By PuffDaddy_d, Senior Member on 13th October 2018, 01:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th July 2019, 04:22 AM |#311  
Flag Southern IL USA
Thanks Meter: 259

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rczrider

Anyone having trouble with latest Magisk (19.3) and the latest ROM (July security patch)? I can successfully flash Magisk by booting (not installing) TWRP and flashing it there, but I get stuck when there's one unsuccessful boot attempt, a restart, and I end up in Android Recovery with the "Can't load Android system" message and the only options of trying again or doing a factory reset.

I can restore to stock using fastboot commands and removing the "-w" flag keeps my data intact, but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get Magisk to work with the latest factory image. I've tried flashing in a different slot and in both slots. Same problem.

Thoughts?

I had something similar happen a couple of months ago. Try running the Magisk uninstaller, then actually install TWRP using the ramdisk method, then install Magisk again from within TWRP. Once I'd done that, it fixed whatever the problem was, and I've been able to go back to my normal update procedure since then.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSX321 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CSX321 Ad-Free
4th July 2019, 04:31 AM |#312  
Flag Markarth
Thanks Meter: 506

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX321

I had something similar happen a couple of months ago. Try running the Magisk uninstaller, then actually install TWRP using the ramdisk method, then install Magisk again from within TWRP. Once I'd done that, it fixed whatever the problem was, and I've been able to go back to my normal update procedure since then.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see if that takes care of it. I really haven't been keeping up with things, so I wasn't even aware of the direct install / ramdisk option available in TWRP 3.3.0+.

Nor did it occur to me to run the Magisk Uninstaller prior to re-rooting, though I can (sort of) see how that might be helpful since I'm not doing a data wipe. I saw a suggestion in a crosshatch thread about uninstalling Magisk Manager, too, just in case.

I'll report back with the steps and results. Thanks again!
4th July 2019, 04:41 AM |#313  
Flag Southern IL USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rczrider

Nor did it occur to me to run the Magisk Uninstaller prior to re-rooting, though I can (sort of) see how that might be helpful since I'm not doing a data wipe. I saw a suggestion in a crosshatch thread about uninstalling Magisk Manager, too, just in case.

It normally isn't necessary to uninstall either one, and I haven't needed to since, but then it was the only way I was able to recover from whatever was wrong. Back then I had switched channels several times, between release, beta, and canary, so I probably messed something up at some point.
4th July 2019, 01:15 PM |#314  
Flag Markarth
Thanks Meter: 506

More
Quote:

It normally isn't necessary to uninstall either one, and I haven't needed to since, but then it was the only way I was able to recover from whatever was wrong. Back then I had switched channels several times, between release, beta, and canary, so I probably messed something up at some point.

Well, whatever caused it, you were right! I don't know if all of the steps were necessary, but here's what I did and it worked:
  1. uninstall the Magisk Manager app
  2. reboot to recovery
  3. boot TWRP IMG via fastboot
  4. flash Magisk Uninstaller ZIP
  5. wipe Dalvik
  6. flash Magisk ZIP
  7. wipe Dalvik
  8. reboot system (did not install TWRP)
Thanks and repped!
24th July 2019, 10:38 PM |#315  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I used TWRP and Magisk on my Pixel 3 with success. Magisk 19.0 TWRP 3.2.0.
24th July 2019, 10:43 PM |#316  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
I've stopped using TWRP because I don't do much that needs it, and as of now we don't know how to make it work with Q.

It is so ridiculously easy to just flash the magisk patched boot -- install a kernel that went wrong and in a boot loop? Just flash it on to your phone again. And you can even do it within Android if you don't ahve a reboot problem

it's just great
3rd September 2019, 11:59 PM |#317  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Hey peops
After the March Update, I didn't bother updating my P3, because that command-line stuff always gave me sweaty palms
Now with the release of Android 10, that is of course another story. I would love to update, but want to keep root (YT Vanced, Adaway, Active Edge). Last time I updated, I did it following the step-by-step instructions of CSX321.
Can I do that with the Android 10 Version? Or do I have to wait for a new Magisk-Version? Thanks for your replies!
4th September 2019, 12:09 AM |#318  
Flag Southern IL USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgs_town

Hey peops
After the March Update, I didn't bother updating my P3, because that command-line stuff always gave me sweaty palms
Now with the release of Android 10, that is of course another story. I would love to update, but want to keep root (YT Vanced, Adaway, Active Edge). Last time I updated, I did it following the step-by-step instructions of CSX321.
Can I do that with the Android 10 Version? Or do I have to wait for a new Magisk-Version? Thanks for your replies!

I'd like to know, too! I'm 10 time zones away from home right now and don't have a computer. I'm hoping someone has tried it by the time I get back. I suspect the Active Edge module will need to be disabled and updated for Android 10, because it patches a system file or something, doesn't it?
I did see that @sliding_billy said he installed the 10 update just as if it were any other monthly update, and was still able to root it, but he didn't say how he installed Magisk.
4th September 2019, 07:25 AM |#319  
Flag North Texas
Thanks Meter: 407

More
Quote:

I'd like to know, too! I'm 10 time zones away from home right now and don't have a computer. I'm hoping someone has tried it by the time I get back. I suspect the Active Edge module will need to be disabled and updated for Android 10, because it patches a system file or something, doesn't it?
I did see that @sliding_billy said he installed the 10 update just as if it were any other monthly update, and was still able to root it, but he didn't say how he installed Magisk.

I installed the canary manager build (no debug installed from APK) the day before and had it completely running on the canary channel where it took a build of Magisk . When the Android 10 build came out, I installed with flash-all (minus -w). I rooted with patched boot.img. This phone (my P3) does not have Active Edge installed, but yes I would absolutely disable that module and not enable until there was a known working version. I might not even be comfortable then without a working TWRP to use the Magisk uninstaller if you get looped. I am using a custom ROM on the 3 XL, so no Active Edge module there (or 10 yet) either.
The Following User Says Thank You to sliding_billy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sliding_billy Ad-Free
4th September 2019, 07:40 AM |#320  
Flag Southern IL USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy

I installed the canary manager build (no debug installed from APK) the day before and had it completely running on the canary channel....

Thanks for the info! P.S. Get some sleep! Isn't it 1:30am there?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to CSX321 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CSX321 Ad-Free
4th September 2019, 07:45 AM |#321  
Flag North Texas
Thanks Meter: 407

More
Quote:

Thanks for the info! P.S. Get some sleep! Isn't it 1:30am there?!?

It is, but it's a new day. I slept for a few hours and woke back up at 2330. Good for another 18 hours
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)