FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Let's Finally Solve This Call Quality Issue

1,667 posts
Thanks Meter: 366

By PuffDaddy_d, Senior Member on 10th January 2019, 06:31 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Many of you have seen the multiple threads on multiple forums about the call quality issues with the Pixel 3 and 3XL, so I won't dig into that any further. Instead, I am asking if those who have issues can list the signal strength as reported by your device in the area where the call issues occur?

For example, my wife and I only had call issues at our house, where both of our devices registered -115 dBm of signal strength. This was not a problem for our Pixel 2's. When calling from my job, the issue was far less frequent and the signal strength is approximately -100 dBm. Finally, we received a signal booster from our carrier for the house and the call issues went away completely, measuring -80 dBm.

Based on this, I can only assume the Pixel 3's hardware is not holding on to signals as well as other phones and I need your help determining if the problems go away above a certain signal strength threshold.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Open the stock phone dialer app
2. Enter the test menu by dialing *#*#4636#*#*
3. Select "Phone Information"
4. Find the "Signal Strength" line and report the value you see.

Once again, please only list yours from an area where you experience consistent call quality issues.
10th January 2019, 07:15 PM |#2  
Flag Marche_Marotta (PU)
Thanks Meter: 591

Donate to Me
More
Hi,I'm having call quality issues on my Pixel 3 with -108 dBm of signal strength
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMorpheus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheMorpheus Ad-Free
10th January 2019, 07:34 PM |#3  
Flag TORONTO
Thanks Meter: 72

Donate to Me
More
My third pixel xl. All 3 of them never had call issues. Other issues yes. Thankfully calling is good
10th January 2019, 10:14 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 106

More
Semi-related question. I'm on Project Fi. When I check the Phone Info "wifi calling provisioned" appears to be off and greyed out. When I check Settings it's enabled. My wifi signal is very strong, I'm sitting about 10 ft from the router. Not sure how to interpret that "provisioned" status. Also, wifi calling could theoretically mess up the stats from your cell signal strength data.
14th January 2019, 01:44 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I have had my pixel 3xl for a week now,
And I must report that for me there have been no call quality issues whatsoever.
I'm on 3 (UK)
16th January 2019, 05:12 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Signal strength: -84 dBm to 56 asu what does it mean?
16th January 2019, 02:06 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 164

More
I don't really have any call issues but my signal is 115-118 inside my house
16th January 2019, 03:51 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1,103

More
If you're in an area with poor signal and you're using VoLTE the static noise/buzzing will occur . It's been pinpointed as a baseband/kernel issue the version on the 3/3XL's are incompatible with certain towers. In areas with good signal the buzzing/static won't be there over cell. If you're in an area with poor/mediocre service turn off VoLTE and to make calls on 3G and there will be no buzzing. Sadly the issue still persists with WiFi calling though.
The Following User Says Thank You to zetsumeikuro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zetsumeikuro Ad-Free
16th January 2019, 05:55 PM |#9  
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 857

Donate to Me
More
I have more drop calls on this device then any other. Mostly driving, gotta be tower issues. My other phone didn't have this issue, but I'm with Verizon now I was with Sprint.
17th January 2019, 06:27 AM |#10  
Tmobile -109 no bad call quality and decent data when not in super old building.
17th January 2019, 04:13 PM |#11  
Flag Silicon Valley
Thanks Meter: 113

More
-105 for me
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)