FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Let's Finally Solve This Call Quality Issue

1,650 posts
Thanks Meter: 351

By PuffDaddy_d, Senior Member on 10th January 2019, 05:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Many of you have seen the multiple threads on multiple forums about the call quality issues with the Pixel 3 and 3XL, so I won't dig into that any further. Instead, I am asking if those who have issues can list the signal strength as reported by your device in the area where the call issues occur?

For example, my wife and I only had call issues at our house, where both of our devices registered -115 dBm of signal strength. This was not a problem for our Pixel 2's. When calling from my job, the issue was far less frequent and the signal strength is approximately -100 dBm. Finally, we received a signal booster from our carrier for the house and the call issues went away completely, measuring -80 dBm.

Based on this, I can only assume the Pixel 3's hardware is not holding on to signals as well as other phones and I need your help determining if the problems go away above a certain signal strength threshold.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Open the stock phone dialer app
2. Enter the test menu by dialing *#*#4636#*#*
3. Select "Phone Information"
4. Find the "Signal Strength" line and report the value you see.

Once again, please only list yours from an area where you experience consistent call quality issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to PuffDaddy_d For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PuffDaddy_d Ad-Free

10th January 2019, 06:37 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 120

More
-105dbm 35asu
The Following User Says Thank You to acidspider For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift acidspider Ad-Free
10th January 2019, 07:58 PM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 5,428

Donate to Me
More
I have -100dbm, 40asu and haven't had issues. I might have once.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
10th January 2019, 09:17 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston, TX

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

I have -100dbm, 40asu and haven't had issues. I might have once.

Yes, we know not everyone has the issue. I'm asking that only people who do have the issue to report their signal strength in the area where the issue occurs most frequently. No need to report if you don't have issues at that won't help us find a pattern.
10th January 2019, 10:05 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
I don't make or receive a huge amount of calls. But have had several reports of poor quality, maybe half the time, in my dining room..

From this location currently it reports the following.

-107 dBm 33asu..

I will test this again directly after a next poor quality call for comparison. Currently on the hunt for a new job, thus expecting a greater volume of calls going forward so would be great to get to the bottom of this.

For reference I use a case, but have not tried any of the other suggestions mentioned elsewhere on xda
The Following User Says Thank You to woahnelly For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift woahnelly Ad-Free
10th January 2019, 10:38 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 5,428

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffDaddy_d

Yes, we know not everyone has the issue. I'm asking that only people who do have the issue to report their signal strength in the area where the issue occurs most frequently. No need to report if you don't have issues at that won't help us find a pattern.

Just seems to me that it would be good to know at what threshold there isn't a problem. If you're collecting data it's better to get more than less. It's hard to go back if down the road your theory changes based on the data you're seeing. Believe me, I've been down that road before.

The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jd1639 Ad-Free
11th January 2019, 12:14 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston, TX

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

Just seems to me that it would be good to know at what threshold there isn't a problem. If you're collecting data it's better to get more than less. It's hard to go back if down the road your theory changes based on the data you're seeing. Believe me, I've been down that road before.

Yeah, i see what you're saying, but if you're not having any issues ever, then your device only skews the data. But if your device works properly at x dbm but doesn't at y dbm, then that would be great to know!
11th January 2019, 09:03 PM |#8  
Flag Windsor, ON
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffDaddy_d

Many of you have seen the multiple threads on multiple forums about the call quality issues with the Pixel 3 and 3XL, so I won't dig into that any further. Instead, I am asking if those who have issues can list the signal strength as reported by your device in the area where the call issues occur?

For example, my wife and I only had call issues at our house, where both of our devices registered -115 dBm of signal strength. This was not a problem for our Pixel 2's. When calling from my job, the issue was far less frequent and the signal strength is approximately -100 dBm. Finally, we received a signal booster from our carrier for the house and the call issues went away completely, measuring -80 dBm.

Based on this, I can only assume the Pixel 3's hardware is not holding on to signals as well as other phones and I need your help determining if the problems go away above a certain signal strength threshold.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Open the stock phone dialer app
2. Enter the test menu by dialing *#*#4636#*#*
3. Select "Phone Information"
4. Find the "Signal Strength" line and report the value you see.

Once again, please only list yours from an area where you experience consistent call quality issues.

-113 dBm 4G (Telus, Ontario Canada @ home) static, background interference

-62 dBm 3G (Telus, Ontario Canada @ home) no issues

That was taking shortly before I sent my Pixel 3 in for RMA on Jan. 3

Also note Pixel (2016) same location no issues
-112 dBm 4G

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyRebel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JohnnyRebel Ad-Free
14th January 2019, 06:37 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 402

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRebel

-113 dBm 4G (Telus, Ontario Canada @ home) static, background interference

-62 dBm 3G (Telus, Ontario Canada @ home) no issues

That was taking shortly before I sent my Pixel 3 in for RMA on Jan. 3

Also note Pixel (2016) same location no issues
-112 dBm 4G

Interesting. I'm on Bell and turned off VoLTE (Enhanced LTE services) and I think that static, background interference is gone. I already RMA'd my Pixel 3 for this issue and the second one I got (brand new in box) is exactly the same.
I've never dropped a call. This is my only issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to milan187 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift milan187 Ad-Free
15th January 2019, 03:05 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
-115 dBm 25 asu
15th January 2019, 07:28 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
On Koodo (Canada). -101dBm 37aus.

x2 Pixel 3 in the household, both having same issues. Previous phones were iPhones 6s Plus and 7 Plus with no issues while making calls from home
The Following User Says Thank You to brazoue For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift brazoue Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)