FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Unlocked pixel 3 at bestbuy same as from google? For use on ATT.

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
 
By jcar302, Junior Member on 11th August 2019, 01:46 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys, now that the pixel 3 is $500, i think i'm ready.
I figure it should hold me over until 5g is ready in my area. I don't feel they need right now to drop $1300 on a 5g phone that won't get any 5g for a long time.

During internet searches i find conflicting info on whether or not an the unlocked pixel 3 at best buy is unbranded and unlocked or just unlocked.
I use ATT and prefer my phone not be branded to any carrier.
Which if i'm reading right is the way google sells them.
But some say the unlocked one at best buy is really a verizon version, just unlocked.

I'm going on vacation in a week, so just driving over and buying it would speed things up. I'd like to have a week to make sure all as good as for i'm not bringing 2 phones with me. Also time to get silicone case to protect it.

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks,
Joe

BTW, if this has been covered before and you know where to find the thread, just please link me.
I keep coming up with pixel and pixel 2 answers, not the 3.
 
 
11th August 2019, 02:16 PM |#2  
bobby janow's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,734
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar302

Hey guys, now that the pixel 3 is $500, i think i'm ready.
I figure it should hold me over until 5g is ready in my area. I don't feel they need right now to drop $1300 on a 5g phone that won't get any 5g for a long time.

During internet searches i find conflicting info on whether or not an the unlocked pixel 3 at best buy is unbranded and unlocked or just unlocked.
I use ATT and prefer my phone not be branded to any carrier.
Which if i'm reading right is the way google sells them.
But some say the unlocked one at best buy is really a verizon version, just unlocked.

I'm going on vacation in a week, so just driving over and buying it would speed things up. I'd like to have a week to make sure all as good as for i'm not bringing 2 phones with me. Also time to get silicone case to protect it.

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks,
Joe

BTW, if this has been covered before and you know where to find the thread, just please link me.
I keep coming up with pixel and pixel 2 answers, not the 3.

Buy it from Google. Save yourself a lot of aggravation in the long run. If you can't get it in time then either have it shipped to where you'll be or wait until you get home.
11th August 2019, 02:55 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby janow

Buy it from Google. Save yourself a lot of aggravation in the long run. If you can't get it in time then either have it shipped to where you'll be or wait until you get home.

I can live with the waiting if need be. (although it would be nice to take pics of the kids with something alot less beat than my s7)
But out of curiosity, any particular reason you feel this way?
11th August 2019, 04:30 PM |#4  
sliding_billy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag North Texas
Thanks Meter: 331
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar302

Hey guys, now that the pixel 3 is $500, i think i'm ready.
I figure it should hold me over until 5g is ready in my area. I don't feel they need right now to drop $1300 on a 5g phone that won't get any 5g for a long time.

During internet searches i find conflicting info on whether or not an the unlocked pixel 3 at best buy is unbranded and unlocked or just unlocked.
I use ATT and prefer my phone not be branded to any carrier.
Which if i'm reading right is the way google sells them.
But some say the unlocked one at best buy is really a verizon version, just unlocked.

I'm going on vacation in a week, so just driving over and buying it would speed things up. I'd like to have a week to make sure all as good as for i'm not bringing 2 phones with me. Also time to get silicone case to protect it.

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks,
Joe

BTW, if this has been covered before and you know where to find the thread, just please link me.
I keep coming up with pixel and pixel 2 answers, not the 3.

The Verizon deal for $499.99 is only if activated on Sprint. They sell an "activate later" phone that should be unbranded since it is not available on an installment plan, but that is $599.99. The one with in-store AT&T activation may or may not be branded and is $549.99 Notice the "starting at" $499.99 disclaimer on the main phone page. Either way, if branding (or lack of) is important to you I would want to see it come out of the box in person. Also keep in mind that none of these are definitely the same as the Google version with unlockable bootlader. They might be, but only way to find out for sure is to try unlocking or to at least see the imei number to get an idea.

https://www.bestbuy.com/wireless/tra...ts=1#/carriers

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-...?skuId=6319226
11th August 2019, 06:05 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
You are looking at the xl.
No big deal, but I just want the 3. (i was starting to wonder if i was crazy, since my page said $399 activated now and $499 no activation)
Regardless, if there is confusion or a chance i won't get an unmolested pixel 3, i'll order straight from google.
Any clue how fast google gets you a phone? I'd hope they have regional distributors.
Thanks,
Joe
11th August 2019, 07:02 PM |#6  
bobby janow's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,734
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar302

You are looking at the xl.
No big deal, but I just want the 3. (i was starting to wonder if i was crazy, since my page said $399 activated now and $499 no activation)
Regardless, if there is confusion or a chance i won't get an unmolested pixel 3, i'll order straight from google.
Any clue how fast google gets you a phone? I'd hope they have regional distributors.
Thanks,
Joe

Do not buy from Best Buy if you care about a "clean" unbranded phone. That's all there is to it. Get it from Google for $499 and wait for it and forget the pics if you can't get it in time. Unless you can have them send it to your vacay location depending on your travel plans. Don't bother looking at a device in BB before you buy it. They are each and every one branded with restrictions across the board. Not sure about local distributors most are sent from Illinois.
12th August 2019, 03:26 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby janow

Do not buy from Best Buy if you care about a "clean" unbranded phone. That's all there is to it. Get it from Google for $499 and wait for it and forget the pics if you can't get it in time. Unless you can have them send it to your vacay location depending on your travel plans. Don't bother looking at a device in BB before you buy it. They are each and every one branded with restrictions across the board. Not sure about local distributors most are sent from Illinois.

Thanks for all the advice, i ordered through google this morning.
Says delivery 14-15th so that's not too bad.
I'm also not feeling real guilty about $500. Phones have gotten so expensive, but the reality is that i only go on the internet, make phone calls and use apps that control other devices. Not really some kind of power user and i'd bet any phone feels good coming from a 3+ year old s7.
Just didn't want something $1000+
The Following User Says Thank You to jcar302 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcar302 Ad-Free
13th August 2019, 10:08 AM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis' west side
Thanks Meter: 1,000
 
More
I bought from Best Buy, it's the same as the one sold from Google. It's unlocked with an unlockable bootloader and I use it on VZW. There's a lot of misinformation in this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to jakdillard For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jakdillard Ad-Free
13th August 2019, 02:00 PM |#9  
bobby janow's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,734
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakdillard

I bought from Best Buy, it's the same as the one sold from Google. It's unlocked with an unlockable bootloader and I use it on VZW. There's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

That's entirely possible but, unfortunately, BB sales people are basically clueless when it comes to those issues. What about the eSim is that available as well on the device you bought?

There have been too many horror stories coming out of the BB buying experience so unless you know exactly what you're looking for and can look at the device before purchase then it is best to avoid the possibility of failure. I'm also not sure about the RMA experience at BB. I know if you buy it from Google and something goes wrong they will advance ship you a replacement. Then you can transfer and send back your old phone with no downtime. Does BB offer that as well if you don't buy the $9/month warranty service? If BB says you have to replace it through Google then the device is not the same since you have to send back the old one before they ship you a replacement. If you're buying an unlocked phone I don't see any reason to buy it from any place other than Google.

The Google devices have an IMEI that begins with 99. If yours is that then you have a Google device. If not then it's not the same.
13th August 2019, 06:25 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis' west side
Thanks Meter: 1,000
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby janow

That's entirely possible but, unfortunately, BB sales people are basically clueless when it comes to those issues. What about the eSim is that available as well on the device you bought?

There have been too many horror stories coming out of the BB buying experience so unless you know exactly what you're looking for and can look at the device before purchase then it is best to avoid the possibility of failure. I'm also not sure about the RMA experience at BB. I know if you buy it from Google and something goes wrong they will advance ship you a replacement. Then you can transfer and send back your old phone with no downtime. Does BB offer that as well if you don't buy the $9/month warranty service? If BB says you have to replace it through Google then the device is not the same since you have to send back the old one before they ship you a replacement. If you're buying an unlocked phone I don't see any reason to buy it from any place other than Google.

The Google devices have an IMEI that begins with 99. If yours is that then you have a Google device. If not then it's not the same.

Man look esim✓ unlocked phone✓ unlockable bootloader✓ IMEI 990✓ SKU GA00457-US✓ it's the same phone. I don't post much anymore, but at one point in time I used to be a ROM developer. I know phones very well. Also just as to see the box, all the info you need is on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jakdillard For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jakdillard Ad-Free
13th August 2019, 07:08 PM |#11  
bobby janow's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,734
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakdillard

Man look esim✓ unlocked phone✓ unlockable bootloader✓ IMEI 990✓ SKU GA00457-US✓ it's the same phone. I don't post much anymore, but at one point in time I used to be a ROM developer. I know phones very well. Also just as to see the box, all the info you need is on it.

That's good information for us, thanks. I'd not seen that posted here before, at least not in the entirety like you just did.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes