FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Charging speed

812 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,696

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 14th September 2018, 01:15 PM | Average Rating:
Post Reply Email Thread
To power up, you consume Red Bull. But your phone just needs its adaptive fast charger. Rate this thread to express how quickly the Google Pixel 3 can charge. A higher rating indicates that it charges extremely fast.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

6th November 2018, 02:48 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
The Pixel and Pixel 2 used to charge "fine" through a PC port. The pixel 3 charges extremely slowly. For example my Pixel 2 would be at 50% battery and using the USB port on my car it would be close to 90% when I got home. Under the same situation, the Pixel 3 would only be at 55%. Same problem using the PC port. I know I know it's NOT supposed to be fast charge but I am only stating the facts and differences. Stock charger charges fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Powergreb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Powergreb Ad-Free
6th November 2018, 03:57 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Pixel 3 charges very slowly on my existing 2.4A (per port) multi usb charger. Clearly it's not a PD charger, but it always provided enough juice for my nexus 5x to charge quickly. Clearly the pixel 3 doesn't like it.
7th November 2018, 05:36 PM |#4  
Can confirm this also. Ampere indicates that it pulls less than 200mA on any non-USB type C charger. This is different from my previous Pixel 2.
7th November 2018, 10:52 PM |#5  
Flag Hull
Thanks Meter: 0

More
With Samsung fast wireless charger, s9 goes from 20%to 100 in less than 2 h, pixel 3 charged only 25% in 2 h....... Charging speed is awfull if you don't use Google chargers
8th November 2018, 12:25 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nondoB

Can confirm this also. Ampere indicates that it pulls less than 200mA on any non-USB type C charger. This is different from my previous Pixel 2.

Something is not right there. I see around 1000 mA with an old 1.0A charger and around 1300 mA with various 2.4A ones. Even with 'slow' wireless I see 500-600 mA

Sent from my Pixel 3 using XDA Labs
8th November 2018, 01:31 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
With Nov security update. No improvements. It charges fine with pd charger but insanely slow with any other.
8th November 2018, 04:42 AM |#8  
Flag Anchorage, AK
Thanks Meter: 89

More
My Pixel 3 charges plenty fast for me. Although, I typically use my Dell Latitude 20v (45W) PD charger.
8th November 2018, 04:27 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 124

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccit

Something is not right there. I see around 1000 mA with an old 1.0A charger and around 1300 mA with various 2.4A ones. Even with 'slow' wireless I see 500-600 mA

Sent from my Pixel 3 using XDA Labs

I'm not an expert at this stuff and certainly might be missing something but charging at 1000mA from a 1A charger should be physically impossible. Wouldn't that be 100% efficiency?
8th November 2018, 04:36 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Yup.. Charging is too slow.. Infact, the charging time estimated (which is shown on the lock screen when the phone is being charged) is also wrong.. May be it gets adjusted over time...
8th November 2018, 05:19 PM |#11  
Flag Anchorage, AK
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquill1800

Yup.. Charging is too slow.. Infact, the charging time estimated (which is shown on the lock screen when the phone is being charged) is also wrong.. May be it gets adjusted over time...

The estimate is adjusted over time. To my knowledge, all fast charge technologies are able to charge much quicker when the battery is low, but then slow the charge down as the battery approaches a fully charged state/heats up. The estimate would simply be a guess, since they likely are, app status, ambient temperature and battery condition dependent.

This can be seen in the graph on xda's quick charging comparison. Note that all the technologies start out quite fast but eventually taper off. Also note that USB-PD is the slowest (most conservative) of the technologies after the battery gets to about %40 charge.

https://www.xda-developers.com/charg...neplus-huawei/

I would add that my new pixel 3 does appear to charge a little slower than some of my previous devices, however I've got several devices that use USB-PD so the versatility of USB-PD and ability to use one charger across my devices more than makes up for the extra 30 minutes or so of cellphone charge time. Guess everyone's expectations are different.
The Following User Says Thank You to acruxksa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift acruxksa Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)