By PuffDaddy_d, Senior Member on 13th October 2018, 01:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th October 2018, 12:44 PM |#11  
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 210

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsauder2

I tried to patch the boot.img through the magisk app and then flash that through fastboot. Flashed successfully but would not boot.

I have noticed that as soon as I unlocked the bootloader I fail safety net. Has that always been the case even without any system modifications?

From what I understand that is the case, unless you use Magisk to "cloak" and "fool" the apps into thinking it isn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eudeferrer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Eudeferrer Ad-Free
19th October 2018, 12:49 PM |#12  
Flag Savoy, IL
Thanks Meter: 307

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudeferrer

From what I understand that is the case, unless you use Magisk to "cloak" and "fool" the apps into thinking it isn't.

Guess I've not tried using my phone unlocked without magisk in awhile...
19th October 2018, 03:49 PM |#13  
Flag Southern IL USA
Thanks Meter: 259

More
Quote:

I have noticed that as soon as I unlocked the bootloader I fail safety net. Has that always been the case even without any system modifications?

No, my Nexus 5 running LineageOS has always passed with Magisk and unlocked bootloader (and Pay, etc. works).
The Following User Says Thank You to CSX321 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CSX321 Ad-Free
19th October 2018, 03:54 PM |#14  
Flag Savoy, IL
Thanks Meter: 307

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX321

No, my Nexus 5 running LineageOS has always passed with Magisk and unlocked bootloader (and Pay, etc. works).

Does it pass when it's unlocked but doesn't have magisk though? That's what I was wondering. This is really the first time I've had a phone unlocked without root (since it doesn't work yet), so I've never actually thought about that until now.
19th October 2018, 04:00 PM |#15  
Flag Southern IL USA
Thanks Meter: 259

More
Quote:

Does it pass when it's unlocked but doesn't have magisk though? That's what I was wondering. This is really the first time I've had a phone unlocked without root (since it doesn't work yet), so I've never actually thought about that until now.

Ah, good question. I don't know. I've always had my phone unlocked and rooted.
19th October 2018, 04:00 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 365

More
Quote:

I want to say that it was relatively recently (maybe in the last 2-2.5 years) where if you only unlocked the bootloader, it would fail SafetyNet. For a while, you had to flash a kernel on top of unlocking the bootloader to pass SafetyNet.
The Following User Says Thank You to tysj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tysj Ad-Free
19th October 2018, 05:30 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysj

I want to say that it was relatively recently (maybe in the last 2-2.5 years) where if you only unlocked the bootloader, it would fail SafetyNet. For a while, you had to flash a kernel on top of unlocking the bootloader to pass SafetyNet.

My experience is if I unlock bootloader, I fail SafetyNet unless Magisk is installed. Sometimes after a reboot, I still fail until I load the Magisk app and have it check once. Then the phone is fine again.

As to the original question: I installed the newest beta of Magisk on my Pixel 3 XL, downloaded the factory boot.img from Google and patched it using the app. Flashing to my active boot slot caused fastboot to complain about no valid boot images. Flashing the original boot.img allowed the phone to start normally again.
The Following User Says Thank You to imsaguy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift imsaguy Ad-Free
19th October 2018, 09:11 PM |#18  
Flag Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 246

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsaguy

My experience is if I unlock bootloader, I fail SafetyNet unless Magisk is installed. Sometimes after a reboot, I still fail until I load the Magisk app and have it check once. Then the phone is fine again.

As to the original question: I installed the newest beta of Magisk on my Pixel 3 XL, downloaded the factory boot.img from Google and patched it using the app. Flashing to my active boot slot caused fastboot to complain about no valid boot images. Flashing the original boot.img allowed the phone to start normally again.

confirmed same results on Pixel 3 (non XL)
The Following User Says Thank You to marc.ientilucci For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift marc.ientilucci Ad-Free
20th October 2018, 12:34 AM |#19  
Bridgewater, VA
Thanks Meter: 378

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I tried to patch the boot.img through the magisk app and then flash that through fastboot. Flashed successfully but would not boot.

Yeah that's always been the case with unlocked bootloader
20th October 2018, 05:24 AM |#21  
Recognized Themer
Reno, NV
Thanks Meter: 14,176

Donate to Me
More
Now thats great news,,yeah i just saw root for the Pixel 3 on his Twitter!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronzy

He just rooted the 3XL according to his Twitter. Release this weekend maybe?... Dude wasted no time, absolute machine.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)