Magisk for Pixel 3

Search This thread

mycall0

Nov 29, 2011
The question is how long will Magisk continue to work. According to an XDA:

Full documentation on the Titan Security Module is not yet available, but a few Google engineers have posted Tweets that give us some information. First, in response to a tweet by Dees_Troy, lead developer of TWRP, Google’s tech lead for Android hardware-backed security subsystems, Shawn Willden, states that the new security module will not be used for runtime system analysis. This is important for Magisk users because hardware-backed runtime system analysis would make systemless-root much more difficult. However, Google already opened up an API for the Trusted Execution Environment (TEE), so runtime system analysis could still happen in the future (in other words, there could still be bad news for Magisk.)

Reactions: gleggie
Feb 3, 2010
I'm just surprised that nobody has confirmed that Magisk works on the P3 yet.

I mean, my phone was delivered this morning, so I assumed that tons of people all over the country were eagerly unlocking bootloaders and flashing away.

But still all quiet here on this thread?

Archangel

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
Someone on the Xl forum tried and the phone didnt boot so he had to factory flash the image. So looks like its the waiting game for root.

jsauder2

I tried to patch the boot.img through the magisk app and then flash that through fastboot. Flashed successfully but would not boot.

I have noticed that as soon as I unlocked the bootloader I fail safety net. Has that always been the case even without any system modifications?

Eudeferrer

Aug 27, 2012
Miami
I tried to patch the boot.img through the magisk app and then flash that through fastboot. Flashed successfully but would not boot.

I have noticed that as soon as I unlocked the bootloader I fail safety net. Has that always been the case even without any system modifications?

From what I understand that is the case, unless you use Magisk to "cloak" and "fool" the apps into thinking it isn't.

Reactions: jsauder2

jsauder2

No, my Nexus 5 running LineageOS has always passed with Magisk and unlocked bootloader (and Pay, etc. works).
Does it pass when it's unlocked but doesn't have magisk though? That's what I was wondering. This is really the first time I've had a phone unlocked without root (since it doesn't work yet), so I've never actually thought about that until now.

tysj

Feb 8, 2010
Does it pass when it's unlocked but doesn't have magisk though? That's what I was wondering. This is really the first time I've had a phone unlocked without root (since it doesn't work yet), so I've never actually thought about that until now.

I want to say that it was relatively recently (maybe in the last 2-2.5 years) where if you only unlocked the bootloader, it would fail SafetyNet. For a while, you had to flash a kernel on top of unlocking the bootloader to pass SafetyNet.

Reactions: jsauder2

imsaguy

Jul 22, 2007
I want to say that it was relatively recently (maybe in the last 2-2.5 years) where if you only unlocked the bootloader, it would fail SafetyNet. For a while, you had to flash a kernel on top of unlocking the bootloader to pass SafetyNet.

My experience is if I unlock bootloader, I fail SafetyNet unless Magisk is installed. Sometimes after a reboot, I still fail until I load the Magisk app and have it check once. Then the phone is fine again.

As to the original question: I installed the newest beta of Magisk on my Pixel 3 XL, downloaded the factory boot.img from Google and patched it using the app. Flashing to my active boot slot caused fastboot to complain about no valid boot images. Flashing the original boot.img allowed the phone to start normally again.

Reactions: PuffDaddy_d

marc.ientilucci

Dec 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
www.starvingmarc.com
My experience is if I unlock bootloader, I fail SafetyNet unless Magisk is installed. Sometimes after a reboot, I still fail until I load the Magisk app and have it check once. Then the phone is fine again.

As to the original question: I installed the newest beta of Magisk on my Pixel 3 XL, downloaded the factory boot.img from Google and patched it using the app. Flashing to my active boot slot caused fastboot to complain about no valid boot images. Flashing the original boot.img allowed the phone to start normally again.

confirmed same results on Pixel 3 (non XL)

Reactions: PuffDaddy_d

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't have it installed either as was having boot looping issues so I only booted to it when first setting up the phone, so to negate twrp flash all using fastboot instead?
    Here's my whole process when a monthly update comes out:

1. Freeze Play Store app with Titanium Backup
    2. Download the update from https://developers.google.com/android/images#blueline
    3. Extract it, then extract boot.img from the update zip file
    4. adb push boot.img /sdcard/Download
    5. Open Magisk Manager, pick install, and then the option to patch a boot image only, choosing the one I just downloaded, of course
    6. adb pull /sdcard/Download/patched_boot.img
    7. adb reboot bootloader
    8. Edit flash-all.bat and remove -w from the update line
    9. flash-all.bat
    10. When that finishes it reboots the phone automatically
    11. Wait for phone to fully boot (ETA: updates now continue to install in the background after boot, so check the status bar and make sure it's finished before continuing)
    12. adb reboot bootloader
    13. fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img
    14. fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
    15. fastboot reboot
    16. Wait for phone to fully boot
    17. Thaw Play Store app with Titanium Backup
    18. ...profit?
    So far I've never lost root or had Magisk fail. The main root apps I use are AdAway, Titanium Backup, and Root Explorer.
    Can you share your patched_boot.img so I can try it?

Patched November Pixel 3 boot.img:
    http://www.brasskeysoftware.com/etc/patched_boot.zip
    I used these directions and followed method 2 and worked no problem.

https://www.the***********.com/install-magisk-root-android-devices/

If the site doesnt come up here are the directions

Method 2: Patch Stock Boot Image
    First, you must grab the stock boot image for the current firmware installed on your device.
    Place the boot image on the phone’s internal storage or SD card.
    Download the Magisk Manager APK from above and install it on your device.
    Open “Magisk Manager”.
    Tap on the “Install” button and choose “Install” again.
    Select “Patch Boot Image File”.
    Navigate to the storage and select your phone’s boot image that you transferred earlier.
    Let Magisk do the job and patch the boot image.
    Once patched, copy the “patched_boot.img” file from /sdcard/MagiskManager/ to C:\adb on your PC.
    In the same folder, hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space.
    Select “Open PowerShell window here”.
    Boot your Android device into Bootloader/Fastboot mode.
    Connect your phone to the PC.
    Flash the “patched_boot.img” to install Magisk and root your Android device. Using this command
    fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
    Once done, reboot your phone using:
    fastboot reboot

What did you use to flash it... Fastboot?

Saw this link as well, but believe this to be for Pixel 3 XL... can you confirm this worked on Pixel 3?

Edit: decided to try and boot without flashing and it worked. Flashed both slot a and b and now have magisk up and running. Download link works.
    Just flashed Magisk and it is running flawlessly,,,the dev is a genius and the only one giving us root. I for one am going to donate a few bucks his way.