If you .are still observing issues after that, then definitely return it.

I only suggest this as conditioning the battery is likely easier than an RMA.
19th October 2018, 07:42 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtharp2

Before you exchange it, you might try conditioning the battery. Use it until it dies, fully charge it, use it again until it dies, and then one more cycle. If you .are still observing issues after that, then definitely return it.

I only suggest this as conditioning the battery is likely easier than an RMA.

I just spoke to customer service. They told me to factory reset and try again. When I mentioned that it got ward when setting up the phone, they even offered a device replacement, but I told them I am willing to try the factory re-set. I will try this and then your suggestion, kill 2 birds with the same shot.

I am so disappointed, really am... but alright, let's try this again!!!
19th October 2018, 11:24 PM |#6  
TheBobMiller's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Gainesville, GA
Thanks Meter: 385
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karikian

I just spoke to customer service. They told me to factory reset and try again. When I mentioned that it got ward when setting up the phone, they even offered a device replacement, but I told them I am willing to try the factory re-set. I will try this and then your suggestion, kill 2 birds with the same shot.

I am so disappointed, really am... but alright, let's try this again!!!

Sounds defective to me. 2nd day of having it I got 8 hours screen on time and it went 18 hours before needing a charge. Good luck though...I'm honestly super impressed with this phone and want everyone to have the same experience!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181018-234828.png
Views:	1562
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	4622742  
19th October 2018, 11:36 PM |#7  
Golf c's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 731
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobMiller

Sounds defective to me. 2nd day of having it I got 8 hours screen on time and it went 18 hours before needing a charge. Good luck though...I'm honestly super impressed with this phone and want everyone to have the same experience!

Thats what I got on my second charge. I got more on Pixel 2XL in the beginning of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to Golf c For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Golf c Ad-Free
20th October 2018, 01:35 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobMiller

Sounds defective to me. 2nd day of having it I got 8 hours screen on time and it went 18 hours before needing a charge. Good luck though...I'm honestly super impressed with this phone and want everyone to have the same experience!

When did you turn on the battery saver? From the beginning? At the end?
I did reset to factory, now am waiting for it to fully drain and will try again tomorrow... let's see how it goes...

Thank you!!
21st October 2018, 06:52 PM |#9  
TheBobMiller's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Gainesville, GA
Thanks Meter: 385
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karikian

When did you turn on the battery saver? From the beginning? At the end?
I did reset to factory, now am waiting for it to fully drain and will try again tomorrow... let's see how it goes...

Thank you!!

Battery saver automatically came on at 15%. I was actually shocked that I got that much SO time with it. Haven't gotten quite that again but close.
22nd October 2018, 06:15 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobMiller

Battery saver automatically came on at 15%. I was actually shocked that I got that much SO time with it. Haven't gotten quite that again but close.

Thanks. I did recycle the battery, did the factory reset, etc, still having issues. Google is shipping me a new phone Hopefully that will help.

I did see some videos on youtube of people complaining about the battery life, also notice an article that shows that Pixel 2 XL lasts about 1:20 hours more than the 3 XL. Pretty disappointing...
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Goog...-life_id110162

But still, mine is performing way worse than that. Let's see what the new phone will give me... Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to karikian For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift karikian Ad-Free
23rd October 2018, 04:34 AM |#11  
Member
Thanks Meter: 18
 
Donate to Me
More
Restricting Pixel Ambient Service from running in the background helped a little for me and I haven't noticed it interfering with anything yet. Ambient Display seems like it uses more battery on the 3 XL than on my old 2 XL. I didn't even know you could restrict the Pixel Ambient Service but you can. I also don't use Adaptive Battery because it doesn't make a difference in battery for me.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes