FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Stuck on Dark Theme

369 posts
Thanks Meter: 107

By spielnicht, Senior Member on 23rd October 2018, 12:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
All of a sudden my phone decided to enable the dark theme yesterday and I can't get it to go back to the light theme. I did not change my wallpaper - still on the default actually.

I've tried forcing it to go light under Settings > Display > Theme > Light but to no avail.

Anyone else running into this? How do I resolve without being forced into resetting the entire phone?

23rd October 2018, 02:34 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 6,065

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht

All of a sudden my phone decided to enable the dark theme yesterday and I can't get it to go back to the light theme. I did not change my wallpaper - still on the default actually.

I've tried forcing it to go light under Settings > Display > Theme > Light but to no avail.

Anyone else running into this? How do I resolve without being forced into resetting the entire phone?

Try changing wall papers and reboot a few times.
23rd October 2018, 02:51 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag DC

More
Just tried that, but no luck.

The strange thing is that it's only the quick settings panel and volume/power panel. Folders are showing up correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger50

Try changing wall papers and reboot a few times.

24th October 2018, 02:57 AM |#4  
Flag Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I also have the same issue. I had mine set to auto and it randomly switched over to dark.
24th October 2018, 03:15 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I've been on dark theme since I got my Pixel 3 but this morning I switched it to automatic and my app drawer, and Google discover feed turned white based on my wallpaper but the volume UI as well as quick tiles stayed black. I switched for forced white, rebooted several times and it's still not completely white as it's supposed to be. Hope someone comes up with a solution.
24th October 2018, 03:44 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kansas City

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMasterASD

I've been on dark theme since I got my Pixel 3 but this morning I switched it to automatic and my app drawer, and Google discover feed turned white based on my wallpaper but the volume UI as well as quick tiles stayed black. I switched for forced white, rebooted several times and it's still not completely white as it's supposed to be. Hope someone comes up with a solution.

I really don't know if this will help, but, have you tried removing or adding some of the QS icons and then rebooting. What the heck, worth a try I reckon.
24th October 2018, 03:47 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger50

I really don't know if this will help, but, have you tried removing or adding some of the QS icons and then rebooting. What the heck, worth a try I reckon.

That was a good suggestion, I also thought of that and unfortunately it didn't work. When you pull down QS and click the edit button there is even a reset option in the top right which I tried as well. Changed wallpapers several times, rebooted the phone both regularly as well as into safe mode. Still stays in dark theme. It has to be something server side Google accidentally did similar to recently when they accidentally switched all Pixel phones to battery saver mode over night. Who knows, hoping it gets fixed soon.
24th October 2018, 03:52 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kansas City

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMasterASD

That was a good suggestion, I also thought of that and unfortunately it didn't work. When you pull down QS and click the edit button there is even a reset option in the top right which I tried as well. Changed wallpapers several times, rebooted the phone both regularly as well as into safe mode. Still stays in dark theme. It has to be something server side Google accidentally did similar to recently when they accidentally switched all Pixel phones to battery saver mode over night. Who knows, hoping it gets fixed soon.

Bummer man. Hopefully the googleites will get it resolved for you all. If your bootloader unlocked, have you tried fastbooting the factory image. Or, factory resetting?
24th October 2018, 08:56 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag DC

More
I'm glad I'm not alone. I ended up resetting the phone. Hopefully a fix is in the works cause I ain't resetting again.
25th October 2018, 06:47 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht

Just had this issue this morning.
I figured it out that, if you go into Android Messages app, and disable Dark theme in that app, then the System UI changes back to the Light theme, (if that is what is selected, or should be using based on wallpaper)

I have already reported this to Google, and they had an engineer work with me to get a Bug Report sent to them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joppinator For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Joppinator Ad-Free
26th October 2018, 11:25 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag DC

More
OMG you're right. I just tried it. Looks like the Messenger update pushed last night to my phone doesn't address the issue yet.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)