FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ GUIDE ] [ ANDROID 10 ROOT ] [ HOW TO ] Patching Boot.img with Magisk Canary

221 posts
Thanks Meter: 83

By ibolito, Senior Member on 4th September 2019, 01:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here's how to root the Pixel 3 running on the latest official and stock Android 10 release (firmware QP1A.190711.020)
step by step :

(not tested on Pixel 3 XL but it might work the same, just use the right firmware for your device)

What do you need :
> Pixel 3 phone with latest Android 10 Build (QP1A.190711.020)
> Unlocked bootloader on your Pixel device
> Latest ADB and FASTBOOT tools on your computer

1 ) Download the latest Android 10 factory image for your device ("Blueline" is the regular Pixel 3) :
Link > 10.0.0 (QP1A.190711.020, Sep 2019)

2 ) Extract the "boot.img" file on your phone

3 ) Download Magisk Manager application on your phone and install it :
Link > can not provide link please go to the Magisk manager website and go to section download.

4 ) Open Magisk Manager app and add the Canary Channel :
> Go to Settings > Update Channel > Custom and then add this URL : https://raw.githubusercontent.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/master/canary_builds/canary.json

5 ) Restart the Magisk app (close the app from the multi-tasking window and launch it again) and it should now ask you to update Magisk Manager to the Canary channel (very important, this tutorial doesn't work with stable or beta Magisk Manager app. At this date (september 4th 2019) the latest Canary build is 7.3.3-a6126c5e (232)

6 ) Press on the Install Magisk button (the one on the top, not the Magisk Manager), then Install > Select and Patch a File and now select the Boot.img file you extracted earlier. When the process is done, just put the patched boot.img file on your computer in the same folder as your ADB and FASTBOOT tools, the file's name is magisk_patched

7 ) Enable adb debugging on your Pixel phone and connect it to your computer via USB.
Open a command prompt on your computer and migrate to the folder where the ADB and Fastboot tools are located.
(for exemple, for me it's : cd C:\\adb).

8 ) Reboot your phone to fastboot by typing adb reboot bootloader

9 ) Flash the Boot.img you just patched with magisk by typing fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img

10 ) When i'ts done, reboot by typing fastboot reboot

11 ) Open your Magisk Manager app and chek if everything is good, and it should be ! You can now install Adaway after you enable Systemless root in the Magisk settings and rebooting your phone.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to ibolito For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ibolito Ad-Free

4th September 2019, 01:36 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 170

More
Great guide, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibolito

11 ) Open your Magisk Manager app and chek if everything is good, and it should be ! You can now install Adaway after you enable Systemless root in the Magisk settings.

I would just add not to forget to reboot again after enabling Systemless hosts in the Magisk settings and before installing Adaway (or after installing any other module)
4th September 2019, 01:38 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Marseille

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafforosso

Great guide, thanks!

I would just add not to forget to reboot again after enabling Systemless hosts in the Magisk settings and before installing Adaway (or after installing any other module)

Thanks its done!
4th September 2019, 02:17 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I get a "This site can't be reached" message when I click the link for magisk manager in step 3. Not sure if anyone else sees it.

Thank you for making this guide!
4th September 2019, 04:36 PM |#5  
Flag Waukesha, WI
Thanks Meter: 132

More
Thanks, works perfectly!
4th September 2019, 08:54 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 47

Donate to Me
More
I think my boot.img was not patched successfully. The original file has 64 mb while the patched one has only 30 mb. I've already pdated to Android 10. When I try to path the boot.img I get the following error: FAILED (remote: Not allowed to flash (bootb))
Could anyone please send me his patched boot.img?
4th September 2019, 10:56 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Marseille

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberbergler

I think my boot.img was not patched successfully. The original file has 64 mb while the patched one has only 30 mb. I've already pdated to Android 10. When I try to path the boot.img I get the following error: FAILED (remote: Not allowed to flash (bootb))
Could anyone please send me his patched boot.img?

Don't worry the new patched boot.img is 30mb, that's absolutely normal. Make sure you have unlocked your bootloader and that your phone's firmware matches the one you used to extract the boot.img. And also make sure your files are all in the same folder (adb and fastboot files + patched boot.img) and, most important of all, check if your platform tools (adb and fastboot) are up to date, then tell us if you managed to make it work.
The Following User Says Thank You to ibolito For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ibolito Ad-Free
5th September 2019, 02:34 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
If I updated via ota adb side load to 10. But used the boot.img from the factory image, would this explain why it did boot, however not one app would start. The system ui would then crash. Just trying to figure out where I screwed up. Thank you.
5th September 2019, 06:07 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 47

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibolito

Don't worry the new patched boot.img is 30mb, that's absolutely normal. Make sure you have unlocked your bootloader and that your phone's firmware matches the one you used to extract the boot.img. And also make sure your files are all in the same folder (adb and fastboot files + patched boot.img) and, most important of all, check if your platform tools (adb and fastboot) are up to date, then tell us if you managed to make it work.

Thanks man Everything was right but I forgot to update adb and fastboot. Now I have root
5th September 2019, 06:12 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
ignore me -- im idiot.
5th September 2019, 07:29 AM |#11  
Flag Tokyo
Thanks Meter: 66

More
i am not sure if my pixel 3 is really rooted. all the apps requiring root says they are granted root access, but, for example, i cannot modify system files with a root file manager at all unlike i could with android 9. how can i confirm it is surely rooted?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android 10 root, android q root, pixel 3 root, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)