FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

TWRP 3.2.3-2 for Pixel 3

1,705 posts
Thanks Meter: 13,534

Post Reply Email Thread
MTP does not work in TWRP on the Pixel 3 and will not work until we have time to update the TWRP MTP implementation. You may still use adb to push and pull files.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, you will need to reflash root.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

3.2.3-0: Initial release for the Pixel 3 devices

Pixel 3:
https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel3.html
https://dl.twrp.me/blueline/

Pixel 3 XL:
https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel3xl.html
https://dl.twrp.me/crosshatch/
The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to Dees_Troy For This Useful Post: [ View ]

2nd November 2018, 04:06 AM |#2  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag KC MO
Thanks Meter: 13,534

Donate to Me
More
Reserved.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dees_Troy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd November 2018, 04:56 AM |#3  
Recognized Themer
Reno, NV
Thanks Meter: 14,064

Donate to Me
More
You are the man! Cant believe we have TWRP this early! Just in time for the next OTA!
2nd November 2018, 05:06 AM |#4  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1,592

Donate to Me
More
Thank you for this! Great work, it feels like an early Christmas!
2nd November 2018, 08:31 AM |#5  
Recognized Themer
Reno, NV

Donate to Me
More
All set up with TWRP and rooted again,,even made a back up,,,awesome job to the dev!
2nd November 2018, 02:30 PM |#6  
Flag Arizona
Thanks Meter: 142

More
Thanks you!
2nd November 2018, 05:35 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Is anyone having the touchscreen not work after a reboot?
2nd November 2018, 09:43 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel

All set up with TWRP and rooted again,,even made a back up,,,awesome job to the dev!

I got twrp up and running on my Pixel 3, but when try to install magisk 17.3 via twrp it says it completes but just bootloops. And I have to restore again. How did you go about it?
2nd November 2018, 09:49 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 393

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by code_311

On the Pixel 2 XL touch was broken unless you used a custom kernel. I guess it's the same on 3. If you boot TWRP using fastboot it should allow touchscreen.
2nd November 2018, 10:53 PM |#10  
Recognized Themer
Reno, NV

Donate to Me
More
You would think after buying the Pixel 1, 2 and 3 I would have this whole A/B slot thing down pat but I dont LOL. That did the same thing for me too. I just rebooted into recovery and flashed TWRP again and it has been fine since. I think sometimes it switches slots and that causes the bootloop. I messed around with changing slots and I think I am on slot A and all if fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrnicgeuy633

I got twrp up and running on my Pixel 3, but when try to install magisk 17.3 via twrp it says it completes but just bootloops. And I have to restore again. How did you go about it?

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

I had that happen I think once and I just rebooted back into TWRP and it was fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_311

2nd November 2018, 11:21 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Hey guys - I'm a pixel noob and have a quick question about TWRP/Magisk.

I was rooted before TWRP came out so I flashed the stock boot images back to slots A and B. Then I followed steps 2-12 of the following article to install both Magisk and TWRP using temp TWRP. https://www.xda-developers.com/googl...r-root-magisk/

My question is... when I was temp booted into TWRP, and installed the Magisk zip file, it only said that it installed to slot A. But when I was rooted before TWRP released I remember I had to flash the patched boot image to both slots. So using the process I followed, do I have one slot rooted and the other not? If so, is that a problem? Phone seems to work perfectly and root is working.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've always been a HTC guy but I'm trying
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
recovery, team win, twrp

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)