Battery Drain

Search This thread

karikian

Jan 25, 2007
First of all. I truly hate the battery drain threads, as I never had issues with it before.
I've had all pixels xl, and most of the nexus phones.

With the pixel line, I had never been so happy with battery, specially pixel 2 xl. Battery would last 1.5 to 2 days for me (I am very conservative in usage)

However, with the 3 xl, at the end of the day yesterday, I had 39%> This was a day I did not use the phone except for 10 sms, quick stock checks, 2 emails, no phone calls, 15 minutes of music with bt headphones in the metro.

Last night, I put it in safe mode, charged it. TODAY, I took away from the charger at 6am, checked emails, back in the pocket. At 8 am, I had 90%.
Removed from safe mode at 8 am. Checked some messages, spoke for 10 minutes over the phone, checked emails and stocks. It is now 9:20am and my battery is at 80%

Not good. I am really disappointed.

Could I have a defective unit? Am I spoiled with my excellent pixel 2 xl? I did see one youtuber complaining about his battery.

I am afraid mine is defective. If not, I want to go back to the pixel 2 xl.
If you have yours, and had a pixel 2 xl, please let me know how you feel about it please!

Thanks

UPDATE 12/17/18: Nothing really changed much. Pixel 3 XL is horrible with the battery when compared to Pixel 2 XL. What a disappointment in this phone, all over the place. Battery, Buggy, Notch, Audio Recording, Video Recording, Face Unlock, Gestures, etc. What a waste of hard earned money. Of all Pixels and Nexus, this is together with the Nexus 6, the most I have been disappointed.

I truly love these phones, what they represent and all, but after years with the 'google phones', it might be time to try something else.... seriously.... with this phone, the fact that I still did not receive a $50 credit from google, and all these $300 discounts, with free pixel wireless charger and pixel earphones, after 2 months from launch, it makes me extremely disappointed of being an early adopter. Next year I am definitely waiting until January, after reading all reviews and trying it out first before I buy, or just getting a different brand phone.

I am very disappointed this time around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ksehwail

largeselection

Dec 22, 2010
NYC
Hmm I haven't noticed that yet on mine. So far the standby drain has been pretty solid. I haven't had a lot of time to test it obviously, but so far it isn't standing out as an issue for me yet.

karikian

Jan 25, 2007
Hmm I haven't noticed that yet on mine. So far the standby drain has been pretty solid. I haven't had a lot of time to test it obviously, but so far it isn't standing out as an issue for me yet.

Hopefully I will have more responses like yours. If I do I will just exchange the phone with a new one. My unit is really draining fast. From my original post to now, with standby and NO USE of the phone, I am down 2% to 78% (I am using a desktop with the forum).

Thank you.

wtharp2

Aug 7, 2004
Dallas
Hopefully I will have more responses like yours. If I do I will just exchange the phone with a new one. My unit is really draining fast. From my original post to now, with standby and NO USE of the phone, I am down 2% to 78% (I am using a desktop with the forum).

Thank you.

Before you exchange it, you might try conditioning the battery. Use it until it dies, fully charge it, use it again until it dies, and then one more cycle. If you .are still observing issues after that, then definitely return it.

I only suggest this as conditioning the battery is likely easier than an RMA.

karikian

Jan 25, 2007
Before you exchange it, you might try conditioning the battery. Use it until it dies, fully charge it, use it again until it dies, and then one more cycle. If you .are still observing issues after that, then definitely return it.

I only suggest this as conditioning the battery is likely easier than an RMA.

I just spoke to customer service. They told me to factory reset and try again. When I mentioned that it got ward when setting up the phone, they even offered a device replacement, but I told them I am willing to try the factory re-set. I will try this and then your suggestion, kill 2 birds with the same shot.

I am so disappointed, really am... but alright, let's try this again!!!

TheBobMiller

Oct 8, 2009
Gainesville, GA
I just spoke to customer service. They told me to factory reset and try again. When I mentioned that it got ward when setting up the phone, they even offered a device replacement, but I told them I am willing to try the factory re-set. I will try this and then your suggestion, kill 2 birds with the same shot.

I am so disappointed, really am... but alright, let's try this again!!!
Sounds defective to me. 2nd day of having it I got 8 hours screen on time and it went 18 hours before needing a charge. Good luck though...I'm honestly super impressed with this phone and want everyone to have the same experience!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181018-234828.png
    Screenshot_20181018-234828.png
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,605

karikian

Jan 25, 2007
Sounds defective to me. 2nd day of having it I got 8 hours screen on time and it went 18 hours before needing a charge. Good luck though...I'm honestly super impressed with this phone and want everyone to have the same experience!

When did you turn on the battery saver? From the beginning? At the end?
I did reset to factory, now am waiting for it to fully drain and will try again tomorrow... let's see how it goes...

Thank you!!

TheBobMiller

Oct 8, 2009
Gainesville, GA
When did you turn on the battery saver? From the beginning? At the end?
I did reset to factory, now am waiting for it to fully drain and will try again tomorrow... let's see how it goes...

Thank you!!
Battery saver automatically came on at 15%. I was actually shocked that I got that much SO time with it. Haven't gotten quite that again but close.

karikian

Jan 25, 2007
Battery saver automatically came on at 15%. I was actually shocked that I got that much SO time with it. Haven't gotten quite that again but close.

Thanks. I did recycle the battery, did the factory reset, etc, still having issues. Google is shipping me a new phone :( Hopefully that will help.

I did see some videos on youtube of people complaining about the battery life, also notice an article that shows that Pixel 2 XL lasts about 1:20 hours more than the 3 XL. Pretty disappointing...
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Pixel-3-vs-Pixel-3-XL-battery-life_id110162

But still, mine is performing way worse than that. Let's see what the new phone will give me... Thank you!

Reactions: TheBobMiller

westside80

Aug 21, 2016
Restricting Pixel Ambient Service from running in the background helped a little for me and I haven't noticed it interfering with anything yet. Ambient Display seems like it uses more battery on the 3 XL than on my old 2 XL. I didn't even know you could restrict the Pixel Ambient Service but you can. I also don't use Adaptive Battery because it doesn't make a difference in battery for me.

karikian

Jan 25, 2007
Restricting Pixel Ambient Service from running in the background helped a little for me and I haven't noticed it interfering with anything yet. Ambient Display seems like it uses more battery on the 3 XL than on my old 2 XL. I didn't even know you could restrict the Pixel Ambient Service but you can. I also don't use Adaptive Battery because it doesn't make a difference in battery for me.

I will try that.

I had a definitive test today, while I wait for my new phone.
From 9 AM, and fully charged phones, I got the following after 4 hours and 30 minutes:

PIXEL 2 XL: 96%
PIXEL 3 XL: 73%

VERY disappointing... Thumbs down to my new phone... :(

awilson1818

Oct 17, 2018
I will try that.

From 9 AM, and fully charged phones, I got the following after 4 hours and 30 minutes:

Wow...that's significantly different!!! I've had SOT of 2:55 today and have 35% left? I honestly expected better battery life than my old s7 edge...

karikian

Jan 25, 2007
Wow...that's significantly different!!! I've had SOT of 2:55 today and have 35% left? I honestly expected better battery life than my old s7 edge...

Exactly my point... the new phone should really have better battery life... :(
If my replacement behaves the same way, I will have to wait with my 2 XL for another year...

Seiga

May 3, 2009
I will try that.

This almost sounds like an Adaptive Battery issue. After a week of playing with this device, it has picked up on my habits and the battery performance started getting better over time.

Reactions: MArtyChubbs

Badger50

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Im getting 0.8%/hr standby and 10%/hr screen on. Is that OK?

The great kernel developer known as Flar2 once told me that if your active drain is under 12% and your idle drain is under 1%....your doing good. :good:

westside80

Aug 21, 2016
The great kernel developer known as Flar2 once told me that if your active drain is under 12% and your idle drain is under 1%....your doing good. :good:

My active drain is 11.8 and my standby is 1.8. The AOD is definitely using more battery on the 3 XL than it did on the 2 XL. I wish I still had my 2 XL so I could test them side by side.

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA Labs

Reactions: MArtyChubbs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Im getting 0.8%/hr standby and 10%/hr screen on. Is that OK?

Originally posted this... nothing really changed much. Pixel 3 XL is horrible with the battery when compared to Pixel 2 XL. What a disappointment in this phone, all over the place. Battery, Buggy, Notch, Audio Recording, Video Recording, Face Unlock, Gestures, etc. What a waste of hard earned money. Of all Pixels and Nexus, this is together with the Nexus 6, the most I have been disappointed.

I truly love these phones, what they represent and all, but after years with the 'google phones', it might be time to try something else.... seriously.... with this phone, the fact that I still did not receive a $50 credit from google, and all these $300 discounts, with free pixel wireless charger and pixel earphones, after 2 months from launch, it makes me extremely disappointed of being an early adopter. Next year I am definitely waiting until January, after reading all reviews and trying it out first before I buy, or just getting a different brand phone.

I am very disappointed this time around.
    Thanks. That's good to know. I really respect flar2.
    Thats what I got on my second charge. I got more on Pixel 2XL in the beginning of course.
    Hello guys
    I'm looking to change my OnePlus 6t for a pixel 3xl.
    I'm already tried the Pixel 3 but I returned it because battery life was very bad.
    Is the pixel 3 XL does have a better battery life than the pixel 3 ? And compare to the OnePlus ?
    Some reviews are report different conclusions about battery life and drain and I prefer have a real opinion from users

The battery on the xl is not great and I have AOD off. The pixel 2 xl had better battery than the 3 xl. I would not recommend this phone if battery is a concern.