Pixel 3 - improve battery life

Search This thread

b1337

Jan 21, 2010
So, a quick update what I did to improve my battery life. First of all I applied the suggestions from post #2.
I also deactivated all apps from Google I don't use (like the books, games stuff).
I'm switching off WiFi via Automate (no need to discuss this - I know that this will not save humongous battery life) using 'Location based WiFi toggler'.
This is what I did. Based on my usage profile the battery will last for 1-1.5 days.

Sounds like common settings to me nothing special really

FSOP

Oct 22, 2014
settings -> system -> Advanced -> Developer Options -> System Tracing. Uncheck the Trace Debuggable Applications. Enjoy about 15% better battery life

From another thread

Q only possibly

Cheers, i've disabled it, will see if it makes a noticeable difference.

Any of you guys running Better Battery Stats? Just installed it this morning before taking my 3 XL off charge, will see if it picks up anything obvious

TGHH

Sep 20, 2017
Hamburg
Google Pixel 5
Only thing I wonder is the PowerManager wakelock stuff:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190430-135501.png
    Screenshot_20190430-135501.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 481
  • Screenshot_20190430-135516.png
    Screenshot_20190430-135516.png
    214 KB · Views: 484

FSOP

Oct 22, 2014
Maybe it's the check for the battery usage of apps? Couldn't find anything about the purpose of this service.

I switched off smart battery feature to check if this changes anything.

I wonder if it includes stuff like the 'hey Google' listening and the 'now playing' stuff, something got to be constantly waking up to listen for that stuff.

TGHH

Sep 20, 2017
Hamburg
Google Pixel 5
Today, I still have 67% battery left and used the phone like I always do.
Only thing I changed yesterday was the speed of animations and transitions in the dev settings back from 0.5 to 1. And I installed Greenify.
I have no clue if this could be the reason for the good battery (I doubt it, but in another thread I read something about the transition speed causes wakelocks. Also I doubt this).

So let's see if there is a constant change in usage.

TGHH

Sep 20, 2017
Hamburg
Google Pixel 5

I think there's not THE setting to save battery life - unfortunately. Then mentioned setting didn't improve my battery life as well. But for reasons I'm getting by now a pretty good day of juice which is perfectly fine for me.

What I still find a little bit annoying is, that it consumes about 2.5 to 3.5% while in standby. My previous Moto G5+ was at about 1.4 to 1.9%.

Ahh wait - I'm now on 1.9%/h in standby as well - but I don't know why. :rolleyes:

optionalmgrr.la

Sep 5, 2015
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9ZLzgvODM3MTUyL29yaWdpbmFsL1RHX0JlbmNobWFyay1CYXR0ZXJ5X1BpeGVsM2EuanBn

Why does 3a has so much better battery life than 3? Can we achieve similar result on 3 by software optimization? Thanks.

totib38

Jan 14, 2019
Hello everyone,
Do you think the pixel 3 is a good value phone today ?
I can have pixel 3 black in 128go for 400 € so I'm hesitating .....
Did the lasts updates improved battery life ?
Or it is more efficient to change the kernel to improve battery life ?
Thanks for your advices ?

b1337

Jan 21, 2010
Hello everyone,

Get a pixel 3a

kend0g

Sep 11, 2013
Hello everyone,

I got a vzw pixel 3 last week, for the first week the battery seemed like real **** but the last couple days after doing a few things it seems to be alot better now.. Give me another day and I'll post screen shots

AndroidGX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
★ Montpellier ★
Personally at 65% = I have regularly 1 hour of SOT.
This is the worst device I had until now in term of battery life.. :eek:
I really hope Pixel 4 will get MUCH improvements on this important section.

TimLux

Apr 4, 2019
I still say this strongly depends on what usage pattern you have. I regularly get 6 hours of SoT without using WiFi while at work (because there isn't any) and Spotify via Bluetooth for 4 hours a day. Have you tried the suggestions others (and myself) made in this thread?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    settings -> system -> Advanced -> Developer Options -> System Tracing. Uncheck the Trace Debuggable Applications. Enjoy about 15% better battery life

From another thread

Q only possibly
    Unlock
    Root
    Elemental kernel
    Substratum swift black theme
    Profit
    Never had a problem with this since Nexus one
    Well, it's not about the process of unlocking and rooting the phone, but just the legal side.
    I would not get any service for free if I unlocked it.

I rooted every phone I had but as my Pixel is new I will wait till I'm sure that there are no hardware problems occurring.
    So, a quick update what I did to improve my battery life. First of all I applied the suggestions from post #2.
    I also deactivated all apps from Google I don't use (like the books, games stuff).
    I'm switching off WiFi via Automate (no need to discuss this - I know that this will not save humongous battery life) using 'Location based WiFi toggler'.
    This is what I did. Based on my usage profile the battery will last for 1-1.5 days.
    Opening this thread because battery life could be better even though it's only ~2950mAh. Currently I'm getting a bettery life of 20h with moderate usage. So I started to gather infos about how to reduce battery drain and usage.

Improvements:
    - AlwaysOnDisplay: off
    - Playing now: off
    - reduce brightness

Are there any Google APPs which can be safely deactivated without getting the phone lunatic nor have heavy impact on the system?

And why is the Google APP so large? On my Moto G5+ it was around 35MB and now it's ten times bigger?

I wondered the same as you before receiving my Pixel 3. Comjing from a Galaxy S8 battery / SoT was always an issue, I barely made it trough a whole day of work without recharging at 5 PM.
    With the Pixel 3 I did the following:
    - Set it up and migrate everything from the S8 (via the Assistant in the Setup screen)
    - Restored my ringtones and Notification sounds
    - disabled the following Apps (because I don't use them): Action Services, Android Auto, Chrome, Connectivity Health Services, Device Health Services, Device Policy, Gmail (I use Aquamail instead), Google Connectivity Services, Google Play Movies, Google Play Music, Google Suport Services, Live Transcribe, Pixel Ambient Services, Youtube (I prefer Youtube Vanced and MigroG instead)
    - Set up a ton of Cal and Carddav Accounts for my personal cloud services
    - Disabled the automativ battery saver (which would kick in at 15% by default)
    - Set up Automate: toogle WiFi on automatically when I reach a specific location (I know this is build in, but with the build in version it doesn't switch of when I leave the location) and disable it when I leave, Disable Bluetooth when not in use for 5 Minutes, automatically activate DnD when I'm charging after a specific Time (I charge every night) and disable it when I remove it from the Qi Charger

That's what I set up because of my experience with the S8 and because I want most things automatically done.
    Yesterday I pushed the phone to the limit (a whole workday plus 2 Hours Spotify and 3 Hours Gaming):
    imagebanana.com/s/1383/8vZEWmFF.html

P.S.:Sorry for the broken Link, just copy the Link into your webbrowser. I lost my old account and had to set up a new one, where I will be allowed to post links after 10 Posts