FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Pixel 3 Speakerphone issues?

37 posts
Thanks Meter: 6
 
By stl-fan, Member on 29th November 2018, 12:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I got my Pixel 3 unlocked from Google a couple of days ago. I really love the phone, but oddly, every time that I call my wife and I'm on speaker, it always takes 8-10 seconds for her to be able to hear me. This happens with no one else, as I've called multiple people on speaker. Google offered to RMA the device, but I'm not convinced that it's a hardware issue. If it's a software issue that will likely be fixed in the future, I will just keep this one. I'm not entirely sure what to make of it, but I don't really want to go through the RMA process just for it to continue happening. Has anyone else had similar experiences? From what I can see on Reddit and elsewhere, it appears to be a rather commonplace issue. I just can't justify waiting for another device to solve a wide spread problem. If it was a fluke issue, then a factory replacement wouldn't make me nervous. I think that I am just going to return the device for a full refund and wait for something else to come out. Sucks though, because I otherwise loved this phone.
 
 
3rd December 2018, 03:54 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 54
 
More
I have noticed this as well. I try to talk over the speaker and the person on the other end can't hear me for a little bit. I might try to RMA the phone. How'd you go about talked to Google Support about the issue? A phone call, chat or email?
3rd December 2018, 08:01 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman1080

I have noticed this as well. I try to talk over the speaker and the person on the other end can't hear me for a little bit. I might try to RMA the phone. How'd you go about talked to Google Support about the issue? A phone call, chat or email?

I was using the chat service, it worked fine. I haven't RMA'd the device. I went and got a new SIM card from AT&T and it seems better. I did tons of test calls to other people on different carriers and it only ever happened with my wife, who is in Verizon. For that reason, I don't think there is a hardware issue with my device, but I don't know what it might be.
4th December 2018, 02:18 PM |#4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman1080

I have noticed this as well. I try to talk over the speaker and the person on the other end can't hear me for a little bit. I might try to RMA the phone. How'd you go about talked to Google Support about the issue? A phone call, chat or email?

I figured it out while I was messing with it yesterday. Turn off HD voice. "enhanced LTE" in the network settings menu and that fixes it. I am on AT&T and had great connectivity with same carrier subscribers, Sprint, and others. I tried calling multiple friends with Verizon and had the issue every time. So I just turned it off.
4th December 2018, 02:56 PM |#5  
carlos_polanco's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 45
 
10
More
Update: it looks like December update fix my issue. Will update again if something happen

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This speakerphone issue is happening to me using TMobile and also using Whatsapp calls.

I noticed this issue because the phone is also not connecting to my Honda Civic 2016 Bluetooth and tried using the speakers.

I'll wait for December 2018 update and make lot of test before I contact Google.

I'm using the regular Pixel 3 white.
The Following User Says Thank You to carlos_polanco For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift carlos_polanco Ad-Free
1st January 2019, 11:36 AM |#6  
Archangel's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Reno, NV
Thanks Meter: 14,153
 
Donate to Me
More
I have the same issue,,,when I first get a call and answer it with speakerphone no one can hear me for a few seconds then if I toggle speaker off then back on it works okay??
3rd January 2019, 06:04 PM |#7  
Member
NYC
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stl-fan

I figured it out while I was messing with it yesterday. Turn off HD voice. "enhanced LTE" in the network settings menu and that fixes it. I am on AT&T and had great connectivity with same carrier subscribers, Sprint, and others. I tried calling multiple friends with Verizon and had the issue every time. So I just turned it off.

Doesn't this remove the ability to use group chats?

I got my wife the Pixel 3 at launch and we're on the 3rd phone because of this issue and it's still happening. It only happens on speakerphone (not regular) and her speakers seem to be fine which makes me think it's software and not hardware.
3rd January 2019, 08:47 PM |#8  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deblas66

Doesn't this remove the ability to use group chats?

I got my wife the Pixel 3 at launch and we're on the 3rd phone because of this issue and it's still happening. It only happens on speakerphone (not regular) and her speakers seem to be fine which makes me think it's software and not hardware.

I agree with you. I think I'm still having issues with it even without it on. My wife is still saying it sounds like I'm in a tunnel any time I'm on speaker. I hope they get this resolved, and ASAP.
3rd January 2019, 08:49 PM |#9  
Member
NYC
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stl-fan

I agree with you. I think I'm still having issues with it even without it on. My wife is still saying it sounds like I'm in a tunnel any time I'm on speaker. I hope they get this resolved, and ASAP.

Me too. I did some serious searching and it is a more major problem than I thought.

https://productforums.google.com/for...hone-by-google
4th January 2019, 09:39 AM |#10  
Archangel's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Reno, NV
Thanks Meter: 14,153
 
Donate to Me
More
I am wondering if anyone has tried turning off the wifi calling option? I havent tried that yet as it is the only thing I havent tried to see if my phone doesnt have problems when first answering a call with the phones speakerphone and people on the other end not being able to hear me for the first few seconds? I saw in a Google thread that there may be a problem with the handoff of wifi to actual LTE calling and it makes it difficult for the phones speaker to know where to apply the sound to? I dont have a sim in my phone currently so I am wondering anyone else tried this to see?
4th January 2019, 06:13 PM |#11  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel

I am wondering if anyone has tried turning off the wifi calling option? I havent tried that yet as it is the only thing I havent tried to see if my phone doesnt have problems when first answering a call with the phones speakerphone and people on the other end not being able to hear me for the first few seconds? I saw in a Google thread that there may be a problem with the handoff of wifi to actual LTE calling and it makes it difficult for the phones speaker to know where to apply the sound to? I dont have a sim in my phone currently so I am wondering anyone else tried this to see?

I've had WiFi Calling and VoLTE disabled for a while now - still garbage call quality on speakerphone.
The Following User Says Thank You to stl-fan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stl-fan Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes